Cruelty free lobster pot

Started by Emeraldlis, January 11, 2018, 11:58:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Emeraldlis

It's about time this started to happen. Switzerland have passed a law that lobsters have to be stunned, before they are cooked.

https://www.rte.ie/amp/932447/

I was in a seafood restaurant once in Portugal, and there was a huge tank full of live lobsters. One of the waiters took one out for some of the children to have a look at. And they are awesome to look at up close! And boy can they move! One ended up on the floor and nearly legged it out the door!

And just the thought of one of those lobsters being thrown alive into boiling water, makes me angry  :tickedoff:

I know in other places, lobsters are at least put to sleep in a freezer first, before being cooked. But that still doesn't make them dead  :-\

I think this needs to happen everywhere, that lobsters are stunned and preferably dead before cooking. I would then order lobster in a restaurant, rather than just buying from say a fresh fish market.
"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm " winston Churchill 😉
"Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune , or to take arms against a sea of trouble ,and by opposing end them "  hamlet  🎭

A bad hobbit is hard to break - Staggerwing
Booooo!!!!! Repeat !!!!!!!   - MetalDog

bbmike

I use a type-1 hand phaser. They don't feel a thing.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

bbmike

On a more serious note, what about live crabs?
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

DoctorQuest

Admitting you have a problem is the first step.
"Everything you read on the internet is true." - Benjamin Franklin

"Zero-G and I feel fine....." - John Glenn

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, inventor of the alternative fact.

Emeraldlis

I'm going to admit BBMike, that I just fell for the type 1 hand phaser, hook,line and sinker  :DD I thought it was an actual device used in cooking... That I'd just never heard of! But Google just provided me with the star trek trivia, that it's the taser weapon... Sigh!

You got me  :bd:  You svine!!!!!!!! Lol

Quote from: bbmike on January 11, 2018, 12:05:32 PM
"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm " winston Churchill 😉
"Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune , or to take arms against a sea of trouble ,and by opposing end them "  hamlet  🎭

Barthheart

#:-)

You know these things are basically sea cockroaches right? You know that the sound coming from the cooking pot is not the lobster screaming but just steam escaping from the shell?

From the article:
QuoteAccording to Swiss public broadcaster RTS, only electric shock or the "mechanical destruction" of the lobster's brain will be accepted methods of stunning the animals once the new rule takes effect.

How exactly are they going to enforce this? Spies in ever kitchen?

bbmike

Quote from: Emeraldlis on January 11, 2018, 12:14:59 PM
I'm going to admit BBMike, that I just fell for the type 1 hand phaser, hook,line and sinker  :DD I thought it was an actual device used in cooking... That I'd just never heard of! But Google just provided me with the star trek trivia, that it's the taser weapon... Sigh!

You got me  :bd:  You svine!!!!!!!! Lol

Quote from: bbmike on January 11, 2018, 12:05:32 PM

>:D
-Sherlock Holmes

-The Doctor

-Clifford D. Simak

Sir Slash

Crustacean Lives Matter! You knew it was coming. In a related move, today sharks announced they also would stun all their prey before ripping it to shreds. Can Barracudas be far behind?
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Emeraldlis

Quote from: Barthheart on January 11, 2018, 12:20:29 PM
#:-)

You know these things are basically sea cockroaches right? You know that the sound coming from the cooking pot is not the lobster screaming but just steam escaping from the shell?

From the article:
QuoteAccording to Swiss public broadcaster RTS, only electric shock or the "mechanical destruction" of the lobster's brain will be accepted methods of stunning the animals once the new rule takes effect.

How exactly are they going to enforce this? Spies in ever kitchen?

So you think it's OK to throw a live animal into boiling water? As a way to kill it? Imagine if that was being done with live chickens.... Or live any other animal  :-\  I don't care if it is a "sea cockroach", it's still an animal.

I would also hope that's chefs in kitchens would not mind taking an extra minute or two, to make sure that an animal that we are going to eat, is treated humanely first. And yes, I know it's not the lobster screaming in the pot. But if you can give an animal the least pain as it dies, what's wrong with that?

You can mock me all you like. But this actually matters to me.

Sir Slash

All animals should be treated as humanely as possible whether they're to be killed or left alive. The danger here is some extreme-types that will tell me I'm a Nazi for eating at Red Lobster.  :peace:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Barthheart

Quote from: Emeraldlis on January 11, 2018, 02:18:59 PM
But if you can give an animal the least pain as it dies, what's wrong with that?

How is mashing it's brains out or electrocuting it less pain than boiling water? Why is it OK to just stun the creature before boiling? It's still alive when that happens. To make any sense the law should require you to kill the creature "gently" before boiling... maybe gas it.

Do you worry about how fish are killed? The are basically suffocated when pulled out of the water in nets and dumped in the ship hold while still alive.

Emeraldlis

Quote from: Sir Slash on January 11, 2018, 02:33:54 PM
All animals should be treated as humanely as possible whether they're to be killed or left alive. The danger here is some extreme-types that will tell me I'm a Nazi for eating at Red Lobster.  :peace:

I'm not an extreme type. I'm not about to "lobby" outside your restaurant about you eating lobster, in the way that you chose to do it :)

Quote from: Barthheart on January 11, 2018, 02:34:29 PM
Quote from: Emeraldlis on January 11, 2018, 02:18:59 PM
But if you can give an animal the least pain as it dies, what's wrong with that?

To make any sense the law should require you to kill the creature "gently" before boiling... maybe gas it.

Do you worry about how fish are killed? The are basically suffocated when pulled out of the water in nets and dumped in the ship hold while still alive.

I agree with what you're saying Barthheart. Gasing would be better.The animal should be dead before its cooked, I think.  I just thought when I read the article, well at least it's a start in recognising what I feel is a problem.

I have thought about how fish die. But when we cook fish, they're already dead. That's my only point that I'm trying to make really. I'm not an animal extremist. I'm not against fishing or catching and killing fish. The only way to kill a fish is by it coming out of the water. But I'm not going to throw it alive into a pan!

Jarhead0331

A recent scientific report from Norway (go figure) finds that animals like lobsters have nervous systems that are too simple to process what we call "pain."

QuoteAccording to Yaksh, primitive animals like lobsters have the ability to perceive and respond to a "noxious stimulus," that is, any agent that can cause physical harm like tissue damage.

"When you deal with a non-verbal animal, and when you see a lobster in boiling water, you know that's a noxious stimulus," said Yaksh.

But scientists like Yaksh stop short of calling what the lobster feels "pain" -- or pain as humans know it. The difference, Yaksh explained, is in our feelings. "There's a strong emotional component to what we call pain," he said.

It is this emotional component that helps us remember what causes pain, said Yaksh. "It's one of those things that drives you to avoid those [painful] things in the future," he said.

But animals with simple nervous systems, like lobsters, snails and worms, do not have the ability to process emotional information and therefore do not experience suffering, say most researchers.

The moral of the story. I wouldn't be losing sleep over boiling lobsters.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

undercovergeek

And don't google what they do to male live chicks and ducklings in China