New Year's resolutions...what are they good for?

Started by Toonces, December 31, 2017, 10:34:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

airboy

Toonces/Trailrunner - I admire your workout routines.

undercovergeek

I promise not to get into a murderous rage of hate when people in front of me can't even WALK IN A STRAIGHT FKNG LINE at the supermarket

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Toonces

LOL Airboy.  Right now my workout routine is purely aspirational. 

"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Dammit Carl!

(Looks at posted resolutions and two empty wine bottles in front of me in the kitchen)

Yeah. I can see the need to dial back on the booze too.

So, I'm down for more gym time as this 46 year old needs it.

Gonna get some rpg gaming on. To wit; I've volunteered for a CoC game that may or may not involve being recorded/podcasted. Still awaiting details there.

Also gonna get more "creative." Food, music (via playing bass) and doing some voice actor work. Have a gig lined up there with several parts. Excited about that one.

Lastly, I'm getting out of the military. 22 years is enough. While I've been strictly in the Reserves the whole time, 22 years is still quite a while.  Can't wait.  And I bet I just jinxed the shit out of that, didn't I?

Dammit, Carl.

MetalDog

Congrats, and thank you for your service!  Really cool about that voice acting.  Always felt I'd missed an opportunity there.  What kind of voice acting are you doing?  TV, games, commercials?
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Dammit Carl!

Supposed to be for a "radio play," sort of thing.

I've adored those sorts of things forever. From Prarie Home to old serials and any number of modern podcast offerings, I love the having-to-use-the-imagination aspect the most.

Barthheart

Quote from: airboy on December 31, 2017, 01:31:26 PM
Quote from: Barthheart on December 31, 2017, 12:12:58 PM
My dog, who's 15, now has to get up at 5 am to pee so I want to stay up and get some exercise in instead of shambling back to bed. It's only an hour early for me but man it's hard some times.

Doc says I need to cut back on my alcohol intake as it's some how affecting my HDL levels. So, no booze at all during the week and only a beer or glass of wine or 2 on Fri/Sat or Sat/Sun. This ones gonna be hard to keep.

We have two ancient dogs (14 and 17?) and one is deaf, almost blind, and incontinent.  I feel your pain.

I don't understand the HDL - Alcohol connection.  Alcohol usually lowers HDL mildly.  Docs don't prescribe moderate alcohol consumption because some become alcoholics which is very bad compared to high HDL.

Are you on any of the statins?  I had to go on them when I was 30 because I had the cholesterol of a 450 pound couch potato.  We've met, so you know it was due to genetics.  If you HDL is high, there are a lot of treatments for it.  High HDL is associated with heart disease, so paying attention to this can be important.  I'm not that kind of Dr., but I've had a genetic predisposition to very high generic cholesterol and extremely high HDL which was easily taken care of with ordinary statins.

Sorry to ramble on, but I had heart surgery at 53 with 90%+ blockage and I was on the drugs for almost 25 years at that point.  It strikes close to home.

Apparently, my HDL to LDL ratio is what's bothering my Doc. My LDL level is only slightly elevated but my HDL level is extremely low. Mostly genetics but little to no exercise and too much drinking aren't helping at all.

Toonces

Very nice, Carl.

I hit 22 years tomorrow, but I was made an offer I can't refuse, so I'm in at least another 4 years.  Go you!
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

Dammit Carl!

Gracias.  Besides, I'm not high speed enough to warrant sticking around any longer than I have already.  Don't want to get out of my mid-level NCO rut either as I don't delegate well.

But go you!  Got more spunk than I do.

Steelgrave

My New Years resolution is to reduce the number of Steam games I own but have never played. I'll start after I wrap up my latest Civ VI campaign   O0

Gusington

^I will happily take your discarded game refuse.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Steelgrave

But Gus, I might play them some day! It could happen!

Gusington

^I will happily take your discarded game refuse.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Centurion40

I resolve to avoid any firm resolutions. I would like to learn to play a song on my guitar, and lose some weight. Oh, and maybe complete a draft of a novel before the aliens are unveiled by Tom Delong.
Any time is a good time for pie.