Previous topic - Next topic

JudgeDredd

Any US personnel gone to see this yet?

It's not out in the UK until January
Alba gu' brath

Gusington

I am planning to see it this weekend.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

Whoa! A movie WE actually get to see first. And it's about a British PM? Now I gotta see it.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Martok

Of all the films that are out right now, this is by far the one I most want to see.  Of course, neither of my local theaters are going to be showing it.  >:( 
"Like we need an excuse to drink to anything..." - Banzai_Cat
"I like to think of it not as an excuse but more like Pavlovian Response." - Sir Slash

"At our ages, they all look like jailbait." - mirth

"If we had lines here that would have crossed all of them. For the 1,077,986th time." - Gusington

"Government is so expensive that it should at least be entertaining." - airboy

"As long as there's bacon, everything will be all right." - Toonces

Grim.Reaper

saw today...good film, i wasn't as familiar with churchill as he assumed leadership so was good education for me.  seemed like gary oldham did an excellent job with the role.  liked it even better than dunkirk:)

JudgeDredd

Alba gu' brath

Sir Slash

The wife and I caught this one last night and we both thought it was excellent. Gray Oldman's performance was simply superb. He turns Churchill from a faceless, historical figure into someone I feel like I've now met and know personally, kind of like a favorite uncle. The other actors who play the King, Chamberlain, and Lord Halifax as well as the actress who plays Mrs. Churchill, were all excellent too. Great story and very inspirational in it's presentation. One minor complaint would be, I felt the film depicts Churchill as somewhat, repeat SOMEWHAT, of a loveable, old buffoon who drinks too much and wise-cracks everyone and was out-maneuvered politically by the more suave Chamberlain and Halifax and kind of addled at times. Odd and a bit quirky yes, but I've always felt Churchill had the mind of a steel trap and with his knowledge and vast experience was more than a match politically for anybody in or out of Parliament. But I'll let others who know more about this than I do make that judgement and see if anyone else agrees with my feelings on this. Either way, it was an excellent film and if Oldman doesn't win every acting award there is, he should turn back into Count Dracula and eat them all. I say 8 out of 10.  :peace:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

airboy

Have any of you seen this movie?  If so, how was it?

airboy

Probably catch this on DVD.  Thanks for the review I'm looking forward to seeing this.

JudgeDredd

Quote from: Sir Slash on December 31, 2017, 03:57:45 PM
The wife and I caught this one last night and we both thought it was excellent. Gray Oldman's performance was simply superb. He turns Churchill from a faceless, historical figure into someone I feel like I've now met and know personally, kind of like a favorite uncle. The other actors who play the King, Chamberlain, and Lord Halifax as well as the actress who plays Mrs. Churchill, were all excellent too. Great story and very inspirational in it's presentation. One minor complaint would be, I felt the film depicts Churchill as somewhat, repeat SOMEWHAT, of a loveable, old buffoon who drinks too much and wise-cracks everyone and was out-maneuvered politically by the more suave Chamberlain and Halifax and kind of addled at times. Odd and a bit quirky yes, but I've always felt Churchill had the mind of a steel trap and with his knowledge and vast experience was more than a match politically for anybody in or out of Parliament. But I'll let others who know more about this than I do make that judgement and see if anyone else agrees with my feelings on this. Either way, it was an excellent film and if Oldman doesn't win every acting award there is, he should turn back into Count Dracula and eat them all. I say 8 out of 10.  :peace:
Thanks  O0 This one's on my hit list.

And because you've all been good, here's Gary Oldman as Winston Churchill dancing to James Brown...enjoy

Alba gu' brath

besilarius

Hardest working man in show biz entertains man with the hardest job of 1940.
"Most gods throw dice, but Fate plays chess, and you don't find out until too late that he's been playing with two queens all along".  Terry Pratchett.

During filming of Airplane, Leslie Nielsen used a whoopee cushion to keep the cast off-balance. Hays said that Nielsen "played that thing like a maestro"

Tallulah Bankhead: "I'll come and make love to you at five o'clock. If I'm late, start without me."

"When all other trusts fail, turn to Flashman." — Abraham Lincoln.

"I have enjoyed very warm relations with my two husbands."
"With your eyes closed?"
"That helped."  Lauren Bacall

Master Chiefs are sneaky, dastardly, and snarky miscreants who thrive on the tears of Ensigns and belly dancers.   Admiral Gerry Bogan.

Emeraldlis

I really want to see this movie. I saw Oldman being interviewed about it on a chat show, it took him 4 hours to get into costume everyday to play this part! And he seemed to have a genuine respect for  Churchill, and the period of history he was portraying.

I really like Winston Churchill. There's a series on Netflix called The crown, it's primarily about how Elizabeth ll became the current queen of great Britain, and her reign. Which is interesting in and of itself. But the actor John lithgow plays Winston... And, wow, he does a great job! And I love that series because I have an interest in Winston Churchill.

So I'm hoping Gary Oldman matches up to John Lithgows portrayal in this new movie. It was great reading what you all thought of the movie, and ya'll seem to be giving it the thumbs up, so I'm excited to go and see it! See how Winston sidestepped Hitler!

And Winston dancing to James brown is the coolest thing I've seen so far... In 2018, lol :)
"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm " winston Churchill 😉
"Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune , or to take arms against a sea of trouble ,and by opposing end them "  hamlet  🎭

A bad hobbit is hard to break - Staggerwing
Booooo!!!!! Repeat !!!!!!!   - MetalDog

Gusington

The Crown is a great show.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Emeraldlis

I actually feel a little bit sorry for prince Philip after watching the crown. He's often lampooned as a figure of fun. But he actually had a lot to put up with. It can't be easy for him as a husband, always playing second fiddle to his wife's duty as monarch.

And I think one of the most moving moments of that series, is when Winston is having his portrait painted for the nation to keep. And he starts to talk about the death of his daughter when she was only about 5. He tells the painter, that he always paints pictures of his gold fish pond. And then you find out that his daughter was called marigold.... And maybe he's always painting his goldfish as a way to work through the grief that he feels about his daughter dying, even though that was years ago  :'(

The whole series is very well acted though. And Claire foy does a great job of portraying a young queen, and all the stress that goes with that duty of monarchy.
"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm " winston Churchill 😉
"Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune , or to take arms against a sea of trouble ,and by opposing end them "  hamlet  🎭

A bad hobbit is hard to break - Staggerwing
Booooo!!!!! Repeat !!!!!!!   - MetalDog

Gusington

Some of the best moments of The Crown are the ones including Churchill, I agree.

That said, I just watched the season 2 episode centered on King Edward VIII and his canoodling with the top Nazi hierarchy before and during WWII. What a fantastic episode.

Also, the way The Crown portrays Phillip and Elizabeth's marriage absolutely reminds me of my own marriage and The Wife agrees. She was raised to be a Winner in All Things, and I...well, I'm me :/...just Phillip!

My daughters, from the glimpses they have got of The Crown, can't believe that both Phillip and Elizabeth are still alive, btw.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd