Ranger + Xpac (Omega)

Started by Nefaro, December 17, 2017, 09:24:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nefaro

I did not know Omega Games had created an updated version of Ranger, plus an expansion. 

Had picked up the old one sometime back in the '90s.  Enjoyed a mission or two, but it disappeared shortly afterward and had forgotten about it until seeing some recent mentions.

http://www.omegagames.com/omega/do/military/product/omegagames/AutoForward?forward=Ranger.pagedef

Gonna have to budget funds towards the core & xpac in the coming months.  I recall it being rather different than most wargames; quite interesting.

Has anyone picked up the new edition?  Specifically wondering if the expansion has much interesting stuff in it.

bayonetbrant

not sure about new edition but just FYI there likely won't be any new editions since Bill Gibbs passed away last year
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

BanzaiCat

I own it. I got a copy of it a while back - not too long for it to be the original from the 80s. It was a a year or so before he passed away.

I don't own the expansions, though, so I couldn't speak to those or what they add.

Nefaro

Saw the following vid in my suggested viewing feed on YT, and it brought back some old memories of the game.  On the wishlist now.  :nerd:

Quote from: bayonetbrant on December 17, 2017, 10:04:23 PM
not sure about new edition but just FYI there likely won't be any new editions since Bill Gibbs passed away last year

Sorry to hear that.

Did he do the update and expansion content himself?  Thought I saw some others credited for some parts, but maybe I'm thinking of a different game.

BanzaiCat

I thought he was a one-man show back in the mid-2000s when I met him at one of the cons, but surely someone is running Omega now. Know anything, Brant?

bayonetbrant

AFAIK, his wife is still fulfilling orders for existing stock.  But I'd be very surprised if any new development / reprints were going on.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

BanzaiCat

I've not dived into the game at all, but it's always been something I've wanted to try because it's so different.