The painting urge is strong - cannot resist

Started by undercovergeek, December 12, 2017, 02:11:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

undercovergeek

The guys of 1st Squad, Standard Heer Army - each squad will consist of 7 men - 3 assault rifle troops, 1 one of which also has a panzerfaust, 2 riflemen, 1 one of which is the loader for the LMG, an LMG, and an NCO with MP40 - this squad just needs the NCO and the 3rd assault rifleman

bob48

They really look great 'Geek. Nice work!  :bd: :bd:
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Nefaro

You've been busy, UCG! 

Looking great!   :bd:

acctingman

Goof lord UCG....those are stunning. I'm envious of your skills!  :notworthy:

BanzaiCat

Barthheart

undercovergeek

Thankyou all - I have some new men coming in the post

acctingman

UCG.....care to share how your painting those? I watched that guys video about inks but he's doing that on large scale creatures. Not sure inking would work on 15mm?

Great job regardless. It's inspirational!!

undercovergeek

Ahh the inks guy - that was for skaven or night goblins I was thinking about

These are just old fashioned painting, models sprayed with uniform grey primer a quick mess about with milliputty to make the hoods and scarves, trousers are a light brown base coat, red and green camo and then a dark wash, coat is a very very light grey and then a dark wash, gun is a very dark grey with a dark wash and then a dry brush of gun metal, face is a pale flesh and then a flesh wash and a very thin red ink for red cheeks and noses for the winter climate - that's pretty much it

After gaining a lot of confidence with these chaps I've decided on a traditional German heer in standard uniform, it's a simple scheme but I really like the feldgrau colour - I'll post when my first one is painted up

undercovergeek

Sooooooooooooo, slight change of plan - i ordered a sprue or two off Ebay, always a good idea before laying out the big bucks, of both Blitzkrieg Heer infantry and Early German infantry - the Blitzkrieg models are great with leatherboots and neat uniforms, same as the early ones - however - i think both these sets were done before Warlord Games adopted the more GW 'heroic scale' for the figures - so with heroic scale you admitedly get out of proportion hands and faces similar to space marines, and this maybe the weird scale you guys first mentioned at the start of the thread - but you also get a better level of detail with heroic

what they also started doing recently was creating a complete set of arms holding a weapon - so left arm and right arm holding a rifle, fully scaled and sculpted. What you do with the old kits is choose a left arm, and a right arm, and a weapon to sit in the hands youve chosen and glue it all together so the gun never really looks like its in the hands, more on the hands, and the hands!! ........ because theyre so small they look like little mittens with hardly any seperate finger detail and if you get flashing on there too - youve got a proper melty looking hand right out in front of your guy for everyone to see first

What we need then is a more modern set of figures, big hands, premoulded arms with weapons, Germans - this leaves us the SS or late war Grenadiers. I have a grenadier sprue and i like the figures, but i have a box of SS i was using to make the winter troops.

Ive opted for SS, i like the figures, the mouldings, the poses and especially the smocks - im going with Oak Leaf Spring camo and this is where were at so far

bob48

'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

undercovergeek

Quote from: bob48 on February 25, 2018, 05:06:26 PM
Armed with the StG 44, I see.

He is - I think the ss can take all assault rifles but I think it's frowned upon

undercovergeek

Assault gun guy done, and now the squad NCO with MP40

My efforts so far

Staggerwing

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys