WAR OF RIGHTS - First 20 minute play with people. CIVIL WAR FPS

Started by Destraex, December 08, 2017, 06:58:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Destraex

That is true. But to be honest. I have only done initial recon for this game.
Even with a few people though it seems fun. With four of us we successfully bayonet charged over a bridge for instance. Carrying all comers. Then got surrounded as we over reached.
The people are mature but can be over bearing. Which is better than holdfasts population of immature rugrats who can barely string coherent sentences together.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Destraex

They seem very dedicated.

Jarhead0331

Seems like MMOs suffer from either one of two problems. They either have a large community of immature simpletons, or a very small community of dedicated, hardcore cadre. Either problem results in an underwhelming and disappointing experience. Its why I typically avoid these kind of games at all costs, no matter how interested I am in the source material, or how good the game looks. 

If you want to see some Civil War single player action done surprisingly well...check out an older title called Darkest of Days. It involves time travel to both past and future times, but I found the Civil War sequences to be surprisingly enjoyable.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Slick Wilhelm

IronX

I've been tempted to pick it up myself, but the cost for participating in the alpha is off-putting. I'll keep it on my radar as it does look good.

Destraex

Has anybody got any preference as to which side to join and how to choose between them?

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Destraex on December 13, 2017, 05:14:32 PM
Has anybody got any preference as to which side to join and how to choose between them?

That is a hard question to answer without knowing how the game handles historical differences in troops that fought on each side. Are differences cosmetic, only, or are things like morale, leadership and quality of weaponry modeled? I'd be surprised if such things were actually accounted for in terms of game mechanics. Also, does the game focus on any particular time period of the war? This could be relevant because as the war dragged on and the confederacy lost men and territory, its ability to wage the war degraded.

In general, Confederate leadership was regarded as superior, particularly early in the war. In addition, Confederate troops are generally thought of to have been superior marksmen and more hardy on the march and out in the wilderness. To the contrary, Federal forces generally had superior equipment, weapons and uniforms. The discrepancy was most notable in artillery, as the South had few ordnance factories and foundries with no access to steel/iron and the union blockade increasingly prevented the Confederacy from procuring other raw and manufactured resources and war materials.

Again, I would be surprised if these factors that impacted the war are modeled in the game. 
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Destraex

Thank you for the summary. I was also after peoples sentiments on the two sides.
As a reward I will give you something better than a cookie, a pictorial answer to your previous question. :P

Jarhead0331

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Destraex

Are the Shelby Foote The Civil War Volumes worth getting on kindle? Or are their too many illustrations?

I have two books in a set on civil war uniforms

I have a Vital Guide called "Battles of the American Civil War". This book only details in summary what the author considered major battles.

I own Gods & Generals and Gettysburg on blu ray.

I have just picked back up Bernard Cornwell's "Battle Flag" and ordered the last book "the bloody ground".

But as you can see I am missing a really authorative history of the civil war that really lends itself to me knowing what I am talking about. Is Shelby Foote's The Civil War: A Narrative set of three books what I am looking for?
It is very old. Before I was born in fact. 1958 is when the first one was published. 100 years or so after the event.

Destraex

Games are funny these days. I generally want to play wargames without listening to people who believe that swearing is cool and so use it as much as possible.
But there are some who claim it is realistic in a wargame and should be in as much as possible.

http://www.warofrightsforum.com/showthread.php?4843-Swearing-and-General-Rudeness-filter-Bad-experience-today

Slick Wilhelm

Quote from: Destraex on December 15, 2017, 08:23:25 AM
Are the Shelby Foote The Civil War Volumes worth getting on kindle? Or are their too many illustrations?

They are worth getting on Kindle. That's where I read the trilogy. Just be aware that it's a narrative, so in my biased Yankee opinion, he waxes a bit too poetically on the Southern generals. You're going to get great detail on what kind of man President Jefferson Davis was, for instance, while downplaying the fact that he was a traitor to his country. That being said, it's an entertaining read.

Personally, I prefer James McPherson's "Battle Cry of Freedom", and all of the ACW books by Stephen W. Sears. 

Destraex

I got the first one and have read the first few pages. Very entertaining so far. But I would have liked for the book to start a little earlier so I could have the conditions and causes being imposed on the south explained in detail.

Toonces

If you're going to start reading about the Civil War, McPherson's Battle Cry of Freedom is a great start.  Then jump into Foote's trilogy.  Foote takes a long time to get through and goes into a lot of detail.  I've been working on it for about a year and am just now finally finishing book 3.  It's good, but not a quick read at all.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

mirth

Quote from: Toonces on December 18, 2017, 02:31:57 PM
If you're going to start reading about the Civil War, McPherson's Battle Cry of Freedom is a great start.

+1
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus