Have You Guys Played Basic Fantasy Roleplaying?

Started by Cheimison, November 07, 2017, 02:47:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cheimison

I got an Amazon card for my birthday, so I naturally decided to buy books that are free online - Basic Fantasy Roleplaying, the BF1 Morgansfort campaign and the Basic Fantasy Field Guide. Have you folks got any experience playing this game?
I tried to run it like ten years ago, but running an RPG off the computer is a total pain in the ass.

bayonetbrant

Bison has played w/ them a bit.  I believe he ran some games w/ the kids using the BFRP system.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Nefaro

I don't specifically have BRP, but I'm familiar with other systems which are based on it's d100 mechanics.

I'm not a big fan of d100 systems, as mentioned here elsewhere, because the rolls tend to be quite swing-y and the possible hordes of situational modifiers makes it feel like I'm Spock calculating the odds all the time.   "Captain, I calculate we have only an 8 percent chance of success in this endeavor."  Kinda pulls me out of the moment with the constant percentages.   #:-)

Yet some people like it.

I do have some good things to say about related titles.  Such as Call Of Cthulhu and Runequest.  I think it's mostly to do with the added thematic content, however.

Cheimison

Quote from: Nefaro on November 07, 2017, 11:43:49 AM
I don't specifically have BRP, but I'm familiar with other systems which are based on it's d100 mechanics.

I'm not a big fan of d100 systems, as mentioned here elsewhere, because the rolls tend to be quite swing-y and the possible hordes of situational modifiers makes it feel like I'm Spock calculating the odds all the time.   "Captain, I calculate we have only an 8 percent chance of success in this endeavor."  Kinda pulls me out of the moment with the constant percentages.   #:-)

Yet some people like it.

I do have some good things to say about related titles.  Such as Call Of Cthulhu and Runequest.  I think it's mostly to do with the added thematic content, however.
Heh, I think you're thinking of BRP ;-)
I have BRP and Runequest 6. I do like the d100 system, but especially RuneQuest 6, which is probably the most realistic rpg aside from GURPS (granting that there is magic and tree people and so forth).

Nefaro

Aww hell.

I'm guessing BFRP (?) is another D&D OSR then?  I don't pay much attention to those, except maybe DCC.

I keep getting those old letter salads mixed up.  Think I've already done that with these specific sets at least once before, here, too.  :clap:

Cheimison

Quote from: Nefaro on November 09, 2017, 12:10:09 PM
Aww hell.

I'm guessing BFRP (?) is another D&D OSR then?  I don't pay much attention to those, except maybe DCC.

I keep getting those old letter salads mixed up.  Think I've already done that with these specific sets at least once before, here, too.  :clap:
LOL they're pretty similar initialisms.
BFRP is one of the oldest OSRs, from 2006. It's also super cheap, even compared to OSRIC.

Bison

Not sure how much I can help, but did you have any specific questions?  Basic Fantasy is about as simple as they come in terms of gameplay mechanics.  I'd look at the supplemental material on the BFRPG website.  You can get more races, classes, spells, equipment, etc...most of it is one or two pages to print.