Mount and Blade Bannerlord

Started by Bison, June 12, 2017, 08:48:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArizonaTank

I have been waiting for Bannerlord so long that I almost forgot it was out there. I was even starting to suspect the project was dead. 

But then I saw the latest dev post.  I'll spare the details, but sounds like a very serious and capable team are working on this. Interesting that they are not going the "early access" route.

Anyway, here is the post...
https://steamcommunity.com/games/261550/announcements/detail/3648371458947851581

Long live Bannerlord!
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"
Shortstop: Pittsburgh Pirates 1900-1917
Rated as the 2nd most valuable player of all time by Bill James.

Yskonyn

Yeah I've thought the same for a while. Good to know Bannerlord is very much alive and kicking!  O0
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Toonces

Bison...heh, I remember that guy, back when he used to be cool.

Anyway, this is a day 1, insta-buy for me.  I mean insta-insta-buy. 
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

ArizonaTank

Quote from: mikeck on October 10, 2017, 02:42:50 PM
....Not sure why but I can't believe I have not played this before. I'm fascinated by the depth and haven't even explored Viking Conquest. Graphics are decent but I CANT wait for Bannerlord. I may never leave the house! Even got me into one of those moods where I start buying books and watching shows on the era. I play on my laptop at either rewatch "Vikings", "IronClad" or "Kingdom of Heaven". One of those rare phases we gamers get into where we are consumed by a game for a long time

Some of my best gaming moments have been with Mount & Blade...  Love the feeling of leading a massed charge of heavy cavalry against a waiting line of infantry, backed by archers.

There are just a handful of games that stay on my HD and still get regular play after many years.....Mount & Blade, and all of its variants is one of them.
Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"

HoodedHorseJoe

Have always and will probably always be a great fan of this series. It's mind-boggling how it's taken so long for them to get the second game out... they must really be struggling to make ends meet or something. Shame they parted ways with Paradox as I can't help but think it'd have been released by now. I'm sure they had good reasons though - a publisher isn't for everyone.

I just hope this pans out for them financially so they can keep supporting it after release - otherwise a lot of people have wasted a lot of time, energy and money.
Communications Director
Hooded Horse

We are a publisher of indie games with strategic and tactical depth. 28 projects and counting, come check out our portfolio on Steam, GOG, and the Epic Games Store!

You may have seen me around in previous roles such as editor of Wargamer.com and Strategy Gamer.

mikeck

I have no doubt Paradox would have had it released by now...but in the condition most paradox games are in upon release. Usually they work and don't have show-stopping bugs but still need 3-4 updates to be properly fleshed out. Hopefully the devs are skipping that part and releasing it in the shape it SHOULD be in
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Dammit Carl!

Quote from: ArizonaTank on October 15, 2018, 11:35:58 AM
There are just a handful of games that stay on my HD and still get regular play after many years.....Mount & Blade, and all of its variants is one of them.

Yup.   

Toonces

Are any of you guys actually good at M&B 1?  Or do you know a good tutorial?   I love the game, but always sort of drift away because I'm never quite sure what I'm supposed to be doing, and I also really suck at it.

Most of my time has been joining up the big MP servers and just hacking people while sipping scotch...which is fun in its own right, but I'd like to master the SP part.  It just seems to take forever and I never seem to get anywhere.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

ArizonaTank

Some quick thoughts

The first thing is to dumb everything down, AI, enemy ability to damage you, your ability to damage friendlies etc. It helps a great deal to keep you alive while you are learning the ropes. And frankly you probably won't notice after a while. Even after many years, I still play this way.

I suck at sword fights, but I can usually do OK with archery, or a sword or lance from horseback. So I don't do arena fights. I also avoid getting caught in a place where I have to fight on foot. There are some missions you can do where you have to track down and kill criminals and the like. I never dismount for these guys. Speed, and a slashing attack from horseback does wonders.

In early game, I stay away from mounted opponent bands, or those with good archers. Having high "sighting" and "pathfinding" skills are necessary in early game. Tracking can also help. They allow you to see potential enemies far away, and then chase them down, or avoid them. 

Later, you will need leadership, so you can grow your band. Surgery, training and first aid also help you keep your band in top shape.

Usually, my guy is mounted. So in battle, I give the order for my troops to "follow me" and I take them to high ground. Then I have them defend that location. This allows me to run off and harass the enemy before they get to my guys.

In battle, the beginner AI will come for your line. The bad guys often string out and lose formation. That is when I start to pick off individuals from horse back...archery, slashing sword attacks, or a lance if I have one. Usually I get two or three of the enemy to follow me. But since I am on horseback...its kind of rope a dope. 

Meanwhile, the rest of the strung out enemy formation starts trickling into my guys defensive line...this allows my 10 or 20 guys to fight them off piecemeal. Ten peasants can rip up 6 or 7 raiders in this way...but it will be touch and go....usually my line wins.

Winning a bunch of those fights gets you to the point where the local nobility starts to notice you in a good way. Getting a gig as a mercenary band is a good deal. Every once in a while, you will see a battle between some nobleman and bad guys. Unless the nobleman is badly outnumbered, join the fight. You can keep your guys back with the follow me, or defend here command. But when the fight is over, you will gain brownie points. That also give you free reign to pirate caravans from your lord's enemies.  Once you get some money, start buying good troops at the inns.

Also go to inns to hire as many characters as you can. You can distribute special weapons and armor to them, and have them develop certain skills, like inventory management or siege. Sometimes, you get messages that one character has hard feelings about another and wants you to do something like get rid of them. I usually pick the option that is closest to, "shut up and  keep marching." Don't think I have ever seen a rebellion. But watching food supplies, and maintaining freshness is also important for morale.

Johannes "Honus" Wagner
"The Flying Dutchman"

Toonces

^ Wow.  I've probably got 150-200+ hours in this game and I didn't know a lot of that.  Maybe I should RTFM one of these days.   ::)

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Yskonyn

Ugh... its been in the oven so darn long and still early access. 🙄
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Toonces

Day 1 purchase.  I volunteer to be the guinea pig on this one fellas!

SirAndrewD

You are absolutely not going to have to guinea pig Mount and Blade II.

I don't imagine many of us aren't going to plunge with you.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback