Battletech is back!!!

Started by Shelldrake, May 12, 2017, 06:20:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

Maybe you'll be more comfortable in the 1920+ Iron Harvest game, JH.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

DennisS

Quote from: bbmike on April 26, 2018, 08:28:36 AM
Gameplay sounds a lot like the new XCom games.

XCOM is very VERY similar to this. Turn based, use of cover to decrease % chance to hit, initiative, and choice of weapons.

What XCom doesn't have, is a strong layer of managing your team, the massive number of potential mech types, and the near limitless combination of weapons, mechs, and pilot skills.

I love XCOM, all the way back to 1991, and have played it as much as any game ever, not named World of Warcraft, Civilization, or Railroad Tycoon II...but this is better. Not perfect, but better than XCOM. There. I said it.   :uglystupid2:

JudgeDredd

Quote from: JudgeDredd on April 25, 2018, 03:21:08 AM
Feel sorry for them - but at least I'm not the only one

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/batteltech-black-screen-with-cursor-and-fps-count.1091331/

And seems there could be a fix

Some users reported having this fixed after installing the CCCP Codec Pack. Can you guys try that and let me know if it fixes the issue for you?

You can download it here:
http://www.cccp-project.net/

It might be a good workaround until the devs find a proper fix for it.

and
That did the trick.

Thanks Aldath.
So I took a punt on the download mentioned in the post on Steam, ran the update and re-purchased the game and it works  O0
Alba gu' brath

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on April 26, 2018, 10:40:35 AM
^I can appreciate all that, but it still sort of defies credulity. I mean, ships that are capable of long distance space travel, warp jumps, etc., and they have the expertise to maintain and build from scrap these walking behemoths, but can't figure out simple ECM and guidance for weapons? It still sort of doesn't make much sense to me, but I can certainly look past it. I also like the idea of a technological dark age caused by a decades long war of cataclysmic proportions.

Yeah, it does strain believably a bit.  I've always given it a pass because back in the day FASA put a LOT of work into making it work within the story. 

One of the ways they always explained it was that it's not so much the lack of the ability to understand how these things work.  It's the lack of functional infrastructure to manufacture the material, and the lack of blueprints of the originals to understand what components were needed.

I guess the best way to imagine it would be the idea of taking an Ipad to 1970.  Sure, people there could understand how it works, might even be able to understand how to repair and maintain it.  However, they couldn't duplicate it, not without building up to the infrastructure to do so.

They could rip it apart and try to reverse engineer it, but that takes time, effort, resources and technicians which the Battletech Great Houses don't care to invest, at least not in the era this game is set in. 

However, the good thing about Battletech's lore is that it's not stagnant.    The story isn't about a universe stuck in an eternal state of lack of progression, ala Warhammer 40k.  Instead, it's a universe on the edge of a rebirth.   Just thirty years after the setting of this game, they've recovered most of the lost technology in the Inner Sphere and are building new types of Mechs, advanced computers and have even started building FTL ships again.   The story does move forward, and I'd bet that with the success of this game, we'll get more story down the line, probably in the form of the dreaded DLC.

You just KNOW they're going to do the Clan invasion story with this game.  It's inevitable, and it'll bring with it all the balance wrecking tech you could ever want.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Jarhead0331

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

DennisS

Quote from: SirAndrewD on April 26, 2018, 03:03:32 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on April 26, 2018, 10:40:35 AM
^I can appreciate all that, but it still sort of defies credulity. I mean, ships that are capable of long distance space travel, warp jumps, etc., and they have the expertise to maintain and build from scrap these walking behemoths, but can't figure out simple ECM and guidance for weapons? It still sort of doesn't make much sense to me, but I can certainly look past it. I also like the idea of a technological dark age caused by a decades long war of cataclysmic proportions.

Yeah, it does strain believably a bit.  I've always given it a pass because back in the day FASA put a LOT of work into making it work within the story. 

One of the ways they always explained it was that it's not so much the lack of the ability to understand how these things work.  It's the lack of functional infrastructure to manufacture the material, and the lack of blueprints of the originals to understand what components were needed.

I guess the best way to imagine it would be the idea of taking an Ipad to 1970.  Sure, people there could understand how it works, might even be able to understand how to repair and maintain it.  However, they couldn't duplicate it, not without building up to the infrastructure to do so.

They could rip it apart and try to reverse engineer it, but that takes time, effort, resources and technicians which the Battletech Great Houses don't care to invest, at least not in the era this game is set in. 

However, the good thing about Battletech's lore is that it's not stagnant.    The story isn't about a universe stuck in an eternal state of lack of progression, ala Warhammer 40k.  Instead, it's a universe on the edge of a rebirth.   Just thirty years after the setting of this game, they've recovered most of the lost technology in the Inner Sphere and are building new types of Mechs, advanced computers and have even started building FTL ships again.   The story does move forward, and I'd bet that with the success of this game, we'll get more story down the line, probably in the form of the dreaded DLC.

You just KNOW they're going to do the Clan invasion story with this game.  It's inevitable, and it'll bring with it all the balance wrecking tech you could ever want.

I am ok with balance wrecking tech *cough*gaussrifle*cough* but it better be expensive, and not in heavy supply

SirAndrewD

Quote from: DennisS on April 26, 2018, 08:19:46 PM

I am ok with balance wrecking tech *cough*gaussrifle*cough* but it better be expensive, and not in heavy supply

Reading the Paradox forums, apparently Lostech as very rare loot is in the game.  Someone claimed to have looted a Gauss rifle, no screen shot, but here's hoping. 

Again, we know an Atlas II with ER Lasers is in the game from the lets plays.  So there's absolutely a chance to run across Star League era tech.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

MetalDog

Quote from: SirAndrewD on April 26, 2018, 09:39:28 PM

Reading the Paradox forums, apparently Lostech as very rare loot is in the game.  Someone claimed to have looted a Gauss rifle, no screen shot, but here's hoping. 

Again, we know an Atlas II with ER Lasers is in the game from the lets plays.  So there's absolutely a chance to run across Star League era tech.

^STORM COMSTAR!!!
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

DennisS

Quote from: SirAndrewD on April 26, 2018, 09:39:28 PM

The very first DLC should be another campaign, perhaps from the perspective of one of the great houses, such as Steiner or Davion. That would be very cool.

I believe that there are a sufficient number of mechs and weapons to last a couple of years. Heck..just being a merc commander would be enough for me. I don't have to have an overarching story line. There doesn't have to be deep meaning to my actions. I just wanna run my lance, and blow shit up.

SirAndrewD

^Eh, i agree with MetalDog.   STORM COMSTAR! 

Lets occupy those MFers.

JudgeDredd

I've really enjoyed the opening battles. It was very easy...I'll visit the settings tonight...but normally I have to turn games down from their default, not up.

I've just evacuated the planet and heading into my first "no choice" mission. Overall,  O0 O0
Alba gu' brath

SirAndrewD

Quote from: JudgeDredd on April 27, 2018, 01:09:38 AM
I've really enjoyed the opening battles. It was very easy...I'll visit the settings tonight...but normally I have to turn games down from their default, not up.

I've just evacuated the planet and heading into my first "no choice" mission. Overall,  O0 O0

Your touman is weak freebirth.  My touman could crush you with very little effort.  My batchall is two light stars to crush your Inner Sphere rabble! 

Nefaro

I always enjoyed the 3025, and 3045 updated era, because mech equipment was scarce. 

It makes the game's salvage options more important.  Gives an importance to looting reminiscent of RPGs, a taste of phat dungeon crawling loot I suppose.

It also lends importance to mechs themselves.  When there are so few of them being built, and the antiques being operated are invaluable family heirlooms which are often also handed down with feudal titles, it lends a lot more personality to it.  8)

SirAndrewD

Quote from: Nefaro on April 27, 2018, 01:47:09 AM
I always enjoyed the 3025, and 3045 updated era, because mech equipment was scarce. 

It makes the game's salvage options more important.  Gives an importance to looting reminiscent of RPGs, a taste of phat dungeon crawling loot I suppose.

It also lends importance to mechs themselves.  When there are so few of them being built, and the antiques being operated are invaluable family heirlooms which are often also handed down with feudal titles, it lends a lot more personality to it.  8)

This is why the devs chose this era.   I agree, it was what we've been asking for and what we deserved.

The era endears me a lot more to the game.  I'm loving it, and yeah, loving it as a Battletech fan. 

But I do think we'll see them go to the more high tech eras in DLC.  Face it, the Clans sell.   They always have.  They'll be the first DLC.

JudgeDredd

Quote from: SirAndrewD on April 27, 2018, 01:24:54 AM
Quote from: JudgeDredd on April 27, 2018, 01:09:38 AM

Your touman is weak freebirth.  My touman could crush you with very little effort.  My batchall is two light stars to crush your Inner Sphere rabble!
All I heard was
Alba gu' brath