Battletech is back!!!

Started by Shelldrake, May 12, 2017, 06:20:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yskonyn

Quote from: Gusington on April 06, 2018, 05:19:06 PM
Wow Yassy - you have spent a lot of time on this.

Well yes, but I don't mind at all.
I apologise that it takes so long to start shooting up stuff, but if we prepare properly it will benefit us greatly in the campaign once we actually start playing.
Don't worry, soon enough those lasers will start ripping through armor!
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Nefaro

I saw scuttlebutt saying Harmony Gold's lawsuit was dismissed with prejudice.   :bd:

Good riddance to bad rubbish.

Harmony Gold's Case Against Harebrained Schemes Dismissed!

2018/04/14

The case against Harebrained Schemes has been dismissed according to the most recent document in the ongoing legal battle against Harmony Gold!

The document, titled "STIPULATION OF DISMISSAL WITH PREJUDICE," confirms that the judge has dismissed the suit between Harmony Gold and BattleTech creators Harebrained Schemes. The news is fantastic for all BattleTech fans and even better for Harmony Gold haters around the world. By dismissing the charges with prejudice, the judge has effectively barred Harmony Gold from bringing forward a similar case in the future.

(Continued At Link ..)

http://www.sarna.net/news/harmony-golds-case-against-harebrained-schemes-dismissed/

SirAndrewD

^That's fantastic news.  Still, seems that the Harmony Gold case against PGI is still alive.  PGI was the one that was actually using the "unseen" designs in Mechwarrior Online and Mechwarrior 5. 

Still, based on the revelation earlier that Harmony Gold may not own the rights to any of the mech designs at all, and the rights instead reside with the Japanese studio Big West, I'd imagine that the end to this entire 20+ year mess is finally on the horizon. 
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

DennisS

Sid Alpha, a youtuber, has a concise series of posts on the legal issues surrounding Harmony Gold, and all of the players.

There is considerable depth and nuance to what is going on in the background. Good news is that Battletech appears to be go for release next week, with no significant legal challenges.

SirAndrewD

Indeed.  I've followed a lot of Sid's videos.  Leonard French, a Copywright lawyer also has some good videos on it. 

Sid just made a new video on it, and it's just followed what we've said before.  Battletech by Harebrained is in the clear, Mechwarrior 5 and Mechwarrior Online by PGI is not.

PGI is going to have to prove Harmony Gold doesn't have the rights to the unseen to get the same results.  If Tatsunoko or Big West give Harmony Gold an affirmative on the Rogatory letter HG has asked for, then PGI will have to prove they changed the unseen enough to not infringe.     

It looks like PGI has a good case.  If they win and all these lawsuits go against Harmony Gold, we might see beloved unseen mechs like the Warhammer and Marauder in Battletech. 

Anyway, here's Sid's latest video on the suit.  This isn't over, but it's getting there..

"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

DennisS

Quote from: SirAndrewD on April 17, 2018, 07:48:18 PM
Indeed.  I've followed a lot of Sid's videos.  Leonard French, a Copywright lawyer also has some good videos on it. 

Sid just made a new video on it, and it's just followed what we've said before.  Battletech by Harebrained is in the clear, Mechwarrior 5 and Mechwarrior Online by PGI is not.

PGI is going to have to prove Harmony Gold doesn't have the rights to the unseen to get the same results.  If Tatsunoko or Big West give Harmony Gold an affirmative on the Rogatory letter HG has asked for, then PGI will have to prove they changed the unseen enough to not infringe.     

It looks like PGI has a good case.  If they win and all these lawsuits go against Harmony Gold, we might see beloved unseen mechs like the Warhammer and Marauder in Battletech. 

Anyway, here's Sid's latest video on the suit.  This isn't over, but it's getting there..

Sid French has been a terrific advocate for those youtubers fighting against DMA strikes for years. I have watched several hours of his videos...and it's clear he knows what he's doing.

Nefaro

Less than a week. 

Gonna be some 'splodin to do.  :nerd:

Barthheart

Quote from: Nefaro on April 18, 2018, 12:13:53 PM
Less than a week. 

Gonna be enough to pull you outta yer slump?

Nefaro

Quote from: Barthheart on April 18, 2018, 12:42:18 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on April 18, 2018, 12:13:53 PM
Less than a week. 

Gonna be enough to pull you outta yer slump?

Maybe not. 

Has the best chance, however!   ^-^

CptHowdy

got my key. pre load monday and play tuesday  :D

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: CptHowdy on April 22, 2018, 01:27:47 AM

Just curious, where did you order from?  Mine was from Fanatical, but nothing yet.

CptHowdy

Quote from: Grim.Reaper on April 22, 2018, 01:58:31 AM

Just curious, where did you order from?  Mine was from Fanatical, but nothing yet.

kickstarter backer

SirAndrewD

Yeah, got my backer key yesterday.  No big, just added it to my Steam library.  Pre-load is still Monday. 

But yeah, happy it's almost ready.  BY FREEDOM'S SWORD!  FOR DAVION!  Or...eh....for money.  Money is good too. 

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: CptHowdy on April 22, 2018, 02:04:23 AM
Quote from: Grim.Reaper on April 22, 2018, 01:58:31 AM

kickstarter backer

Thank you...makes sense you would get it earlier:)  Of course I won't have access to my computer until Thursday next week, of all weeks:(  Guess it will give me time to see people's impressions first.