Star Wars: The Last Jedi

Started by OJsDad, January 23, 2017, 11:39:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

MovieBob tries really really hard to have a conciliatory discussion of Luke Skywalker's character in TLJ with sympathy for critics, and just can't help himself from slanderously misrepesenting Sargon of Akaad along the way, as well as thinking Laura Dern's character was wise and smart and should have been trusted all along to have a workable plan.

...soooo, adjust expectations for his own highly unexamined biases. Adjustments accounted for, it's a good ep.  O:-) Even if he's barely scratching what sober critics find legitimaely infuriating about the film (and even if he can't approach going there without losing his mind.) I do appreciate the attempt.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

JasonPratt

Part 2 of Moviebob's noble attempt at arguing that TLJ was a love letter to the fans.

One of us has badly misremembered what happens with Yoda and the old Jedi books and Rey -- I don't think it's me, but until I can watch it again in a format where I can pause to ascertain things, I'll provisionally cast doubt on my recollection of what happened. I'm trying to be as charitable as possible here.

Meanwhile, since Moviebob thinks Poe should have just trusted his mysterious leader with apparently no plan whose actual plan turns out to be as dumb as Poe worried it would be:

ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

JasonPratt

The Mr. Sunday Movies crew, whom I don't recall giving TLJ a greatly positive review, takes a piss on fan whining about TLJ.

JasonPratt

A friend of mine on FB provides a thoughtful analysis comparing the Prequel, Sequel (so far), and Original Trilogies. I was impressed enough by his perceptive balance that I decided to share it.

Quote from: Vincent Andrew Drausinus McCoigeI do have a bit of a problem with [the two films of the Sequel series so far], but it doesn't seem to be the same problem as any of those that I've seen flying around. In fact, it seems to me that they have almost the opposite problem that the Prequels had. Individually, taken as continuing episodes in a series, both VII and VIII have been excellent, from my perspective. The problem I'm seeing is that they don't seem to be forming into a cohesive Trilogy like the OT or the Prequels. They're disjointed, and while they're well done and great movies standing on their own, the Sequel Trilogy as a whole seems to be suffering from the lack of communication and consistency between writers. Contrast this with the Prequel Trilogy, which was absolutely amazing taken as a whole story arc, but executed poorly in a lot of the details of each movie. If they'd re-written this, re-cast that, directed this scene better, the Prequel Trilogy would've been a lot better, without changing anything significant about the story. By contrast, I think if they'd kept the same character elements, the same acting, even the same direction in the Sequel Trilogy, but re-worked the overarching story of the three as a whole more coherently, they would be much better as a whole. Contrasting with both is the Original Trilogy, which was largely executed very well, with a great overarching story to go with it, which I think also explains why people who loved it forever hated the Prequels (because they had a problem with something the OT did well), and now forgive the Prequels (because they did something well that the OT did well) and hate the Sequels (because they have a problem with something the OT, and even the Prequels, did well), but will probably come around and forgive them too.

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

BanzaiCat

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Nefaro

Quote from: JasonPratt on January 22, 2018, 10:17:30 AM
The Mr. Sunday Movies crew, whom I don't recall giving TLJ a greatly positive review, takes a piss on fan whining about TLJ.

I've learned, over time, that TLJ doesn't like anything.  To varying degrees. 

Even opinions they largely agree with.

;D

JasonPratt

The curious case
of three hundred and fifty
dollar toys unbought.

More analysis
from end of January;
Forbes and Fortune both.

JasonPratt

Remember back in the old days, when The Force Awakens seemed like a good start to the new trilogy and was fun to watch?

Me, too...  :'(

mirth

Quote from: JasonPratt on February 05, 2018, 12:53:53 PM
Remember back in the old days, when The Force Awakens seemed like a good start to the new trilogy and was fun to watch?

<sigh> that seems like a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

mirth

MetalDog

You and I must have watched very different movies.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

JasonPratt

Quote from: MetalDog on February 06, 2018, 09:36:18 PM

You and I must have watched very different movies.

You can treat that as irony if you like.  O:-)

Meanwhile, here's a very friendly defense of Last Jedi:

Barthheart

Is it just me? Why would I care what some millennial thinks I hated about the movie? I must be getting old or just don't get social media... but she is just some random person to me, who's opinion I don't rate any higher than my dog's when it comes to movies or anything else for that matter..... :idiot2: