Main Menu

Wars of Succession

Started by Hofstadter, July 07, 2016, 05:05:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IronX

Looking forward to it. Thanks for the heads up.

mikeck

I have been a beta tester for a long time now. To me, this game strikes the perfect balance between "lighter" affairs such as Thirty Years War and the overly complex Wars of Napoleon. I would compare it to Rise of Prussia in terms of complexity. It is very polished.

If you have any interest in the time period and enjoy the AGEOD system, you'll definitely enjoy it. After all, if gaming the War of Spanish Succession or The Great Northern War is your "thing"....options are limited!

I will qualify it by saying I am an AGEOD fanboy...but to me, this is the best AGEOD game to come out since Rise if Prussia (which to me was perfect)
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

panzerde

Quote from: mikeck on January 12, 2018, 02:20:02 PM
I have been a beta tester for a long time now. To me, this game strikes the perfect balance between "lighter" affairs such as Thirty Years War and the overly complex Wars of Napoleon. I would compare it to Rise of Prussia in terms of complexity. It is very polished.

If you have any interest in the time period and enjoy the AGEOD system, you'll definitely enjoy it. After all, if gaming the War of Spanish Succession or The Great Northern War is your "thing"....options are limited!

I will qualify it by saying I am an AGEOD fanboy...but to me, this is the best AGEOD game to come out since Rise if Prussia (which to me was perfect)

I've been testing it too, and Mike is right on all counts, including the comparison to Rise of Prussia. Really their best effort in some time.

"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

Jarhead0331

John Churchill was a badass...carry on
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Nefaro

Quote from: panzerde on January 12, 2018, 12:05:18 PM
If you enjoy the period, this is going to be a good game.

I do!

Two very interesting wars.   :nerd:

mikeck

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on January 12, 2018, 02:48:05 PM
John Churchill was a badass...carry on

He is..as is one of my favorites: Eugene of Savoy as well as Charles the XII. Such a great era for warfare
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Greybriar

Quote from: Hofstadter on July 07, 2016, 05:05:55 PM
http://www.matrixgames.com/products/637/details/WarsofSuccession

Oh my god ageod please stop, your engine makes me cry.

That is the reason I stopped purchasing AGEOD games. I hope they finish their new engine soon.
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

mikeck

Quote from: Greybriar on January 13, 2018, 07:59:19 AM
Quote from: Hofstadter on July 07, 2016, 05:05:55 PM
http://www.matrixgames.com/products/637/details/WarsofSuccession

Oh my god ageod please stop, your engine makes me cry.

That is the reason I stopped purchasing AGEOD games. I hope they finish their new engine soon.

To each his own but I don't think the problems are with the age of the engine. It's what they asked the engine to do. Games like Wars of Napoleon and To End all Wars asked the engine to do waaaaay too much. I don't think one can play Thirty Years War and find fault with anything. Really. Wars of Succession is the same but with a larger scale. It suits the engine perfectly.

Sir Slash

Did they include the 'Turn Replay' feature in this one Mikeck? It's in some games but not others but I found it very helpful to see what actually happened a lot of times after I pushed the 'End Turn' button.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

mikeck

Quote from: Sir Slash on January 15, 2018, 11:32:58 AM
Did they include the 'Turn Replay' feature in this one Mikeck? It's in some games but not others but I found it very helpful to see what actually happened a lot of times after I pushed the 'End Turn' button.

Not sure I've EVER noticed that so I can take a look.
But

Sir Slash

It was in AJE and Birth of America but not in Civil War 2 so.... probably extinct now.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

WallysWorld

"I used to be with it, but then they changed what *it* was. Now what I'm with isn't *it* and what *it* is seems weird and scary to me." - Abraham Simpson

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: WallysWorld on January 16, 2018, 05:27:23 PM
Gameplay video by Agrippa Maxentius: Wars of Succession gameplay

Thanks...although always itching for a new game, the video shows the game continues to have nice portraits and graphics, but it also on the surface does not seem enough different (obviously the wars are different) then the other games that would entice me to buy and play it after purchasing a number of the other titles.

Not a knock on the game at all, I am sure everyone who plays the previous titles will love it, but guessing people like me who didn't enjoy the previous titles won't have their minds changed either.

Who knows, we'll see....

MengJiao

Quote from: mikeck on July 08, 2016, 06:14:17 PM
The engine is fine for some games doesn't do well for the ones more epic in scale unfortunately.  I still love RoP, ACW2 and AJE especially.  The engine is just fine when they keep the proper scale. The smaller wars of the Romans is a great example versus the epic scale of World War I which was horrible

I agree.  I think RoP and the Roman games worked well -- because of the scale and technology involved and a good analytic structure behind the scenarios.  The game system is completely at the mercy (as any system is -- but it is more painfully obvious sometimes in the AGE system) of the casual analysis of the events.  The thirty-years war and Espana! just did not arrive in a reasonable analytic ballpark approximation of the events they supposedly portrayed.  The early 18th century should work fine in the AGE, but the analytic side can still fail in ways that are just as unimaginably weird as in thirty-years war and Espana!

Jarhead0331

Quote from: MengJiao on January 17, 2018, 06:51:38 AM
Quote from: mikeck on July 08, 2016, 06:14:17 PM
The engine is fine for some games doesn't do well for the ones more epic in scale unfortunately.  I still love RoP, ACW2 and AJE especially.  The engine is just fine when they keep the proper scale. The smaller wars of the Romans is a great example versus the epic scale of World War I which was horrible

I agree.  I think RoP and the Roman games worked well -- because of the scale and technology involved and a good analytic structure behind the scenarios.  The game system is completely at the mercy (as any system is -- but it is more painfully obvious sometimes in the AGE system) of the casual analysis of the events.  The thirty-years war and Espana! just did not arrive in a reasonable analytic ballpark approximation of the events they supposedly portrayed.  The early 18th century should work fine in the AGE, but the analytic side can still fail in ways that are just as unimaginably weird as in thirty-years war and Espana!

What are you talking about meng? "At the mercy of the casual analysis"? "Not arrive in a reasonable analytic ballpark approximation"? "Analytic side can still fail in ways that are just as unimaginably weird..."?

You've totally got me scratching my head...this is either total jibberish, or very high-level grog speak that is way over my head.  My money is on the latter!
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18