Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak

Started by Jarhead0331, January 20, 2016, 04:42:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jarhead0331

Did anyone pick this up? I got it but am still stuck at work. I plan on making a quick video impressions video of it tonight.

I've been researching and I'm a little disappointed with the unit variety. No infantry, no dropships or helo type transport aircraft. its all buggies, tanks, jets, etc.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

IronX

I really like the look of the Chris Foss influenced units, but from what I've seen the gameplay appears to be like most other RTS games; i.e., it doesn't seem to offer anything particularly unique - and as JH points out, seems to fall short in what it could offer. I should emphasize that I've only watched gameplay on YT, so I can't be too critical.

undercovergeek

on one side of the coin its homeworld on 2 axises/axes (?) which i approve of because i spent too long fiddling with the 3rd one in HW

on the other side, its just homeworld on 2 axises - ive waited for the game but it doesnt really look anything other than the next new RTS, build, group in a pile and point at baddies til win, wash, repeat

Gusington

I've been waiting for this to release. Not so excited to pay 49.99 for it though. Searching for online discounts.

The Steam reviews are 'very positive' so far as is the Metacritic score:

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/homeworld-deserts-of-kharak

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Jarhead0331

Well, I've played through the tutorial and 2 campaign missions. It most certainly feels like the Homeworld universe. The vehicle designs, the art, the sounds, etc. They really did a great job maintaining the continuity. The second mission was pretty tough, so I'm expecting Homeworld level difficulty here too.

I'm not overly thrilled with the fact that the entire game takes place on the surface of one planet, and as I already mentioned I'm a little disappointed with the classes of units, and the fact that there are some obvious omissions (ie. infantry, troop carriers, etc.) Camera control is good, but unit control leaves something to be desired. No facing control and no formation control. This is problematic because terrain and positioning plays such a key role. Finding the perfect hull down position can easily spell the difference between victory or defeat and this can be hard to accomplish when you cant control the position of units that have been group selected.

Those are my only beefs so far. The game is positively stunning and its a real treat to be gaming again with a new entry into the Homeworld series...it is long overdue!

Videos to follow.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Gusington on January 20, 2016, 10:19:23 PM
Worth the money, you think?

If you're a Homeworld fan, or like sci-fi RTS games.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Gusington

I am. It looks awfully shiny to me. But I want to wait for a bit of a price drop.

Do you think there is a good chance for expansions/DLC incoming for this?

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Gusington on January 21, 2016, 09:34:30 AM

Do you think there is a good chance for expansions/DLC incoming for this?

I hope so. I guess it will depend on how well it sells. I've read a couple of commercial reviews and they are all overwhelmingly positive. I think you will really like it.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Gusington

Yeah I know I will - trying to be mature about this for once and wait for a discount but for a premium title I will be waiting a while, I think.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

jamus34

Quote from: Gusington on January 21, 2016, 10:52:12 AM
Yeah I know I will - trying to be mature about this for once and wait for a discount but for a premium title I will be waiting a while, I think.
I don't think it will be as long as you may think. Gearbox is usually pretty good offering discounts on their game as opposed to Bethesda or friggen Blizzard
Insert witty comment here.

Gusington

^You tease.

Looking at the Steam reviews, there are some (very few but they're there) complaints about the graphics, clipping, etc.

JH or anyone else playing notice things like that? Only one reviewer has posted that but it's a pretty well written review.

And another review says the single player campaign is only about 8 hours long...

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Gusington on January 21, 2016, 11:10:44 AM
^You tease.

Looking at the Steam reviews, there are some (very few but they're there) complaints about the graphics, clipping, etc.

JH or anyone else playing notice things like that? Only one reviewer has posted that but it's a pretty well written review.

And another review says the single player campaign is only about 8 hours long...

This game cannot be criticized for graphics. They are stunning. The artistic design is also top-notch. The only complaints I'm seeing that may be significant are ones regarding some problems with the AI, as well as the campaign mission design. Apparently, resources are finite and very limited and since you carry your army over to each successive mission, it seems if you do not maintain the composition of your force you can get stuck and forced into a position of having to start over due to not having enough forces and not having the resources to build more. This shouldn't be an issue in the skirmish or MP modes, though.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

Gusington

^Yeah I read only one complaint on AI on Steam.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

sandman2575