Star Wars: Rebellion

Started by Silent Disapproval Robot, November 03, 2015, 11:42:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BanzaiCat

If you train them properly, anything is possible.  ;D

Silent Disapproval Robot

Bison

Bison

Next thing BC will confess to is owning and using a bidet and attempting to train the dogs to use it as well.

Silent Disapproval Robot

Quote from: Bison on April 01, 2016, 09:07:47 AM
Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on March 31, 2016, 11:42:12 PM
I caved.... :-[

Pfft...weak!  Post pics please.

I didn't do much other than punch counters and assemble some pieces so far.  One of the TIE fighters had a wing broken off but that was easily fixed with some glue.  For some reason, the star destroyers come in two parts and need to be snapped together.  I have one that doesn't quite line up properly but the others are all fine.  There are three Death Star models (2 complete and one partial) that also need to be assembled.  The two complete Death Stars are composed of two hemispheres.  Neither of mine went together very well as the halves had been slightly deformed at some point during manufacturing or transport.  I glued them together as well but I can see that they've separated a little overnight.  There are several cardboard chits that represent leaders in the game.  Each one slots into a plastic stand so the the chits will stand upright during play.  It's a tight fit and I'd recommend being very careful when inserting the cardboard into the stands. I managed to tear the bottom of three of the chits while inserting them.  Poor Wedge.  He is already battle scarred. 

Bison

That's a bit disappointing to hear that there maybe some quality control issues with the components.  I'd expect better quality given the premium they ask for the game.

Silent Disapproval Robot

It's not too bad.  I was able to glue everything together and paint over the distressed plastic bits. 

Here's one of the Death Stars.  I used some grey paint to cover over a few patches where the plastic was distressed and looked whitish.  I did the same for the Star Destroyers as they all had a little spot where the mold break point was.

Here's where my spastic nerd hands managed to rip the base of Wedge's chit when I inserted it into the stand.

Here's the game board after initial set up using the advanced rules. (The table's pretty cluttered with some LOTR cards as well)

Close up of one of the Imperial detachments on Rodia.

Rebel detachment on Wookiestan.

Imperial player's reference sheet and leader pool.

Bison

I honestly would have preferred a hero clix style hero over the pog, but overall the game looks nice.  Great pics.

Silent Disapproval Robot

Yeah, the stands aren't the best idea.  There are several rings that are meant to be affixed to the bases of the stands during play but they don't quite fit from the bottom of the stand so in order to place them, you have to remove the leader chit from the base, slide the ring onto the base, and then reattach the leader chit.  This is going to cause more wear and tear than necessary.

Anyway, I played both sides through a few rounds of gameplay in order to familiarize myself with the rules.  It looks like it's going to be a fun game.  Lots of decisions to be made each turn and there's a definite risk/reward element to each decision.  I went with the advanced rules setup which is randomized and I can see this being a problem.  It the game I set up, two of the three Rebel planets started right next to Empire ones so it was very easy for the Empire to subjugate one of them and wipe out 25% of the Rebel's production strength in a single turn.  It didn't help that one of the very first missions the Empire went with was production and the very first production card they pulled turned the Death Star operational on the next turn.  That took care of another rebel planet and they were quickly down to 50% of production strength.  Vader captured a rebel general the same turn and it looked like the Rebels were pretty much backed into a corner only two turns in.

Arctic Blast

And it's here! Of course, it came with a few other games...and showed up on the same day as a box of 6 games I picked up in a BGG auction. So I'll get to it...sometime.  :o

Silent Disapproval Robot

I tried out the 4 player game at the FLGS tonight.  I didn't really care for it as it made the game drag out quite a bit longer and it was hard to come up with an overall strategy as you needed to discuss things with your teammate which meant the other team could hear you as well.

I don't think I'll try a 4 player game again any time soon.  The game flows much nicer when played with just two players.

BanzaiCat

I haven't even opened mine yet, but I intend to this weekend as I wanted to do an unboxing article for the site.

I've heard the 3/4-player variant is pretty good thus far. I've read the rules online, but the multiplayer rules struck me as exactly as you call it, SDR - how do you discuss strategy without stepping away, or making the other players step away? That's awkward and a PITA. I figured the 2-player version would be a lot more fun.

As for bidets, that's nowhere on the radar. I'd be happy if my Pit Bull would stop chewing on the window ledges. :(

Bison

I saw a copy in the FLGS yesterday and I'm not going to lie this was my thought process:

1. Holy F$#king Shit $100
2. What the f&$k is wrong with FFG? 
3. Why is every f#$king FFG product priced $100?  Do they think the world of gamers is made up of millionaires who can shell out $100 and then an additional $15 for every additional plastic figure?
4. Looks cool.
5.  $100 WTF?!?  Hey look there's Imperial Assault!  Huh that price looks suspiciously familiar...oh right it's a $100 f%&king dollars too.
6. F&#k FFG.  Oh look a copy of Star Wars Age of Rebellion core rulebook!....Hey this similar a reasonable price at $60 f#$king dollars...wait a minute there's 3 damned rulebooks...DAMN YOU FFG!

BanzaiCat

Amazon is selling it for $75, but you should get free shipping with that. I paid somewhere around that for it; I want to say it was cheaper, but not by much, when I pre-ordered it.

Bison

I've broke free of WotC MtG.  I'm afraid of FFG's equally painful pricing model.  Besides I've blown my gaming budget on D&D 5e books, which by the way D&D is an awesome RPG system again.