Meanwhile in Yemen

Started by LongBlade, January 21, 2015, 10:28:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LongBlade

The news out of Yemen seems to be largely ignored right now, but it appears increasingly apparent that the country has fallen to Iranian backed rebels.

QuoteShiite insurgents tightened their grip on Yemen's capital Wednesday, seizing control of a missile base and keeping the president as a virtual hostage in a showdown threatening a key American ally in the fight against al-Qaeda.

Days of fast-moving advances by the Houthi rebel faction — believed to be backed by Iran — has left the Western-backed government of President Abed Rabbo Mansour Hadi backed into a corner with rapidly diminishing options.

Just hours after storming the presidential palace on Tuesday, the Houthi leader gave what amounted to an ultimatum: Hadi can either move ahead with reforms that include giving rebels more power or risk intensified attacks that could topple his government.

source: http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/shiite-insurgents-control-yemens-presidential-palace-and-residence/2015/01/21/f8f3cbd0-a0f4-11e4-b146-577832eafcb4_story.html
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Centurion40

Funny, it doesn't bother me as much as ISIS.
Any time is a good time for pie.

Airborne Rifles

Hmmm...if Iran can get control of Yemen then they can threaten BOTH the Straight of Hormuz and Red Sea/Suez chokepoints. Not good, but I bet the Chinese and Russians wouldn't be that upset.

GDS_Starfury

Seems like a great place for a saudi/iran proxy war.  O0
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Centurion40

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on January 21, 2015, 03:29:58 PM

If that happens, look for ISIS... the Islamic State, the Caliphate to try to topple the Saudi regime.
Any time is a good time for pie.

GDS_Starfury

I would love to see them try.  :D

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Staggerwing

Quote from: Centurion40 on January 21, 2015, 03:50:06 PM
Quote from: GDS_Starfury on January 21, 2015, 03:29:58 PM

If that happens, look for ISIS... the Islamic State, the Caliphate to try to topple the Saudi regime.

Maybe Egypt can lend the Saudis some of those hundreds of Congressional pork barrel-gifted M1 Abrams that are still sitting stateside because Egypt doesn't have the room or personnel for them.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

GDS_Starfury

The last thing the saudis are wanting for is top end kit.

Gusington

They are wanting for a new king pretty soon though. I'm sure the ISIS wannabes are salivating over perhaps renaming the peninsula Islamic Arabia. I read some chatter today that the Saudis are currently building a Berlin like wall to defend against ISIS and other insurgents. Anyone read about that anywhere?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Bison

The middle east is a disaster of sectarian and political conflict.

GDS_Starfury

Bison

Cool.  That's still better than being Aquaman.

GDS_Starfury

being herpes is better then being aquaman.

Bison

Quote from: GDS_Starfury on January 21, 2015, 10:44:56 PM
being herpes is better then being aquaman.

Unless you are Aquaman's herpes that might be worse.

GDS_Starfury