High Frontier

Started by DicedT, April 19, 2012, 05:33:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

egg_salad

Quote from: Rekim on April 20, 2017, 09:11:39 AM
Guess they'll be sold on the same One Small Step website you provided a link to previously

http://ossgamescart.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=75
Yep, that's my guess.
A)bort, R)etry, I)nfluence with large hammer

Nefaro

Quote from: Rekim on April 20, 2017, 09:03:55 AM
Quote from: egg_salad on April 20, 2017, 08:32:11 AM
There's going to be one final batch of 100 for sale sometime soon, supposedly.
Source:  http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX?14@@.1dcdf87b/1750

Same post also alludes to a shit-ton of drama going down during the KS campaign. Doesn't sound like the developer is walking away with a warm & fuzzy feeling from the experience.

I was on the KS, and checked in every couple month or two on updates for the past couple years.

The people/company running that KS should take a lot of blame for long periods of zero updates.  There for about a year, what little the backers were informed about it's progress obviously wasn't the whole truth.  After hearing, "it's going to the printers next month!" for the second and third time over that year (or more), people started getting irate after feeling like they were being continually put on the back burner for other projects or something similar.

I didn't complain, and expected it to show up.  Eventually.  But my patience was also starting to get tested after the few repeated progress reports proving untrue.  Chalked it up to the people doing this new revised edition repeatedly pushing it to the back burner in favor of devoting more time to other ventures. 

TL;DR:

Their communication was just terrible.  Almost non-existent and often nothing became of their statements until this year.  So it's their own fault for the bad rep.  It was as if they blew smoke up everyone's butts for a year and a half, then scrambled to get everything done once the backers started getting hostile & the original creator threatened to step in and take over.  Then started complaining about delays from the Chinese printers (rather popular among board game companies) for not getting it done quickly enough after the last minute scramble.

Edit: 

I'm happy with what I got, in the end.  Certainly wasn't impressed with how this modified game reprint was left sitting for so long with little or no progress during the KS. 

egg_salad

Agree, OSS needs to learn communication is important.

Case in point: My HF was pretty heavily damaged in shipment.  I sent a note to the ossgames email.. and I hear nothing.  A week and a half later, I sent a followup.. like -- hey, did you guys get my email?  I get two separate emails, almost berating me for asking.. they had shipped me a replacement the day after the first email.

Great, the end result was good.. but how hard would it have been to tell me that when you originally sent it?   
A)bort, R)etry, I)nfluence with large hammer

Rekim

The game is available at the OSS store again.

The shipping cost to Ottawa, Ontario was a hair over $70US  :wow:

I'm out

Staggerwing

Shows 'Sold Out' again.  :(
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Nefaro

:-\

I can only imagine how much the opportunist resellers will soon be asking on Ebay and the Geek Marketplace.  :o

Nefaro

QuoteHigh Frontier Replacment cards are here!

We have received the High Frontier replacement cards at our office today. We will begin mailing them out shortly after New Years. We've got several thousand to mail out, so please have a little more patience while we wind up this project. 

Hrmm..

Props to them for printing & sending some replacement cards for those with errors, and communicating about their imminent shipping.  :)

Nefaro

The two replacement cards have been arriving in the mail. Got mine yesterday.

Didn't know if anyone else got the KS - just a heads up to watch the mailbox if you did.

Geezer

Kickstarter for the 4th edition is running now.  Eight days left at the time of this post.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/684398802/high-frontier-4-all/description
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.  George Bernard Shaw

Rekim

and over 2661% funded already.

I sure am tempted to partake...but super reluctant to add to my library of games. Will see how my willpower holds up over the next week.

Geezer

It's tempting to me too but I've watched some videos of it and my eyes glaze over at the complexity of the rules.  Think I'll stick with SpaceCorp 2025-2300 from GMT for my exploration fix.
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.  George Bernard Shaw

Rekim

Broke down last minute and pledged for the core game.  :cowboy:

there's still a couple of hours left

Geezer

Looks like they had a huge surge at the end.  One hour to go and I'm still resisting...   :)

Yskonyn

Hey @Geezer your resolve will be tested again soon as they are going to launch the pledgemanager and open up late pledges.  :-"  :2funny:
I am seriously thinking about jumping in. It looks like a truely fascinating game and I have two mates who are into anything real life life space project big time. Would be perfect to start playing this with them.
And it seems like there is also going to be extensive rules for solo play this time around.
Plus it has an officially supported TableTopSim module as well as a VASSAL one. Super cool stuff.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Geezer

Looks like you can pre-order from their website.  Not tempted...yet...since the price is not quite as good as the KS which is fair.  Might just wait until it releases and think about it then.