Main Menu

Star Citizen

Started by Jarhead0331, June 04, 2014, 10:07:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gusington

On the positive side I feel MUCH better about my gaming addiction and am going to purchase all the games on my Steam wish list, tonight.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

mirth

Quote from: Gusington on May 29, 2018, 11:51:29 AM
On the positive side I feel MUCH better about my gaming addiction and am going to purchase all the games on my Steam wish list, tonight.

good man  O0
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Gusington

You'll hide me in your bread box again, right? The Wife will be less than pleased.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

mirth

Quote from: Gusington on May 29, 2018, 11:57:52 AM
You'll hide me in your bread box again, right? The Wife will be less than pleased.

Last time I did that you ate all the marble rye.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Gusington

It was three days, BREH.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Jarhead0331

Alpha 3.2 has been released to subscribers, concierge and first wave PTU folks. It adds some major features, including, mining, scanning, grouping tools to help players meet and stay together in the PU, three new ships and some new small arms.

This is PTU, or Public Test Universe, only. That mean she the build is not live and once you are notified that you have access, you must use the separate PTU installer.

This is the second major quarterly update delivered on time with most of the promised features. Most people are looking forward to 3.3, which will add some huge features, such as, atmospheric planets, new biomes, procedurally generates cities, etc. This should hit the streets sometime in September.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Pete Dero

https://www.bluesnews.com/s/192667/cig-crytek-lawsuit-proceeds

https://www.docdroid.net/K7ugdJo/crytek-gmbh-v-cloud-imperium-games-corp-et-al-cacdce-17-08937-00380.pdf

At issue is the use of CryEngine technology in Squadron 42 and a switch away from the CryEngine for Star Citizen, both of which Crytek claims violates their contract.
It's the conclusion where we find the court only granted two elements of the Motion to Dismiss, while the rest of the lawsuit will proceed:

In light of the foregoing, the Court GRANTS in part and DENIES in part the MTD as follows:

The MTD is DENIED insofar as it seeks dismissal of all causes of action alleged against Defendant RSI;
        The MTD is GRANTED insofar as it seeks dismissal of the aspect of Plaintiff's cause of action for breach that is based on section 2.1.2's "exclusive" grant to embed CryENGINE in the Game;
        The MTD is DENIED insofar as the request to dismiss the cause of action for breach of contract is premised on California Civil Code section 1655's implied condition and on section 6.1.4 of the GLA, and insofar as Plaintiff's claim for breach is predicated on CryEngine's allegedly unauthorized use in Squadron 42;
        The MTD is DENIED with respect to the Plaintiff's cause of action for copyright infringement;
        The MTD's request that the Court dismiss Plaintiff's prayers for relief is DENIED with respect to monetary damages, injunctive relief, and statutory damages and attorney's fees, and GRANTED with respect to punitive damages;
        The MTD's alternative request that the Court strike allegations in Paragraph 15 of the FAC is DENIED.

As a lawyer Jarhead could maybe explain what this means (if if means anything) for Star Citizen.

If you have a couple of days to spare you can read what Derek Smart is thinking about this  #:-) ::)  https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1029687504205688832.html

I can't WAIT to read what all those Star Citizen YT lawyers (who shockingly have law degrees) have to say now. Anything that doesn't amount to the usual "Derek Smart Was Right", should be disregarded out of hand.
Make no mistake, seeing as CIG/RSI are basically INSOLVENT, this is the final death knell. Especially if Crytek files an injunction to prevent them from continuing to operate Star Citizen. The damages alone are going to be catastrophic. If you're an investor, you just got rekted.

Destraex

Yeah I cannot wait to see this over with.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Destraex

This guy is good but I think even he is a little confused about things. Especially when it comes to the way the original game was presented to customers as one game and later split into two products that are still components of each other really.

glen55

I'm a lawyer. It doesn't mean all that much, except that maybe striking punitive damages might affect the possibility the parties will settle. A few things were struck (eliminated from the case) but mostly the case will go on as before.

Bear in mind I don't know squat about the details of the case. The most lawyer-y thing I can say about it is that motions to dismiss are typically filed very early in the case, so this is probably going to be going on for at least 1 or 2 more years unless they settle.
Things are more like they are now than they have ever been before.
  - Dwight D. Eisenhower

Destraex

Yeah. Sounds about right. Perhaps contracts should be proof read by the governments or made from set and allowable templates. I know, I know, restricting freedoms and govt too slow to adapt to new stuff. But this sort of thing gets ridiculously complicated. The damned contracts must be like cracking code for these judges to need two years. 

Jarhead0331

Quote from: Destraex on August 21, 2018, 01:20:29 AM
Yeah. Sounds about right. Perhaps contracts should be proof read by the governments or made from set and allowable templates. I know, I know, restricting freedoms and govt too slow to adapt to new stuff. But this sort of thing gets ridiculously complicated. The damned contracts must be like cracking code for these judges to need two years.

My god! Government oversight and approval of contracts between sophisticated parties? Easy there, Stalin. That may be one of the worst ideas I've ever heard.

Cases in the US don't take 2 years on the average to resolve due to any issue of complexity. Rather, it has to do with the court's docket and schedule, the general backlog of cases and the system of discovery, which provides for the ongoing exchange of documents, the taking of depositions, various conferences with the court, etc. Each judge has literally hundreds, if not thousands of cases going on at any one time. Even a simple trip and fall or rear end auto case can take, 2, 3 or more years to wind its way from inception to trial. Cases in federal court, like this one, tend to move faster, but still on average take somewhere between a year or two.

I haven't reviewed in any detail the causes of action that were asserted in this case, or the motion arguments and decision. I review this crap all day so looking into this from a gamers perspective is a real chore. What I can say is that there has been no appreciable impact on the development of SC, and if anything, progress has only increased since the lawsuit was filed. There have been three major content updates released since the lawsuit was filed, with the fourth being scheduled to go live in October. It's looking to be the largest milestone and leap in progress since development began.

Ultimately, I don't see this suit hurting the game, and isnt that what most people care about at its core? Will the suit halt or hinder development? My gut instinct says no.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Destraex

Yes most people just want to know their investment is safe.
I used to think that people joking about willing star citizen to their kids was funny. But now it's looking like the development cycle will be 10+ years. I am actually a little stunned at how slow progress seems to be after all this time. The road map seems to confirm not much is going to change in the next 8 months or so that it covers. I still have hope that this title will justify the money I have put in. But still no word of when squadron 42 is coming and starting to wonder if any more campaigns would struggle to get the original actors back again "mark hamil".

The thing that is kinda shocking is that they keep putting ships on sale and it seems people keep buying them? Or are sales flagging now? I would expect like me, that even the most faithful and excited stopped funding long ago. I also expect that they have well enough money to develop what was promised. What with almost $200 million raised now.

You can see they are developing. But I can imagine if this fails that poor old Chris Roberts and co would need to run to the hills and hide from the more crazy fanatical fan base.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/roadmap/board/1-Star-Citizen

Destraex

So I must find the citizencon livestream that happened today. Anybody got a link?

Destraex