Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Computer Wargaming / Re: Battletech is back!!!
« Last post by DennisS on Today at 09:44:47 PM »

I am ok with balance wrecking tech *cough*gaussrifle*cough* but it better be expensive, and not in heavy supply

Reading the Paradox forums, apparently Lostech as very rare loot is in the game.  Someone claimed to have looted a Gauss rifle, no screen shot, but here's hoping. 

Again, we know an Atlas II with ER Lasers is in the game from the lets plays.  So there's absolutely a chance to run across Star League era tech.

The very first DLC should be another campaign, perhaps from the perspective of one of the great houses, such as Steiner or Davion. That would be very cool.

I believe that there are a sufficient number of mechs and weapons to last a couple of years. Heck..just being a merc commander would be enough for me. I don't have to have an overarching story line. There doesn't have to be deep meaning to my actions. I just wanna run my lance, and blow shit up.
« Last post by MetalDog on Today at 09:30:28 PM »

I am ok with balance wrecking tech *cough*gaussrifle*cough* but it better be expensive, and not in heavy supply

Reading the Paradox forums, apparently Lostech as very rare loot is in the game.  Someone claimed to have looted a Gauss rifle, no screen shot, but here's hoping. 

Again, we know an Atlas II with ER Lasers is in the game from the lets plays.  So there's absolutely a chance to run across Star League era tech.

^STORM COMSTAR!!!
« Last post by SirAndrewD on Today at 08:39:28 PM »

Computer Wargaming / Re: War Thunder Thread
« Last post by MengJiao on Today at 08:28:34 PM »
Iím really digging the Archer.  Itís awkward configuration needs getting used to but itís good that the tank can escape really fast.  The gun is very powerful and accurate.  The downside is it is very difficult and slow to get into a nice firing position, so a lot pre-planning and patience is needed.

Sounds interesting.  I'm thinking of ways to get the 17-lber into action.  That's the gun on the Archer, Achilles and Firefly.  I started in the UK slots, but moved to USA because the SPAA halftracks with 50-cal only are fantastic for shooting down planes and wreaking havoc.  It would be nice to have a gun that can reliably kill big Russian machines on the ground.  It took me 4 shots of US 76mm to kill some Russian monster yesterday.  So back to the UK!

And your basic Sherman:

Still no 17lber.  The Firefly and the Achilles seem good.  And here is the Hampden:

« Last post by DennisS on Today at 07:19:46 PM »
^I can appreciate all that, but it still sort of defies credulity. I mean, ships that are capable of long distance space travel, warp jumps, etc., and they have the expertise to maintain and build from scrap these walking behemoths, but can't figure out simple ECM and guidance for weapons? It still sort of doesn't make much sense to me, but I can certainly look past it. I also like the idea of a technological dark age caused by a decades long war of cataclysmic proportions.

Yeah, it does strain believably a bit.  I've always given it a pass because back in the day FASA put a LOT of work into making it work within the story. 

One of the ways they always explained it was that it's not so much the lack of the ability to understand how these things work.  It's the lack of functional infrastructure to manufacture the material, and the lack of blueprints of the originals to understand what components were needed.

I guess the best way to imagine it would be the idea of taking an Ipad to 1970.  Sure, people there could understand how it works, might even be able to understand how to repair and maintain it.  However, they couldn't duplicate it, not without building up to the infrastructure to do so.

They could rip it apart and try to reverse engineer it, but that takes time, effort, resources and technicians which the Battletech Great Houses don't care to invest, at least not in the era this game is set in. 

However, the good thing about Battletech's lore is that it's not stagnant.    The story isn't about a universe stuck in an eternal state of lack of progression, ala Warhammer 40k.  Instead, it's a universe on the edge of a rebirth.   Just thirty years after the setting of this game, they've recovered most of the lost technology in the Inner Sphere and are building new types of Mechs, advanced computers and have even started building FTL ships again.   The story does move forward, and I'd bet that with the success of this game, we'll get more story down the line, probably in the form of the dreaded DLC.

You just KNOW they're going to do the Clan invasion story with this game.  It's inevitable, and it'll bring with it all the balance wrecking tech you could ever want.

Computer Wargaming / Re: Far Cry 5
« Last post by Apocalypse 31 on Today at 03:09:46 PM »
This jam is the best thing to come out of FC5:

Computer Wargaming / Re: Field of Glory II
« Last post by CJReich46 on Today at 03:04:43 PM »
Sword and Scimitars.

Because that's what I want.

Hmmm...or Storm of Arrows?
« Last post by Jarhead0331 on Today at 02:09:01 PM »
^Sweet! Fingers crossed.
« Last post by SirAndrewD on Today at 02:03:32 PM »
^I can appreciate all that, but it still sort of defies credulity. I mean, ships that are capable of long distance space travel, warp jumps, etc., and they have the expertise to maintain and build from scrap these walking behemoths, but can't figure out simple ECM and guidance for weapons? It still sort of doesn't make much sense to me, but I can certainly look past it. I also like the idea of a technological dark age caused by a decades long war of cataclysmic proportions.

Yeah, it does strain believably a bit.  I've always given it a pass because back in the day FASA put a LOT of work into making it work within the story. 

One of the ways they always explained it was that it's not so much the lack of the ability to understand how these things work.  It's the lack of functional infrastructure to manufacture the material, and the lack of blueprints of the originals to understand what components were needed.

I guess the best way to imagine it would be the idea of taking an Ipad to 1970.  Sure, people there could understand how it works, might even be able to understand how to repair and maintain it.  However, they couldn't duplicate it, not without building up to the infrastructure to do so.

They could rip it apart and try to reverse engineer it, but that takes time, effort, resources and technicians which the Battletech Great Houses don't care to invest, at least not in the era this game is set in. 

However, the good thing about Battletech's lore is that it's not stagnant.    The story isn't about a universe stuck in an eternal state of lack of progression, ala Warhammer 40k.  Instead, it's a universe on the edge of a rebirth.   Just thirty years after the setting of this game, they've recovered most of the lost technology in the Inner Sphere and are building new types of Mechs, advanced computers and have even started building FTL ships again.   The story does move forward, and I'd bet that with the success of this game, we'll get more story down the line, probably in the form of the dreaded DLC.

You just KNOW they're going to do the Clan invasion story with this game.  It's inevitable, and it'll bring with it all the balance wrecking tech you could ever want.
« Last post by JudgeDredd on Today at 01:30:26 PM »
Feel sorry for them - but at least I'm not the only one

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/batteltech-black-screen-with-cursor-and-fps-count.1091331/

And seems there could be a fix

Some users reported having this fixed after installing the CCCP Codec Pack. Can you guys try that and let me know if it fixes the issue for you?

You can download it here:
http://www.cccp-project.net/

It might be a good workaround until the devs find a proper fix for it.

and
That did the trick.

Thanks Aldath.
So I took a punt on the download mentioned in the post on Steam, ran the update and re-purchased the game and it works  O0
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10