Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Books & Reading / Re: What are we reading?
« Last post by Toonces on Yesterday at 10:22:47 PM »
Well, you drew me in.  I just checked out two of his books I haven't read: Last of the Amazons and The Virtues of War.  I think I'm going to start Virtues tomorrow.

Thanks Gus!
« Last post by Toonces on Yesterday at 10:14:19 PM »
I thought it was Tides of War, but looking through some of his other books, the one I was thinking of is The Afghan Campaign.  I think I read Tides of War, but now I'm not sure.  The Afghan Campaign was great.

2,300 years ago an unbeaten army of the West invaded the homeland of a fierce Eastern tribal foe. This is one soldier’s story . . .

The bestselling novelist of ancient warfare returns with a riveting historical novel that re-creates Alexander the Great’s invasion of the Afghan kingdoms in 330 b.c.
In a story that might have been ripped from today’s combat dispatches, Steven Pressfield brings to life the confrontation between an invading Western army and fierce Eastern warriors determined at all costs to defend their homeland. Narrated by an infantryman in Alexander’s army, The Afghan Campaign explores the challenges, both military and moral, that Alexander and his soldiers face as they embark on a new type of war and are forced to adapt to the methods of a ruthless foe that employs terror and insurgent tactics. An edge-of-your-seat adventure, The Afghan Campaign once again demonstrates Pressfield’s profound understanding of the hopes and desperation of men in battle and of the historical realities that continue to influence our world.
Forum-Based Games / Re: Middle Provincial Era GROGPUBLIC game thread
« Last post by malize on Yesterday at 09:48:40 PM »
Sorry only saw the first part of the equation when you originally posted it.  My bad.
« Last post by Gusington on Yesterday at 09:25:29 PM »
What’s the title of his other book?
Role-Playing & Adventure Gaming / Re: Mansions of Madness 2 - with the wife
« Last post by Nefaro on Yesterday at 07:21:49 PM »
My first experience with MoM 2e, with a friend, ended in our absolute failure.  Largely due to my long and absolutely terrible die roll streak (not unusual) mixed with my bright idea of being the monster decoy.   :hide:

First impression of it wasn't that great.  Probably due to being much more focused on my tablet, which I was running MoM's essential game software on, than the game components.  I can see how helpful and space-saving it can be, but we play tabletop games to get a break from the digital ones so that first impression was a bit negative.  Of course it didn't help that I lost the game for us rather quickly, too.  ;D

I'll have to solo it next time, and get used to the idea. 
Other Games Around the Table / Re: Big Trouble In Little China: The Game
« Last post by Nefaro on Yesterday at 07:07:00 PM »
I read about the game extensively before ordering.  Your experience in Acts 1, 2 and 3 are common.  The general take is if the players play cooperatively it starts out very hard but becomes easier if you survive.  But if you play competitively you can handle Act 1 and maybe 2 with little difficulty and get hammered in Act 3.

What I read was most of the players have a devastating special attack and a power that makes the entire group more effective.  You can only chose one power per act.

Even though it felt like we cruised through the last 2 Acts, I may have been hasty if I described it as too easy.  Because we definitely had to do some serious teamwork strategeryin' in the final Act, and the win wasn't a guarantee until our last few moves. 

Definitely wanna get it back out & see how a second run goes.  My tabletop backlog is huge, but it's gonna get moved up the list a ways.
Computer Wargaming / Re: Total War: Three Kingdoms
« Last post by Nefaro on Yesterday at 06:53:54 PM »
I agree with Nefaro's thoughts on the campaign mechanics...definitely expanded and it feels much deeper and with era/region specific flavor. The UI is completely redesigned and I think this is half of what makes the learning curve steeper, especially for seasoned Total War vets...three kingdoms feels very different.

One of the things I'm struggling with is that I feel like I'm fighting personalities, not factions per se and the names of individuals are so foreign, its hard for me to keep straight who is who. Who is a friend, or potential ally and who is an enemy, and I haven't found anything in the UI that makes this very obvious or jump out at me yet. In this regard, Three Kingdoms is also very different from other TW titles. Instead of focusing my strategy to fight the Carthaginians, or the Germanic tribes, I'm dealing with Guan Yu, Zhang Fei and Huang Zhong...huh? Until I get more comfortable with the source material, I'm afraid I'm going to have to kill them all and let God sort them out... >:D

It could definitely use more UI indicators regarding character animosities & friendships.  Most notably in the event pop-up windows pertaining to them.   

Oh, so Dong and Jian suddenly had a spat and had a falling out?  Then show us the damn details in the pop-up too, instead of having to find one of the characters in question and dig down deep into the UI!  Sure, there is a tab on the character details in which you can get some basic info for it, but what a pain to get there manually.

On the other hand it is rather interesting, needing to keep your generals who dislike each other out of the same armies & such.  I'm not yet sure whether that might drive one or both of them to turn on you, or defect to another faction, but I'm guessing that's part of the mechanic.

« Last post by JasonPratt on Yesterday at 06:52:32 PM »
TURN FIFTEEN -- MORTALITY PHASE
-------------------------------

The Turn starts with the Immanent 2nd Illyrian War going Active.

This will be an easier fight, with another 10 spoils and the Province of Illyricum as the prize if Rome wins! This will also be the last of the Illyrian Wars in the game.

From the vigorously shuffled Bag of Doom, which increasingly threatens the Players with death for their characters, is drawn...

Family #7, the Fulvians.

The Frog’s family Senator Fulvius dies, priest of Rome and a former Consul. All his chits discard, and his family -- unprepared to supply an heir to the Senate -- goes to the bottom of the senatorial family pile to await a return to political power someday.

The Frog’s vote tally reduces by 2 Ora and 4 knights, from 10 to 4. (Remember, Acilius is away from Rome on Governing business and so cannot organize votes.) The Plutocrat influence total falls by 15 points as well, from 30 to 15. Only “new men” currently stand in the Plutocrat party now...

With condolences on another tragedy from the Bag, this ends the Mortality Phase for Turn 15.

(The Income i.e. Revenue Phase is so extensive, including for getting new snapshot updates, that I'm going to wait until tomorrow sometime -- it's nearly 8pm here, and I've been umping off and on for hours already today!  O:-) )
Wargaming / Re: Jumping down the rabbit hole
« Last post by acctingman on Yesterday at 06:43:41 PM »
Thanks Barth...thanks everyone else too

The more I research/watch videos I'm finding out that most people who solo just play both sides. I've read quite a few LnL players don't even bother with the AI cards. As much as I love tanks, I don't think I want a tank focused game (maybe down the road as I know the rules are well received with the gaming community and I am intrigued with all the charts).

I'm going to look at both LnL tactial and the BoB series as I believe they are the same scale. I like platoon/squad level games but eventually I'd like to try larger games in the new future.

« Last post by JasonPratt on Yesterday at 06:30:11 PM »
Um, back checking.... I see what happened. Y'all had 102 Talents going into the 3rd segment of the Income Phase this Turn, and after various incomes and expenses, the Republic had 122.

However, I must not have saved the game-state somehow. So it was still showing 102.

I've saved the correction now: 122 + 10 Spoils (no expenses since then, according to my records) = 132 Talents.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10