Main Menu

Atlantic Fleet

Started by Phantom, June 25, 2017, 01:19:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phantom

I was recently looking into Cold Waters, almost a must buy for me having been a big fan of Red Storm Rising, and I noticed this Apple/mobile port of Atlantic Fleet, a WW2 naval combat game. When it came out I ignored it as I assumed that a mobile port would be a simple "dumb" game, however, seeing the same people developed CW I thought (at £6.99) I'd give it a go.
I have been pleasantly surprised, and whilst the interface reminds me of Silent Hunter, the gameplay reminds me of Fighting Steel - another favourite of mine (regrettably unplayable on modern OS's).
The graphics are excellent, as are the ship models, and the gunnery is fun too. It also includes air & subs, which FS didn't.
Its a good game for the price, but it could easily be so much better, and approach FS's realism. Its main shortfalls are its inability to simultaneously operate secondary weapons (you either use main guns OR secondary guns OR torps) each turn, and whilst damage is modelled per main component, there isn't any damage control (which I think there was on FS?) which is a shame. Whilst the latter isn't crucial, I think the former is - particularly for example the River Plate scenario, where Graf Spee is faced with 3 British ships, but can only direct main guns at one enemy ship, one at a time.
I wonder how hard it would be to change this? Maybe the NWS guys could do for this what they did for FS - the seed of a great game is there, and its a shame it come s so close.
That said, for the price its very good, and I'd recommend it to anyone who fancies a big gun duel. Sound is also excellent - crank up the volume & hear those guns blast & those shells whistle!

Destraex

I agree. Great game. I also agree it would be better with damage control and individual turret or at least fire director control.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Philippe

Although far from perfect, for a simple game it's surprisingly good.  And I really wish they could team up with NWS to create the visual eye candy for Steam and Iron.  The Atlantic Fleet game engine would problably lend itself to WW I, though merging two dissimilar game engines like that would probably turn out to be a nightmare to put together.

Every generation gets the Greeks and Romans it deserves.

History is a bad joke played by the living on the dead.

Senility is no excuse for feeblemindedness.

Destraex

Indeed. It could replace SES Jutland using this engine but would require a massive scale (larger maps) and a campaign map.One thing is damned sure. The interface would be a helluva lot better.
I have come to learn that without a good interface a game may as well be dead to me.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Phantom

I guess Cold Waters represented a big jump from Atlantic fleet - maybe Killerfish can incorporate this experience and produce an upgraded WW1/pre WW1 era sim, based on AF but using many of the more accurate simulation in Fighting Steel & MWS's efforts.
Killerfish seem very adept at utilising good game concepts and updating them, while keeping the game easy & fun, and whilst I wouldn't want them to lose sight of this I'd be happy to pay a Cold Waters price for a more advanced version of AF, and I guess there's be plenty of scope for DLC (Russo Japanese/Spanish American etc etc..) with an ability for lots of what ifs.
They have brought naval sims back onto the agenda.

IICptMillerII

Apologies if this is considered necro-ing a thread, but I didn't want to start a new thread if there was already one going for Atlantic Fleet.

I was wondering, is Atlantic Fleet moddable/editable?

I have Cold Waters and enjoy it very much, but recently I've been craving some surface warfare action. Watching battleships duke it out is always fun. I've known about Atlantic Fleet for a while but I haven't pulled the trigger on it yet. I have seen a decent amount of gameplay on YouTube, and the whole system seems like a lot of fun, except for one part.

The campaign kind of forces the player into the historical role of the country he chooses. For example, as Germany there are many classes of battlehips and other ships that are initially available, but you cannot build any more of them because historically, Germany did not make any more of them. I'm wondering if it is possible to open up the game files and remove such restrictions on the player?

This would be possible in Cold Waters, as everything is essentially text files that can be edited. (For fun, I once set the speed of the 688 to 1500 knots, just to see what would happen. Had a few "Free Willy" moments  ;D)

Rambling aside, basically what I am asking is, is it possible to open up the text files in Atlantic fleet and either allow for, or just give the Germans more surface ships? Other nations too for that matter. If so, I'll likely be picking it up.

Pete Dero

IICptMillerII

Quote from: Pete Dero on March 08, 2018, 03:23:46 AM
Quote from: IICptMillerII on March 07, 2018, 07:19:07 PM
I was wondering, is Atlantic Fleet moddable/editable?

Almost no modding possible.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/420440/discussions/0/365172547958182492/

Surface fleet mod  (minor changes to gameplay)

https://steamcommunity.com/app/420440/discussions/0/1700542332333558834/

Ahh ok thank you for the response. I'll likely wait for a sale to pick it up then. Still looks like a lot of fun as is.

FlickJax

Yeah if the developers ever peruse this site, if they add more depth to this game it would be a world beater...already fun but could be so much better.

BanzaiCat

It's an enjoyable game, though I got into Pacific Fleet first before Atlantic Fleet. I enjoyed PF's ability to upgrade ships and its interface in general, which is better than AF's (again IMO). I do like a lot of the one-off scenarios in AF, though. I've tried but not really played through the campaigns in AF yet.

I know GOG has Atlantic Fleet available as does Steam I think. I'm surprised there's not more modding for it because of the PC versions.

Nefaro

Quote from: FlickJax on March 09, 2018, 03:07:36 AM
Yeah if the developers ever peruse this site, if they add more depth to this game it would be a world beater...already fun but could be so much better.

People have been prodding them for a Pacific Fleet sequel.  One that includes all the new features of Atlantic Fleet and whatever else they care to throw in.

That would solve the issues of the all too frequent, somewhat screwy, and less interesting surface vs sub scenarios prevalent in the dynamic campaign of Atlantic Fleet.  And give them a payday for it.

There was mention of it being a possibility in the future.  Nothing certain iirc.