Dom 3 slow game (2 day turnaround)[closed]

Started by Yskonyn, March 04, 2013, 01:34:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vlam

Quote from: parone on May 15, 2013, 05:57:05 AM
and Vlam-good game.  at least you nailed me good one more time before bowing out!

Very well played with this poison counter dude ;)

undercovergeek

Oh man sometimes I think I'm not taking my games seriously enough

Jesus - enough with the faulty pretender stuff!!! it doesn't matter - lesson learnt don't fk about with the scales - there

Calahan - thankyou for your in depth insights and undoubtable mega knowledge

Ogaburan

Quote from: undercovergeek on May 15, 2013, 03:20:09 PM
Jesus - enough with the faulty pretender stuff!!! it doesn't matter - lesson learnt don't fk about with the scales - there

Didn't know I had the pleasure to play with the son of god...

But +1, this thread got derailed somewhat. Mistakes/shit happen/s.
Dunno why we need to dedicate 3 pages to it, especially since this game has more or less crawled to a stop... or its just my feeling, since im rebuilding and turns are super quick for me.
Enough is really enough...

I do think Calahan was right (not the i really bothered with the walls of text regarding a supposed bug that might or might not have happened) about the fact that rumors about a buggy game confuse more then help the fledgling domi3 "attraction power".
Game is hard enough to "sell" without popular Google searches showing up discussions about bugs.
Or large gaming community game threads perpetuating those rumors.
I find it heartwarming players are willing to defend this game.

JasonPratt

Whatever. Attempting to recreate what happened on my pretender in the first game resulted in no difference in the scales; so since I can't reproduce the effect I'll chalk it up to poor memory or some other actual game effect after the first turn. (I can't compare what happened otherwise to the pretender because it started imprisoned, and the scale effect is what I noted anyway.)

If Nefaro remembers saving screwy scale tests after all, then that combined with the pretender save name obscurity most likely explains the discrepancies. Problem accounted.

This thread doesn't actually have a set 'topic', and Nefaro asked if anyone had heard more about why his scales are messed up, so we discussed that until with Calahan's help we arrived at a conclusion.

I certainly did not claim the game was "full of bugs", despite Calahan's ostensible quote; on the contrary I emphasized that the scales bug was an urban legend with secondary testimony. I eventually said there was reason to believe there was a bug somewhere based on the evidence at hand as it stood at the time. A theory about how the game works is not a claim of fact or of superior knowledge about the game, which I was therefore not making. I appreciate his help in explaining the game mechanics; I am certainly not out to slur the game, or I wouldn't be investing a large amount of my personal time and energy positively promoting the game and encouraging people to buy it and join in on this forum.

I also appreciate that search engines could turn up out-of-context reports of bugs in the game by means of the thread discussion. However if there's something that can be done to help players in the future avoid tripping unwanted effects in the game, then I believe (and still believe) the topic is worth discussing as an aid to our members for future reference. The next time I set up a game I want to be able to alert players how to avoid problems. As it happens I did warn players in the Groghammers game from the outset to be extremely careful about creating pretenders in vanilla by accident without having actually enabled CBM; and I warned them about the problem of mixing up pretender submissions. Since there is so far nothing objectively new to warn players about (unless I'm forgetting something in the preceding discussion), I won't have to update that next time (although I may be able to make it shorter. ;) )
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Huw the Poo

I completely agree with you, Jason, and I thought Calahan was being extremely rude to you (and me).  His accusations were outrageous, considering nobody here has done more to galvanize the community and help the games along as you have.  I, for one, am very grateful to have you here in our Dom3 games.

The only reason I was maintaining a "diplomatic silence" was that he was helping people with the game at the same time.  I would've appreciated a lot less attitude though.

undercovergeek

Agreed - don't take my rant as criticism in anyway other than 'please can we get past the faulty pretender thing' its 3 pages of doom and noone knowing what happened - at the top of new games put what you have learnt - like for groghammer and reiterate the 'design your pretender' and then quit and go straight back in with the scales you tweaked - I admire calahans fanaticism but I don't think were that fundamentalist about it here!

parone

guys, a couple of things:

this was, BY FAR, the most polite i have ever seen callahan.  you have no idea how much restraint he was showing.(i know this, because he has absolutely eviscerated me on more than one occasion)

he knows just about EVERYTHING about dominions, and it is frustrating for him to see 'disinformation'.  it is particularly hard for him when someone disputes something he is sure he is correct about(he has been wrong on few occasions, and did admit to it on those).  that said, im pretty sure he is totally correct on everything he said in his 'text walls'

what i'm trying to say is, Call doesn't play well with others, but he tried Really Hard to do so here.  he also left on a very positive note, which is rare and really good.

my posts earlier about the difference between dommods/grogheads are pretty well illustrated here.  callahan, or any number of players over there have a tremendous understanding of the game mechanics, as well as all the strengths/weaknesses of all nations, and things that are confounding to the likes of us are elementary to them, and sometimes our questions are frustrating for them.  also, they are quite brusque as a default mode of communication. 

again, im not desparaging dommods.  just pointing out the differences.  being friendly/polite is the default here.  i have been picked up on it by jason for being a bit negative, and have attempted to change my ways, and actually like this atmosphere much better.  but that's just not where callahan is coming from.

trying to say, he is a rude dude.  but not a bad dude. 

JasonPratt

I was certainly quite serious about all hailing him when he arrived. :) Still am.  :D

Also, being a fanatic fundamentalist on other topics I can sympathize.  ;D
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

parone

well, as i find true dedication on any topic often is often inspiring, can i ask you what your dedicated interest(s) are?

Nefaro

I certainly wasn't attempting to push "disinformation" on Dom3 or be disingenuous in some way.  I was just scratching my head at how I ended up with the weird Pretender values, which I don't recall as the ones I'd chosen for this game.

Turns out that it was likely just my misconception of how the game saves Pretender files with the same name.  I had just assumed that files saved with the same name would overwrite the previous ones, when they didn't.  So I likely ended up sending in a different Pretender file than I had intended - an older one I'd believed overwritten.  In this case it wasn't a bug, just the save function doing something I hadn't expected - making multiple copies with the same name.

In the end we figured out what happened in this case, and how to avoid it in the future.  ;)  That was my only reason for posting about it in the first place.  Problem solved.

parone

Nef, i get it, and wasn't trying to say you were 'wrong'.  i was just trying to explain my acquaintance, Calahan. 

he is an interesting character. 

Phobos

Fanaticism undermines its own cause, even as it disrupts social tranquility.

I would be less concerned if the disruption was intentional.

JasonPratt

Quote from: parone on May 15, 2013, 07:15:59 PMwell, as i find true dedication on any topic often is often inspiring, can i ask you what your dedicated interest(s) are?

Just to be safe, I decided to answer over here. :) (In the forum category for fanatical fundamentalists.  ;D)

byrdman57

The last time I clicked on a link provided by one JasonPratt, I regretted it...

JasonPratt

Potentially as much of a timesink as the TVTropes page, but probably not as inherently interesting so don't worry. :)