Game older than chess

Started by Marty Ward, August 26, 2015, 07:09:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marty Ward

Not sure where to put this but I thought it was interesting.

"You Have to Play This 1,600-Year-Old Viking War Game

Especially if you're a diplomat, soldier or spy, says one ex-spook"

https://medium.com/war-is-boring/you-have-to-play-this-1-600-year-old-viking-war-game-cef088ae4e2d
If it looks like chicken, tastes like chicken, and feels like chicken but Chuck Norris says its beef, then it's beef.

If women had apostrophes instead of periods they would be even more possessive!

Bison

Hey that's a cool find Marty.   Also the game of Go is older than chess too.

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

bob48

Quote from: Bison on August 26, 2015, 08:36:47 AM
Hey that's a cool find Marty.   Also the game of Go is older than chess too.

Go is a fantastic game.
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

LongBlade

I could have sworn I posted something about this here, but a quick search turned up nothing so maybe I didn't. I do know that I read this article on June 30, 2015 because that's the day I added this game to my Amazon wish list.

Anyway, great find, Marty.
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

Greybriar

Hnefatafl has been around for over a thousand years and it took a forum post to make me aware of its existence. Thanks, Marty!  O0
Regardless of how good a PC game may be it will always have its detractors and no matter how bad a PC game may be it will always have its fans.

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Greybriar on August 26, 2015, 01:30:29 PMHnefatafl has been around for over a thousand years and it took a forum post to make me aware of its existence.

to be fair - you could replace Hnefatafl with "Windigo" and the meaning wouldn't change much
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Staggerwing

I actually have an old DOS-based version of a Tafl-game in my physical game copy hoard somewhere.

But then you all knew I would, didn't you.  ;)
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

bayonetbrant

JasonPratt

Someone get Steam Early Access on this, stat!  O0

Until then (from the article): "President Obama has the personality of a sniper." Discuss?
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

LongBlade

Quote from: JasonPratt on August 27, 2015, 06:03:56 AM
Someone get Steam Early Access on this, stat!  O0

Until then (from the article): "President Obama has the personality of a sniper." Discuss?

Wrong thread :)
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

JasonPratt

Well, I didn't mean discuss here, duh. Should've been clearer, sorry.

(Just seemed like something kind of wacky stated by someone interviewed in the article.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Boggit

Nice find. O0 I'd never heard of that game.
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat