Pillars of Eternity: The White March

Started by Martok, June 17, 2015, 10:32:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rayfer

Quote from: Nefaro on August 25, 2015, 05:43:00 PM
Quote from: Rayfer on August 25, 2015, 05:26:59 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on August 25, 2015, 05:23:18 PM
Quote from: Rayfer on August 25, 2015, 03:29:27 PM
Just saw this was out on Steam and GOG.....part 1, $14.99.  Anyone try it out yet?

I didn't purchase the DLC, but I watched Steam download the stinkin 2.1GB update onto my laptop anyway.  :knuppel2:

You got it for free?

Nope.  It just automatically downloads & installs DLC, even when you don't own it. 

I wouldn't give a damn if install space was never an issue.   But it often is when you buy games so regularly, you haven't played some of them.  :crazy2:

I'm stunned and scratching my head. Does it do this for all games? I have CK2 and EU4 vanilla....has it downloaded all the dlc on my computer just hoping I'll buy them some day?  I've never heard of this before.

Bison

Yes is the short answer.  The longer answer, in the case of CK2, is that some of the new rules from DLC are added onto the game even if the DLC isn't is my understanding.

Gusington

Yeah...when you buy a DLC you're really only buying an unlock for most if not all games. The content is already there.

I almost bought this DLC - but I am literally just downloading the base game now. Would like to see impressions if anyone took the plunge. I've heard nothing but awesome fantasticness about the base game.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

Loved the base game but have barely scratched the surface so I'll hold off for awhile and grab it on sale maybe.
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Nefaro

Quote from: Bison on August 25, 2015, 07:13:47 PM
Yes is the short answer.  The longer answer, in the case of CK2, is that some of the new rules from DLC are added onto the game even if the DLC isn't is my understanding.

Bison is correct.

We pretty much have everything loaded onto our hard drives, for all the Steam games.  The stuff you don't own is just de-activated.

In cases like the Paradox games mentioned, they actually use some of the new features from the DLC even if you don't own it.  But that's a developer thing. 

In this example, I didn't need a vast majority of the 2+GB it downloaded, those being content assets used for the new stuff in the DLC I haven't purchased.  So it's just using up extra space. 

Rayfer

Quote from: Sir Slash on August 25, 2015, 10:15:52 PM
Loved the base game but have barely scratched the surface so I'll hold off for awhile and grab it on sale maybe.

+1 The base game is one of the best rpg experiences I've had in a long time. I did get quite deep into the game before something else grabbed my attention. But like you, I'll wait awhile for the sales before getting this dlc.

airboy

Quote from: Rayfer on August 26, 2015, 06:38:43 AM
Quote from: Sir Slash on August 25, 2015, 10:15:52 PM

+1 The base game is one of the best rpg experiences I've had in a long time. I did get quite deep into the game before something else grabbed my attention. But like you, I'll wait awhile for the sales before getting this dlc.

I hate all of you.  You pointed out another excellent RPG and made me buy the game and the strategy guide.  I'll download the game once my strategy guide arrives.  This will eat up my spare time.  I'm feeling lots of hatey hate hatred.  Be a hater - join the haters - feel the hatred.

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Rayfer

Quote from: Gusington on August 28, 2015, 07:01:03 PM
Strategy guide, you say?

I found this freebie online...great guide, especially for creating new characters.  http://guides.gamepressure.com/pillarsofeternity/

Nefaro

I've enjoyed PoE during the few hours I've played.  I have more time into both Wasteland 2 and Divinity: Original Sin.  Specifically the latter.  PoE runs on some pretty stiff rails compared to the others, but they're all good in their own ways.

Gusington

Thanks Rayfer! I'm sure I'll need this within a few minutes of stepping into the PoE world.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

mikeck

I don't find PoE to be on rails really. There are tons of side quests and all can be done whenever you want. I'm just glad we got some new isometric party based RPGs
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

Rayfer

Quote from: mikeck on August 28, 2015, 09:42:12 PM
I don't find PoE to be on rails really. There are tons of side quests and all can be done whenever you want. I'm just glad we got some new isometric party based RPGs

Agreed...each of the npc's (not the ones you create yourself) you can bring into your party has an extensive backstory with a series of unfolding optional quests that span across multiple regions. They can take a long time to complete. Look for the little dialogue bubbles in their onscreen portrait to get them going. In the very beginning you are limited to a few connected regions, one at a time. But this changes as the game unfolds and you can go in multiple directions, even into regions you aren't ready for and will probably die. Then there's always that huge multi-level dungeon under your fortress to explore...that's almost a game in itself.

Toonces

@ Airboy- I think of it like this:  If you spend the money then you can't lose it in the stock market.  Therefore, Grogheads actually saved you money.

Think about it.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

airboy

Quote from: Gusington on August 28, 2015, 07:01:03 PM
Strategy guide, you say?

Yes - I hate to map stuff and prefer to have the rules where I can read them in print.  So I bought the 512 page Prima Strategy Guide:
http://www.amazon.com/Pillars-Eternity-Collectors-Strategy-Guide/dp/1101898232/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1440859091&sr=8-2&keywords=pillars+of+eternity

I have guides on my shelves going back to Fallout 2, Daggerfall and Icewind Dale.  Being able to read the rules and have the maps makes the RPG more enjoyable for me.