Main Menu

The Pomeranian War

Started by keppelmueller, November 06, 2016, 08:28:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zipuli

http://steamcommunity.com/games/400470/announcements/detail/597119843280908762

More information about the upcoming features, as well as the naval rivalry between Britain and France, on the anniversary of battle of Quiberon Bay, Nov 20th 1759.

Asid

Update 1.336 released!

Update 1.336 improves the AI behavior and balancing in campaigns:

- AI aggressivity can now be adjusted in options menu, choose from: normal, aggressive, warmonger
- select option "military focus" to let the AI control your economy, your construction, your research, your financials and your policies
- enemy armies now make invasions over greater distances and also from allied territory
- enemy armies now wait for supply before continuing invasions
- increased AI naval movement
- rebalancing supply duration of sieges
- AI now assaults in sieges depending on the relative strength and morale to the defender
- AI now places more garrisons in occupied cities or forts
- breaking out of war due to historic events and behavior of allies now better balanced
- improved repairs and upgrades of AI buildings
- occupied provinces are now only tradeable in peace periods and to the claiming nation
- rebalancing of maneuver order

Fixed bugs:
- removed double goals after resuming historic battles
- loading commander data properly when resuming battles
- enemy armies now not moving away within sieges
- fixed some smaller fog of war topics in campaigns
- fixed not accessible buildings during repairs
- sieges are now broken up if peace is declared
- fixed infinate morale and strength numbers due to zero strength regiments sieges
- 12pdr now researchable

Others:
- updated manual:
http://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/400470/manuals/THE_SEVEN_YEARS_WAR_-_Game_manual.pdf?t=1480015314

Pomeranian War - DLC released!

Today I am proud to finally announce the release of Ilja Varha's DLC "Pomeranian War"!

http://store.steampowered.com/app/538430/

In 1757, with the Seven Years' War raging in Europe and the colonies, the so far neutral Sweden under the political leadership of the hard line Hats -party decides to take advantage of the situation by allying once again with France, joining the anti-Prussian coalition.

Features:

- new playable nation: Sweden
- 5 new campaign scenarios for Sweden, where you may attempt to lead the nation from 1750 all the way through the war, or go for historical goals in the two major operations of the war. Or maybe even restore the empire of the era of great power, "stormaktstiden", lost in the Great Northern War...
- two new national policies: Naval invasion preparations and mercantilism
- new nation specific historic events and march music for Sweden
- revised and expanded roster of Swedish military units
- bonus scenario for the French, with historical strategic goal of invading Britain in 1759

Historical background information by Ilja Varha:
http://steamcommunity.com/games/400470/announcements/detail/597119843280908762
http://steamcommunity.com/games/400470/announcements/detail/597119843274276519
http://steamcommunity.com/games/400470/announcements/detail/736730527326447096
War in Pieces

I stand against Racism, Bigotry and Bullying

Zipuli

Also the game is on sale at Steam, -30% off! =)

Hofstadter

Had a go, still cant recommend this game at all. Still an obscure economy simulator
My wargaming channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCx_VZ48DOrINe4XA7Bvf99A

"I earned the right to shoot Havoc!"

panzerde

Quote from: Hofstadter on November 28, 2016, 05:06:35 AM
Had a go, still cant recommend this game at all. Still an obscure economy simulator

I haven't tried it with the new patch yet - just curious, did you try it with the AI managing the economy? If it's still an economy simulator after that, that's unfortunate.  :(
"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

sandman2575

If you can just subordinate the economy to AI, kind of raises the question of why such a micro-detailed economy is in the game in the first place.

I honestly feel Seven Years War would have been much better served by abstracting / simplifying the economic simulation and putting the emphasis on where the game shines: the military side.

panzerde

Quote from: sandman2575 on November 28, 2016, 08:30:53 AM
If you can just subordinate the economy to AI, kind of raises the question of why such a micro-detailed economy is in the game in the first place.

I honestly feel Seven Years War would have been much better served by abstracting / simplifying the economic simulation and putting the emphasis on where the game shines: the military side.

I agree. I'm guessing that the new ability to put the economy on auto-pilot is in response to feedback exactly like this. I would suspect that the economic engine is an attempt to improve on the non-military parts of Empire: Total War, as is much of the rest of the game. Granted, the war bankrupted nearly all of the nations involved, and I guess there's an element of managing your economy in such a way as to keep your armies in the field that's relevant. Having said that, you don't need a tech tree, you don't need fine grained control over what building to build, or anything like that to be able to simulate that aspect of the war. Something more like AGEODs regional decisions system of some general economic sliders would do the trick.

"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

Zipuli

Yes, the automanagement is indeed response to feedback on this forum and others alike. Hope it helps the players who otherwise find the game appealing (the real time battles, and the campaign aspect), but who would like to concentrate only on moving the armies and fighting battles.

Battles and military campaigns of course are the real focus of the game, and the economy is there to support it by creating the same problems real commanders faced once the armies were on the move: it is costly, replacements and supplies need to flow for the armies to exist as efficient fighting forces, battles lost and even won with too great casualties will mean reaching culmination point of a whole operation etc. It was usually military commanders who neglected the other aspects that caused greatest damage to their nation. For example reading the history of the Pomeranian War it is quite apparent, that it was not won or lost in the battlefield. With army of 40.000 strong, Sweden losing a few thousand soldiers in all the battles combined sounds like little, but in reality the war was a catastrophy to the nation, and death toll was way bigger from attrition, sickness (and malnutrition of civilians!). Of course not all players will enjoy all the aspects of the game, same with every title - and the automanagement is there to help, but not to remove the economic simulation running in the background.

Zipuli

Real and Simulated Wars paid a quick visit to Pomerania, in the "obscure war gaming delicacy" of 7YW:

http://kriegsimulation.blogspot.fi/2016/12/the-seven-years-war-1756-1763.html?m=1

keppelmueller

Well I added the huge economic background because economy was a main factor of winning or losing wars during that time. Austria and France kept the largest armies in the field, but did not succeed. Yes there was a lack of good commanders too but Austria and France could both have been successful in the end if its finances would not have been broken during that time.

Also supply was a main issue. I did not want to make a TW clone and add additional possibilities to win campaigns on economic terms. If you destroy the opponent's weapon industry he will not be able to replace his losses. If you loot down his provinces the people will revolt and starve which influences recruits growth. If you have a strong trade network you may keep additional troops in battle or build up a huge navy like Britain did. If you do not repay your war loans your allies may choose to leave the alliance etc.

So overall you have the opportunity to win campaigns off the battlefields but it's on you to decide how to win. Especially with the new automanagement topic you won't have to take care about prices, building, trade etc. and you may only focus on military warfare...

Boggit

Congratulations to Ilja and Oliver on their new DLC release. It looks like a very interesting subject.

I wonder if Oliver, building on the success of his game, has given any thought to a DLC exploring Austria's, and ultimately much of eastern Europe's struggles with the Ottoman empire between 1500-1700 - 2 sieges of Vienna, and a host of battles?
The most shocking fact about war is that its victims and its instruments are individual human beings, and that these individual beings are condemned by the monstrous conventions of politics to murder or be murdered in quarrels not their own. Aldous Huxley

Foul Temptress! (Mirth replying to Gus) ;)

On a good day, our legislature has the prestige of a drunk urinating on a wall at 4am and getting most of it on his shoe. On a good day  ::) Steelgrave

It's kind of silly to investigate whether or not a Clinton is lying. That's sort of like investigating why the sky is blue. Banzai_Cat

keppelmueller

Well, we are indeed involved in a new project but it is a bit too early to publish any details. Main focus is improving UI and bringing the engine to the 21st century as well as adding even more realistic military features.

Zipuli

The Wargamer.com has posted their review, in 2 parts:

http://www.wargamer.com/reviews/review-the-seven-years-war-1756-1763-part-1/
http://www.wargamer.com/reviews/review-the-seven-years-war-1756-1763-part-ii/

"The full The Seven Years War campaign mode is recommended only for hard-core nation builders but the Military Focus mode, aided by a delightful soundtrack, should suit any gamer interested in the period."

"The Seven Years War may not have the polish a large company could give it. The graphics and interface could be improved. What it does have is the vibrancy and intensity a dedicated man can give it. In an era where developers are pushed by corporate concerns, gamers – especially those interested in understudied topics – should embrace this game and use it as a model for the path our hobby should take."