The "Uber" Command: Modern Air/Naval Ops Thread

Started by Grim.Reaper, December 19, 2012, 03:07:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RyanE

It wasn't "all" those features.  It was the recording feature.  And it was restored.

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Jarhead0331

Quote from: solops on April 12, 2017, 11:01:08 AM
I am afraid to update CMANO any more. Did the final release of the latest patch 1.11 SR7 restore all of the features they removed in SR6 (replay, etc.)? I asked over in the Matrix forum but was ignored, like "What? Move along, no problem here." And now they have a beta patch 1.12 out. Honestly, I'll never update again without checking to see if I'm going to get screwed. The Devs made a great game, but they have destroyed my trust.

I don't think that's fair. The developers listened, heard the message loud and clear, and reversed their course. This should be applauded in my opinion, as in my experience, most developers just dig their heels in.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

RyanE

It was a little touch and go, but I respect that they heard the concerns and immediately reversed course.  I actually have a little more respect for a company that does that.

Dimitris

Red Phoenix, Team Carney and some fixes: #CMANO Community scenario pack updated
http://www.warfaresims.com/?p=4467
Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations
http://www.warfaresims.com/Command

solops

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on April 12, 2017, 11:39:06 AM
Quote from: solops on April 12, 2017, 11:01:08 AM
I am afraid to update CMANO any more. Did the final release of the latest patch 1.11 SR7 restore all of the features they removed in SR6 (replay, etc.)? I asked over in the Matrix forum but was ignored, like "What? Move along, no problem here." And now they have a beta patch 1.12 out. Honestly, I'll never update again without checking to see if I'm going to get screwed. The Devs made a great game, but they have destroyed my trust.

I don't think that's fair. The developers listened, heard the message loud and clear, and reversed their course. This should be applauded in my opinion, as in my experience, most developers just dig their heels in.

All true, you are correct. After a good whack, they heard and corrected. They did the right thing. They were responsive to their customers. They get a gold star when so many developers get only a dog poop (see avatar for source material). ALL Devs should respond that way and my support for them has been mainly restored. Nevertheless, I am no longer blindly installing every update.
"I could have conquered Europe, all of it, but I had women in my life." - King Henry II of England
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly. - Winston Churchill
Wine is sure proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Benjamin Franklin

Dimitris

Quote from: solops on April 21, 2017, 12:52:58 PM
All true, you are correct. After a good whack, they heard and corrected.

Screenshoted.

Let's see if I'm the only one who considers this incredibly offensive & condescending.
Command: Modern Air/Naval Operations
http://www.warfaresims.com/Command

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

Jarhead0331

Quote from: mirth on April 21, 2017, 01:23:14 PM
Here we go  ::)

We're not going anywhere.

Not another word from anyone. I mean it.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

jamus34

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on April 21, 2017, 04:11:42 PM
Quote from: mirth on April 21, 2017, 01:23:14 PM
Here we go  ::)

We're not going anywhere.

Not another word from anyone. I mean it.

"I'll turn this car around right now, I swear"
Insert witty comment here.

Jarhead0331

Are the new features for this standalone DLC included in a free patch? I don't particularly care for the campaign and scenarios, but the new features are very interesting. Not sure they are worth $20 to me, though...
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog

RyanE

I will probably never play the campaign, But am buying it out of support for a developer that has added so much to a game and not really taken any extra money for it.  I feel kind of guilty that so much has been added.  There is about 10 full games worth of content and major feature adds that have been done in three years.

mirth

This sounds a bit messy:

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/fb.asp?m=4286195

Quote<blockquote>quote:

ORIGINAL:  AlexinCT
The content now telling me I can't even open my scenario in edit mode was available before. It was content I found in the DB while doing research to create stuff, and I added it without realizing it would now block the scenario I made until I got the expansion. Note that I definitely plan to buy the expansion, so it is just 2 days of waiting for me. But people not doing that immediately when it comes out, or more importantly, not planning to get the expansion at all, suddenly discovering home made scenarios built with content that was available before but now makes these scenarios I had created suddenly not usable, conceivably would not be happy.

Not really complaining. Just surprised I can't update a lot of my home made scenarios to the latest & greatest for a couple of days until the expansion comes out.
</blockquote>

Hi,

This is something that has come up before; see for example this thread, where certain people had no qualms about labeling the game as "hostageware" (One may hope, in vain probably, that with WannaCry etc. in the news, some people will finally get some much-needed perspective).

Here's a short recap:

* The recent DB versions (last few months) include the new weapon types (railguns/HVPs, Phase-2 lasers etc.). Putting them on the DBs well before v1.12's release was unavoidable because otherwise we wouldn't be able to develop and test the mechanics for the new weapon types.

* To prevent people from using these new toys before their time and without the correct license, we added pre-fire license checks on each of them, both for manual and automatic fire. This "works", but it does mean that if these weapons are the linchpin of a scenario (or simply of the user's plan), suddenly discovering they don't work can be a nasty surprise (see my "axe murdering" post here).

* Beginning with the v1.12 RC, to avoid the axe-wielding problem, we essentially moved the licensing check & block from the weapon pre-fire phase to the scenario-loading step. We have also stated that if anyone has a scenario in which such systems have been inserted, and can thus no longer load it, can send it to us and we'll be happy to remove the offending systems for him, thus making it loadable. 

Let me emphasize this: Our priority is to minimize user annoyance. Being blocked at scen-load is irritating, no argument there. Now imagine how much worse it is to be blocked just as you're ready to fire the goddamn weapon (presumably after having invested a significant time on the scenario). Instant REDRUM!

(ALSO: Since the new weapon types were inoperative before v1.12 anyway, any "innocent argument" along the lines of "They are taking back features unless you pay!" is dead-on-arrival. I'm not saying that some people will deliberately try to spin it this way.... perish the thought.)

How to avoid this next time? Only reliable way I can see is to refrain from releasing updated DBs in-between major versions (since the whole thing originated with scen authors using platforms they shouldn't have). Good solution? Bad solution? Depends who you ask. If you can think of a better practical alternative we're all ears.

Thanks.