Previous topic - Next topic

Con

Good advice on storage of payment information.  I deleted mine today as well

Thanks
Con

eyebiter

Shelldrake

Quote from: W8taminute on November 14, 2013, 09:23:51 AM
That's a good move Gus.  I never store my payment info either in Steam, XBOXLive, Gamersgate, etc.

I don't store my payment info on line either. I don't even do on-line banking, just in case I am hacked without knowing it.
"Just because something is beyond your comprehension doesn't mean it is scientific."

Dean Edell

Gusington

Nothing ever came of this so...the safeguards seem pretty decent.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

W8taminute

Quote from: eyebiter on November 24, 2013, 10:02:21 AM
Gamestop and other retailers offer prepaid steam cards, just enter the code and it adds funds to your steam account.

I think Best Buy does as well.  Great idea btw.  Next time I'm in either of those shops I think I'll pickup a 50 dollar card.
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

BanzaiCat

I've been buying Steam cards for myself and my son from Gamestop for a while now. It's the only way to go for me. Once the funds are low, I just make myself wait until I can get more into my 'steam wallet.'

Mr. Bigglesworth

In the last week I upgraded my old laptop, which had started to slow to a crawl, to Win 8.1. I did a clean install formatting the drive from the DVD from Amazon. Within 2-3 days I had a rootkit + virus signatures on it. WTF? It was still pretty much a virgin system. I had installed firefox, chrome, kindle reader, Raw Therapee, AV program. I had only visited about a dozen sites.

Recommend you make sure your AV is up to date.
"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598

eyebiter

Mr. Bigglesworth

Quote from: eyebiter on December 04, 2013, 05:19:19 PM
Quote from: Mr. Bigglesworth on December 04, 2013, 02:53:14 PM
In the last week I upgraded my old laptop, which had started to slow to a crawl, to Win 8.1. I did a clean install formatting the drive from the DVD from Amazon. Within 2-3 days I had a rootkit + virus signatures on it. WTF? It was still pretty much a virgin system. I had installed firefox, chrome, kindle reader, Raw Therapee, AV program. I had only visited about a dozen sites.

If your using firefox consider adding the NoScript browser extension, helps avoid many of those drive by downloads.

That sounds exactly right. The signatures were in the downloads folder, filenames I did not recognize.

skeptical.platypus

Quote from: Mr. Bigglesworth on December 04, 2013, 02:53:14 PM

Do you mind letting us know what AV program you are using that didn't catch the rootkit+virus? Always good to know which ones are keeping up with viral joneses.
The Law of Unintended Consequences, Seattle Pride Variant: The only city on the planet that can guarantee your purchase of recreational marijuana is from a stoner making $15/hr.

Mr. Bigglesworth

The microsoft freeware is a fail.
Webroot works.

skeptical.platypus

What was the rootkit + virus that Windows Defender failed to catch? I imagine a fair number of us may be already be infected. I certainly may be. I'm on win8.1 behind a router, windows firewall, and windows defender and nothing else.

It'll also be interesting see how long it takes msft to respond to this latest threat.
The Law of Unintended Consequences, Seattle Pride Variant: The only city on the planet that can guarantee your purchase of recreational marijuana is from a stoner making $15/hr.

Mr. Bigglesworth

I didn't memorize the names, just clicked clean.

skeptical.platypus

I'll give webroot a whirl and see if it sniffs anything out.

I think I understand that you went looking for a problem and found the rootkit with webroot. Or was the intrusion insidious enough that you didn't experience any symptoms and found it with webroot because of general windefender fail?

skeptical.platypus

Well, Webroot didn't find anything onboard (thankfully), but I can see it'll add value. Warned me about malicious code on a site pop up I visit fairly frequently. I'm assuming my router has saved me previously from whatever evils lurk there, lol.