Main Menu

HELP - STEAM!!

Started by bob48, June 17, 2013, 04:37:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bob48

I had bad crash earlier, and now, when I log onto steam, all my games are gone as is my friends list. At the bottom of the screen it tells me I'm not connected - although it shows mt account name at the top of the screen.

Furthermore, I cannot launch any games even if offline mode.

Anyone had this problem before or have any idea's?

:(
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

Bison

Did you get any error messages?

I'd try the following things first.

Update the Steam Client.

Restart computer.

Exit and restart Steam.

bob48

Tried all that Bison. The daft thing is, even though it shows my account name (top right) it also shows me as being 'not connected' at the bottom of the screen.

Not only does it show my library (and friends list) as empty, I cannot run any games in off-line mode.

I've sent an email to support, but they are not the most helpful bunch when it comes to sorting problems out (or so has been ny past experience of them).

Thanks anyway.

'Clip those corners'

eyebiter

You might try participating in the Steam beta.  Sometimes that forces the client software to redownload, fixing some problems.  You can always opt out later.

Another possible solution is to exit steam, rename the client.blob file, then restart steam.

Bison

I hate to say it, but you might need to uninstall and clear all the remaining folders from your hard drive and then reinstall the client and games.  I've never heard of an issue like yours before today.  It honestly sounds like you have some corrupted files.

There is a way also where you delete everything out of the steam folder but the .exe and the apps folder and restart and it rebuilds all of the other data on startup.

Gusington

^Yeah you may need to totally uninstall and then reinstall Steam like Bison says.

Unless you can revert your computer to a previous state...say a day or two before this crash happened. Do you know how to do that?

This assumes you have Windows 7.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Staggerwing

Before you do a complete re install read up on how to save your games files as mentioned above. You copy them to a placeholder folder and then put them back after re installing steam.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

bob48

Thanks for the advice guys. I had a feeling that only a reinstall would fix it, but the thought of having to put the games back on is a pain, so I'll read up on that.

Aye, thanks Gus, I do know how to revert, and it is W7, but have a feeling that in this case, it wont fix the problem.

If I'm not on Grogs for more'n 1 day, then you will know I have thrown the PC outta the window  >:(

'Clip those corners'

Gusington

It can't hurt to try revert. There's another rhyme...

Anyway reverting could.potentially save some pain.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

bob48

Deleted steam and reinstalled it - still wont let me even run steam now - its totally f*cked-up.

Have sent second plea for help to them, no answer so far. I think my steam game days are over.

Needless to say, I'm a very unhappy and frustrated bunny.

'Clip those corners'

undercovergeek

Quote from: bob48 on June 18, 2013, 02:18:40 PM
Deleted steam and reinstalled it - still wont let me even run steam now - its totally f*cked-up.

Have sent second plea for help to them, no answer so far. I think my steam game days are over.

Needless to say, I'm a very unhappy and frustrated bunny.

can you not roll back bob?

MikeGER

Bob ...go to the HDD drive (maybe C: ) where steam is installed with explorer, open Proprieties, select the Tools-Tab, start an error-check on that drive, reboot and windows will sort out the disk before windows get lauched
Maybe you have a bad sectore(s) or a corrupt file that belongs to steam.
The NTFS filesystem will reconstruct the bad sectore(s) information and mark it for not to be used again   

Bison

I think your issue might very well be a hardware issue.  I've never heard of the issue you're discribing.

Silent Disapproval Robot

Weird.  Mine just brain farted on itself as well.  Not as bad as Bob's though.  It started yet another retardedly huge update for War of the Roses and got about 60% done when Steam locked up.  Then my internet connection locked up.  Then my desktop locked up and I rebooted.  My War of the Roses files are still in my folder but Steam doesn't see them.  No biggie really as I never play that sucky game anyway.

bob48

Quote from: MikeGER on June 18, 2013, 05:07:27 PM
Bob ...go to the HDD drive (maybe C: ) where steam is installed with explorer, open Proprieties, select the Tools-Tab, start an error-check on that drive, reboot and windows will sort out the disk before windows get lauched
Maybe you have a bad sectore(s) or a corrupt file that belongs to steam.
The NTFS filesystem will reconstruct the bad sectore(s) information and mark it for not to be used again   
Thanks Mike - did that and left it to run overnight and seems to have sorted out a few issues :)

'Clip those corners'