Main Menu

two dead cpu's

Started by GDS_Starfury, June 20, 2014, 04:36:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GDS_Starfury

In two weeks Ive had two cpus go tits up for no reason.  Both times the cpu wasnt under load.  Sny ideas?
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

bob48

Over heated? What's your cooling arrangements like - LOL, I shouldn't ask - you're one of the coolest people I know :2funny:
'We few, we happy few, we band of brothers'

'Clip those corners'

Recombobulate the discombobulators!

undercovergeek

are you overclocking?

have you got the paste in the right place?

fan not working?

holy crap is this your brand new one?

Staggerwing

Did you swap out the PSU as well? IIRC, you said you already have a line conditioner or UPS plugged into the wall outlet. Sure nothing's shorting between the case and mobo or other components? What about your broadband source- wifi or wired? Could be a bad wall plug where the router is. You are going to have to make a checklist and one by one eliminate all the possibilities. Also, if you move any of the cords going to wall outlets try to plug them into outlets not on the same breaker as the original, just in case.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

GDS_Starfury

Put the 3rd cpu in and now im getting a circut parity error.
everything is new and I've never had this much of a problem.
Im thinking of just returning everything .
fwiw at no time did the temp go over 120 f.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Staggerwing

Bad mobo? Bad BIOS? Try a reset and then swapping that mobo out if no joy.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

GDS_Starfury

I reset the bios with no effect.  If its the mb im going to be pissed.  Ive been back and forth at tiger direct to many times thus week.

eyebiter

Mr. Bigglesworth

That sux. Probably the mobo. Any other weird power issues with other equipment?
"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598

GDS_Starfury

the fucking thing is possessed!
took out the video card and then took out the battery and cleared the cmos with the jumper.
put everything back in and let it sit for a bit.
first try nada
second try everything powered up but the cpu
hit the clearMem button again.
3rd power up and its all working.
I just got the latest bios installed and we'll see how it goes.  I've 28 days to return all the parts if it goes tits up again.

Windigo

bet your ass its the mobo....
My doctor wrote me a prescription for daily sex.

My wife insists that it says dyslexia but what does she know.

GDS_Starfury

Im considering taking it to their tech guys and having them bench test it.

another $100....

GDS_Starfury

my research is pointing to the bios but I cant find anything specific that got updated over the versions.
but Ive read posts where this cpu doesnt play well with the older versions.
it took 5 days to fail so well see what happens.

Mr. Bigglesworth

Typically with electronics, defectives die in days. Swap the mobo. If that one has died, it will die again on an ongoing basis, especially when you are in a big tank battle.
"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more; "
- Shakespeare's Henry V, Act III, 1598

GDS_Starfury

it was never the mb that died.