What's the most you've ever spent on a game?

Started by Huw the Poo, November 29, 2018, 03:29:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Huw the Poo

I'm sure some of you hardcore simmers will easily beat me in this one, but I am embarrassed proud to admit I spent nearly £100 on Stardock's Fallen Enchantress.  It wasn't called that to begin with, it was something like Elemental: War of Magic.

I was always a fan of Stardock's, and I was very excited for a fantasy-themed game from them.  I really fanboyed hard on this one....I read all the developer diaries, watched all the videos, lived the hype.  Eventually they announced the preorder of the collector's edition for something like £65.  They could only ship from the US so although I don't recall the exact amount, shipping was a lot.  And finally it was stopped at customs so I had to pay another hefty fee to pick it up.  Nearly £100 all told.

Here's what I got:

Jarhead0331

I've spent about $700 on Star Citizen over a period of about 4 years. Does this count?  :-[
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Silent Disapproval Robot

I think I'm into Wings of Glory for about $3,000.

Father Ted

I'll see your $3000 Wings of Glory and raise you...nope, I'll fold.

Dammit Carl!

Offhand, I know I've dumped quite a bit (upwards of $200 easy) on World of Tanks/World of Warships over the years via premium vehicles or premium time. 

On one hand, I see that and go, "whoa, dude you spent that on a flippin' free to play game, man" but on the other hand, I've certainly enjoyed the time I've spent playing the games and think that it's good to support the people who provide us with such things.

IronX

For a stand-alone product, I think about C$125 for Steel Beasts. I've spent as much on CM Normandy - and possibly more on Field of Glory - with all its modules/upgrades.

Huw the Poo

Heh, I forgot about ongoing support.  In that case I've probably spent somewhere close to £200 on Warframe.

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on November 29, 2018, 03:33:39 PM

How?!  :o

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

JasonPratt

I'm sure the most I've ever spent on a single game must be... wait, I was going to say one of Gary Grigsby's monsters ($75-ish for Admiral's Edition WitP, a game I have never once truly played), but then I remembered I spent $125 freaking dollars on that turn-based Battletech game that died.

What I've spent on Crusader King 2 and Europa Universalis 4, separately, when it comes to all the expansions, I could not even guess. Well over $125 I'm sure.

Come to think of it, I'm sure I've spent around $150 on Magic Duels, the latest (and still the best) iteration of online Magic: the Gathering. ("Shandalar" is the definite best, but not really an online experience anymore, and unofficial now anyway.) If I sold some of my physical cards, I could probably recoup that easily -- I don't have the monstrous numbers of other collectors, but I have one specific card that retails at collector's shops for about that, and then many other old cards now considered collectables.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

IronX

jomni

A lot on FSX (add-ons). Maybe $1000. Do you want to include peripherals?
For a single game, it's Steel Beasts of course.

Gusington

$79.00 US = ~ 1,000,000 Turkish lire, right?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Sir Slash

Yes, and about 5 Billion in Venezula.... wait, no 6 Billion now.... sorry 7 Billion... now 8. :o   Way back when in the 80's I spent $110 on my Intellivision 'Voice Add-on Device' along with the game, "B-17 Bomber". Worth every penny.  :dreamer:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Silent Disapproval Robot

Quote from: Huw the Poo on November 29, 2018, 06:04:58 PM
Heh, I forgot about ongoing support.  In that case I've probably spent somewhere close to £200 on Warframe.

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on November 29, 2018, 03:33:39 PM

How?!  :o

I don't ask.  New planes or accessories come out, I buy them.  Adds up after a while.

Yskonyn

If we're talking physical and digital then:
Warfighter Modern takes my prize for a physical game. Over 600 spent.

Digitally I have splurged the most cash ever on Shroud of the Avatar. That still pains me, because I don't really like the game so far, but I went all in on the idea of a new UO like sandbox experience where combat and questing would just be one facet of the gaming world.
Spent over 300 on it over the backer period. Bah.
It really made me quit buying early access games, really.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."