Advice on some GMT solitaire games

Started by Tiamak, June 30, 2018, 09:19:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiamak

After enjoying playing a few DVG games I'm looking for advice on some GMT solitaire games. In particular Comancheria and Unconditional Surrender.
I know Comancheria is purely a solitaire game and would appreciate any feedback.
As for Unconditional Surrender I believe there is a solitaire option??   

Barthheart

I have Unconditional Surrender and there is no soo option, at least not in the rules. But it is very easy to play both/all sides. There is no hidden info.

Victory Point games also puts out some fine solo only games.

And there's also the D-Day at Omaha Beach series from Decision Games that are great fun to play.

Tiamak

Thanks Barthheart, I'll take a look at Victory Point and Decision Games sites.

BanzaiCat

I have Comancheria but unfortunately haven't had time to look at it. I bought it because I'd heard nothing but good things about it.

DennisS

Quote from: BanzaiCat on July 10, 2018, 01:34:46 PM
I have Comancheria but unfortunately haven't had time to look at it. I bought it because I'd heard nothing but good things about it.

I have Comancheria as well as Navajo Wars. Both are excellent, and the author has done his research. Very solid tactical solitaire games.

Tiamak

Thanks all for the feedback, much appreciated.  Ordered Comancheria as it seems a great solitaire game!!

My mistake with Unconditional Surrender, got mixed up with Space Empires, easy to do as one is WW2.... :uglystupid2:

But still am interested in Unconditional Surrender.

But D-Day at Omaha looks a great game that I have to own!  I'll leave some hints for the family, and maybe Santa will visit...

BanzaiCat

D-Day at Omaha is indeed an outstanding game. I prefer D-Day at Tarawa, just from a thematic standpoint, but I do enjoy Omaha a great deal. Really would like to get D-Day at Peleliu as well, eventually.

DennisS

Quote from: BanzaiCat on July 17, 2018, 08:39:14 AM
D-Day at Omaha is indeed an outstanding game. I prefer D-Day at Tarawa, just from a thematic standpoint, but I do enjoy Omaha a great deal. Really would like to get D-Day at Peleliu as well, eventually.

I have a birthday in two weeks, and the authorization from my financial advisor (the missus) to buy a couple of games.

I REALLY like the concept of these D-Day games...but they don't appear to be too accessible, and it also appears that the player doesn't win very often. Thoughts?

ComradeP

To me, the games look great, but also a bit too much like a puzzle: there's an optimal path through the beach defences, and it's up to you to find it. It looks like you're clearing the beach one obstacle/strongpoint at a time, which is fine and enjoyable once or twice but the replay value of a mostly non-dynamic environment isn't very high.
The fact that these people drew inspiration...and then became chicken farmers - Cyrano, Dragon' Up The Past #45

BanzaiCat

Quote from: ComradeP on August 22, 2018, 02:00:30 AM
To me, the games look great, but also a bit too much like a puzzle: there's an optimal path through the beach defences, and it's up to you to find it. It looks like you're clearing the beach one obstacle/strongpoint at a time, which is fine and enjoyable once or twice but the replay value of a mostly non-dynamic environment isn't very high.

The game is driven entirely by cards, so the outcome is never the same. There's tons of replayability.

Nefaro

Quote from: DennisS on August 21, 2018, 10:53:35 PM

I have a birthday in two weeks, and the authorization from my financial advisor (the missus) to buy a couple of games.

I REALLY like the concept of these D-Day games...but they don't appear to be too accessible, and it also appears that the player doesn't win very often. Thoughts?

I can't speak for the rest, but I prefer my solitaire/co-op games to beat me mercilessly. 

If the automated game opponent is too easy during my early plays, it just doesn't motivate me to come back and play again. 

They have to be tough to be good as that means I have room for figuring out & improving strategies and inclines me to do so.  :bd:

JasonPratt

Note that there's a $10 adaptation of one of those "D-Day" card-driven games. https://store.steampowered.com/search/?snr=1_4_4__12&term=d-day
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Barthheart

JasonPratt

Oh, sorry, I did copy the html address showing on the proper page, but it was still the "list" html for some no good buggy reason.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/620640/Lightning_DDay/
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Barthheart

Ah... but Lightening D-Day is still not one of the "D-Day At..." series mentioned above.