Field of Glory Empires MP Game New Thread.

Started by devoncop, June 04, 2019, 01:10:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barthheart

Ummmm.... watch out if he brings a large wooden horse with him....  :hide:

devoncop

Quote from: Barthheart on August 04, 2019, 04:50:32 PM
Ummmm.... watch out if he brings a large wooden horse with him....  :hide:

Egypt has many qualities in its army...horses (wooden or otherwise) are not one of them.....😏
http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=534&t=92000

Link to Field of Glory Empires MP forum with Slitherine Games

al_infierno

In other words, don't accept any gifts of large wooden camels from Egypt.   :hide:
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

JasonPratt

I certainly intend to go north (I can hardly go south, and west looks rather crowded.)

However, at this time I don't own any coastal areas.

Qataba however has several, including their capital. Also at least one navy meandering around, although I have no idea how I would know about that (no longer being on the coast) -- but I could see them show up on the map two turns ago when their siege force was withdrawing to their capital.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

devoncop

Quote from: JasonPratt on August 04, 2019, 09:46:28 PM
I certainly intend to go north (I can hardly go south, and west looks rather crowded.)

However, at this time I don't own any coastal areas.

Qataba however has several, including their capital. Also at least one navy meandering around, although I have no idea how I would know about that (no longer being on the coast) -- but I could see them show up on the map two turns ago when their siege force was withdrawing to their capital.

That is all noted.

I will check the ledger to see how big their navy is. I doubt it is too substantial. It may be I can hit an independent to gain access if there are any still around (and the food situation is good enough) . I cannot risk shipping the army across after I declare war on your arch enemies as I have no navy in the area of sea to your west so it would risk being sunk .

JasonPratt

Even as we grow,
Foes return again.
Gather all inside!
Heave a higher wall!
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

Sir Slash

Higher walls are ALWAYS a good idea.  :clap:
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Tripoli

Quote from: JasonPratt on August 08, 2019, 08:29:04 AM
Even as we grow,
Foes return again.
Gather all inside!
Heave a higher wall!

I'm tempted to start a "Go Fund Me" for Saba   :)
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

devoncop

Quote from: JasonPratt on August 08, 2019, 08:29:04 AM
Even as we grow,
Foes return again.
Gather all inside!
Heave a higher wall!

Egyptian relief column still fighting its way to you  !!

Keep the faith  :peace:

JasonPratt

As pitiful as the situation is, it's still all my own fault, and I'd rather the AI be able to exploit that than dither around insanely.  :smitten:

And, we're still chugging along. I'll have an actual wall built, despite the siege, in four or five years; and they'll need well over six years to crack through what I've already got in defenders and a pallisade (plus our awesome epic-level fort we start the game with).

Even so, they have three territories to develop and I only have one I can sometimes develop. It's my own fault (and the AI was smart), but it's still a losing proposition.  :hide:

Tripoli

Quote from: JasonPratt on August 08, 2019, 12:09:23 PM
As pitiful as the situation is, it's still all my own fault, and I'd rather the AI be able to exploit that than dither around insanely.  :smitten:

And, we're still chugging along. I'll have an actual wall built, despite the siege, in four or five years; and they'll need well over six years to crack through.

Even so, they have three territories to develop and I only have one I can sometimes develop. It's my own fault (and the AI was smart), but it's still a losing proposition.  :hide:

That's what I like about this game-the AI takes advantage of my weakeness.  As Rome, I have a real threat of barbarian invasions.  If I'm occupied in the south, the previously quiet Gallic tribes may decide to attack.  Unlike a lot of games where the AI is merely a passive punching bag for me, this game notices my weakness and tries to take advantage of it.
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

devoncop

Quote from: Tripoli on August 08, 2019, 12:16:21 PM
Quote from: JasonPratt on August 08, 2019, 12:09:23 PM

And, we're still chugging along. I'll have an actual wall built, despite the siege, in four or five years; and they'll need well over six years to crack through.

That's what I like about this game-the AI takes advantage of my weakeness.  As Rome, I have a real threat of barbarian invasions.  If I'm occupied in the south, the previously quiet Gallic tribes may decide to attack.  Unlike a lot of games where the AI is merely a passive punching bag for me, this game notices my weakness and tries to take advantage of it.

Very much agree with this.

You can't give a bigger compliment to a game when you can often see the AI acting the way you would do as a player and I have certainly seen that.

Rome I am finding is a fascinating nation to play which is very much contrary to what I imagined. Initially very tricky and just when you manage to unify Italy and imagine that your steamroller can begin you hit the rebellious regions of Cisalpine Gaul and either the likely but Gaulish nations if you head west, the mountainous raid living Balkan tribes if you head East of the intimidating naval powers of Carthage and Ptolemaic Egypt if you head south....

What is nice is that almost every major nation comes across similar (though not identical) dilemmas.

devoncop

Quote from: Gusington on August 08, 2019, 12:31:38 PM
How is AI Bactria doing?

The Seleucids or your allies may have more info but they haven't lost any territory that I can see.

The Saka have main gains and the Mauryans, having been hit hard and split in two by the main Seleucid forces now have hit back and the Seleucids may have some problems ......so all set up nicely  for when you get back !!

JasonPratt

I can verify that AI Bactria has not invaded me yet. For whatever that's worth.  ^-^

QuoteYou can't give a bigger compliment to a game when you can often see the AI acting the way you would do as a player...

Or better!  :bd: :hide: