Origins 2018 ~ June 13-17 (Columbus OH)

Started by bayonetbrant, June 21, 2017, 07:24:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bayonetbrant

Quote from: airboy on May 15, 2018, 10:37:00 AMLarry & Jim Butcher are the two reasonably well known authors who actually game.

I'd put Matt Forbeck & Michael Stackpole at the top of that list before Correia / Butcher.  Not saying they aren't gamers, but Forbeck & Stackpole have decades of both under their belts.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

airboy

Quote from: bayonetbrant on May 15, 2018, 10:39:18 AM
Quote from: airboy on May 15, 2018, 10:37:00 AMLarry & Jim Butcher are the two reasonably well known authors who actually game.

I'd put Matt Forbeck & Michael Stackpole at the top of that list before Correia / Butcher.  Not saying they aren't gamers, but Forbeck & Stackpole have decades of both under their belts.

They are also worthy names.  Forbeck has a much stronger game publishing background than he has as a writer of Novels.  Butcher & Correia have sold a ton more books than Stackpole.  But any of these four would be an excellent choice for Origins - assuming some stupid political thing does not intervene.

mirth

I've read a bunch of stuff about this, including tweets and blog posts from Correia. I've reached the conclusion that I still don't care one way or the other.

What is fascinating is just how badly GAMA bungled it. Epic fail.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Cyrano

@mirth:  What I told Brant this morning:  somebody over there either knew what they were stepping into or they bloody well should have.

No excuse either way.

Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

mirth

^yup. Once he was named as a GoH, they guaranteed some group was going to be pissed. That GAMA has managed to piss of all sides is truly impressive.
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

mirth

On the bright side, Origins 2018 will no longer solely be remembered for the Registration Fail.

bbmike

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

airboy

Ironically, the hardback book I ordered so Larry Correia could sign it for a Christmas present for my brother arrived in this afternoons mail.

airboy

Quote from: mirth on May 15, 2018, 11:57:50 AM
On the bright side, Origins 2018 will no longer solely be remembered for the Registration Fail.

True that.

Con organizers are like sports referees.  If they do their job properly, people don't think about them.  It is bad news when they become part of the story.

BanzaiCat

Quote from: airboy on May 15, 2018, 01:02:24 PM
Ironically, the hardback book I ordered so Larry Correia could sign it for a Christmas present for my brother arrived in this afternoons mail.

I wonder if you wrote the guy, if you could maybe get him to sign it by sending it to him in the mail? Long shot but who knows.

airboy

I'm so upset that the Origins staff disinvited Larry without even contacting him in response to the online slander that it has caused me to question ever attending Origins in the future.

I question if I should contribute money to a group that responds to slander without giving the individual a chance to respond.

I've met Larry, his wife, and his kids.  Larry is an avid gamer.

The exact same behavior occurred at CarolinasCon aimed at John Ringo - another libertarian/conservative author.  Ringo had his attorney write at least one Cease and Desist letter to those slandering both him and his wife.

bayonetbrant

The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

BanzaiCat

...and this was the early 80s when this one hit papers.

bayonetbrant

click to enlarge

and yes, it's split into 2 pieces for whatever dumbass reason