STRATEGIC COMMAND WW2: WORLD AT WAR released today

Started by Grim.Reaper, December 06, 2018, 05:51:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grim.Reaper

Saw that this game was released today at Matrix....its $40, a little more than I am willing to spend on it right now, but here is a review.

https://www.wargamer.com/reviews/strategic-command-ww2-world-at-war/

IronX

And just in time to use my member's discount!  :)

I enjoyed the Europe version so I'm looking forward to this one.

-budd-

If you own the last SCWIE on steam and are willing to buy on steam it's $10 cheaper.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

W8taminute

Quote from: IronX on December 06, 2018, 07:29:47 PM
And just in time to use my member's discount!  :)

I enjoyed the Europe version so I'm looking forward to this one.

+1  Me too
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Anguille

damn...i am tempted and yet don't have the time....

Moreb

Quote from: Anguille on December 07, 2018, 05:42:32 AM

I am tempted but don't have the money. Not that I'm broke. My bank card was hacked so the bank put a hold on it and am waiting for a new one in the mail. It will probably show up in my box while we are gone for the weekend. F****ng hacking no good thieves.
When dongles fly? - mirth

-budd-

Quote from: Moreb on December 07, 2018, 07:26:46 AM
Quote from: Anguille on December 07, 2018, 05:42:32 AM

I am tempted but don't have the money. Not that I'm broke. My bank card was hacked so the bank put a hold on it and am waiting for a new one in the mail. It will probably show up in my box while we are gone for the weekend. F****ng hacking no good thieves.

Had that happen twice to me. One of the times I had a cart full of family groceries and nope, account was empty. That was a bit embarrassing, it sucked. A police report, $50 deductable, and about 5 business days later I got my money bank.
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

Dammit Carl!

Sounds interesting - and the allusion towards WW1 getting the same kind of treatment is even more interesting to me.

airboy

I did not care for this in the previous version of the game.  I'm a big fan of Strategic Command - for ground combat.  For Naval Combat it is weak.  When the focus is the entire world, Naval Combat is very important.

I advise waiting for a more independent review.  Wargamer = Slitherine/Matrix and their reviews also often come before playing the game to completion (or playing it several times).  Understandable because they want the review to hit when the game is released, but I have less confidence in reviews timed when the game is dropped compared to those which come weeks or months later.

Don't take this as a criticism of the Strategic Command design team.  They are great and I've bought almost everything those guys made and enjoyed them - except the global conflict games which require a strong Naval engine.

bobarossa

In case you missed it, Slithering sold the Wargamer about a year ago.  Owned by same people as Pocket Tactics and Strategy Gamer, I believe.  Still, you are correct that the review is on a review copy, not final release version.

Philippe

The big disappointment for me is that the map is fixed and static:  it can only scroll to the east or west until it hits the edge of the world, and then it stops.

Continuously scrolling maps have been around for decades and many large scale games use them.  Being permanently married to an idiosyncratic version of a mercator projection seems like a lazy design decision.

My other problem with the maps is that the land masses often are often clumsy renderings of the geography they represent.  The individual hexes are computer generated rather than hand drawn, leading to weird distortions.  I'd like to say that this is driven by some game design purpose, but it isn't.  And I like Bill and Hubert too much to say what I really think is going on.

When you couple that with no stacking and a naval system that doesn't really make a serious attempt at representing what is going on in the game's time scale, I think I'm going to wait for a while on this one.

I still have a special place in my heart for the nail-biting that goes on in Carriers at War, and this game system doesn't even come close to delivering that.   And I stand up and cheer every time I fire up Steam and Iron and see what kind of a projection NWS uses.
Every generation gets the Greeks and Romans it deserves.

History is a bad joke played by the living on the dead.

Senility is no excuse for feeblemindedness.

bbmike

I look forward to playing this. I like to hotseat both sides and play it like a board game.  :bd:
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

FarAway Sooner

Woud love to be able to PBEM this with a couple buddies playing against the Axis!  All depends on whether the AI is competent.

I enjoyed the WW I version of this game, but found kinda limited replay value.  I'm hoping that the WW II version reflects more of the "breakthrough" and mobile warfare influence of WW II, because the WW I version did a great job of capturing static trench warfare, but had less of the room for maneuver.

The SC WW II:WIE title got surprisingly little coverage here, although I don't remember why...

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: FarAway Sooner on December 07, 2018, 06:17:05 PM
Woud love to be able to PBEM this with a couple buddies playing against the Axis!  All depends on whether the AI is competent.

I enjoyed the WW I version of this game, but found kinda limited replay value.  I'm hoping that the WW II version reflects more of the "breakthrough" and mobile warfare influence of WW II, because the WW I version did a great job of capturing static trench warfare, but had less of the room for maneuver.

The SC WW II:WIE title got surprisingly little coverage here, although I don't remember why...

http://grogheads.com/forums/index.php?topic=18820.msg500475#msg500475

W8taminute

Quote from: bbmike on December 07, 2018, 05:41:18 PM
I look forward to playing this. I like to hotseat both sides and play it like a board game.  :bd:

That's probably how I'll play it too.   O0
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk