Campaign Series: Vietnam - Your feedback requested

Started by Crossroads, February 10, 2018, 10:49:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crossroads

I hope you don't mind me posting this here as well:

With Middle East 2.0 out the door, all hands at Campaign Series Legion are now on Campaign Series: Vietnam, our next tactical wargame title, with an estimated release date of late summer 2018. Campaign Series: Vietnam will be a tactical turn-based wargame focusing on conflicts in Vietnam during the First Indochina and Vietnam Wars. Other conflicts are covered as well.

To assist us on our game and scenario design, we put together a web survey, asking you about your gaming profile, gaming hardware, general preferences, and yes: what you would like to see in Campaign Series: Vietnam itself. There's eighteen questions, mostly multiple choices, and completing the survey will take approximately five minutes of your time.

If this is a game title that interests you, we'd sure appreciate your feedback:

Please enter the survey here

And, if this is a game title that indeed interests you, do join our mailing list for periodical digests and news items from our site.

Thank You, or: As you were :)

Campaign Series Legion | CS: Vietnam 1948-1967 | CS: Middle East 1948-1985

CS: Vietnam DAR: LZ Albany as NVA (South Vietnam 11/17/65)  
CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

Rayfer

Crossroads

CS: Middle East AARs: High Water Mark (Syria 10/12/73) Me vs Berto | Riptide (Libya 8/6/85) Me vs Berto | The Crossroads (West Bank 6/5/67)  Me vs Berto

Boardgame AARs: AH D-Day | MMP PanzerBlitz2 Carentan | OSS Putin's Northern War | GMT Next War: Poland | LnL Against the Odds DIY

mirth

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

JasonPratt

ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Crossroads

Blucher

Survey finished.

Probably out of the scope of this game but how will you simulate guerrilla warfare? Will the Viet Cong or North Vietnamese be able to attack say an American outpost then withdraw? Will this be reflected
in the game? I found with Tiller's Dien Bien Phu it was frustrating in some of the scenario's that were basically Viet Minh hit and run operations that I had to hold on to the objectives while the French brought
in more firepower. Holding objectives when historically the Viet Minh hit the outpost then faded away into the jungle. I liked in the TOAW III Vietnam campaign series that the guerrillas would attack an ARVN or Free Forces Vietnam outpost for example then disappear into the jungle felt more realistic.

bbmike

"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Crossroads

Quote from: Blucher on February 10, 2018, 02:47:57 PM
Survey finished.

Probably out of the scope of this game but how will you simulate guerrilla warfare? Will the Viet Cong or North Vietnamese be able to attack say an American outpost then withdraw? Will this be reflected
in the game? I found with Tiller's Dien Bien Phu it was frustrating in some of the scenario's that were basically Viet Minh hit and run operations that I had to hold on to the objectives while the French brought
in more firepower. Holding objectives when historically the Viet Minh hit the outpost then faded away into the jungle. I liked in the TOAW III Vietnam campaign series that the guerrillas would attack an ARVN or Free Forces Vietnam outpost for example then disappear into the jungle felt more realistic.

Thank you for taking the survey!

As for guerilla warfare, there's a few things going on there. First, there's the Adaptive AI parameters we're hoping to have available to make concealment and spotting vary per nation and era. That should make it easier to indeed disappear into the jungle. As a completely new feature, there will be a mechanism to depict the extensive usage of Tunnels by VM/VC, with a chance to go and move under ground.

Crossroads

Staggerwing

Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

Jarhead0331

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Con

Done good idea on the survey. Think about conjoint analysis if you want to gain granularity on trade offs of game mechanics

Wolfe1759

"In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill." - Winston Churchill

Apocalypse 31