Ghostbusters 2020 = Spielbergian respect for source material?!?

Started by JasonPratt, December 09, 2019, 04:03:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JasonPratt

Not a fan film, except maybe in the best way possible?

Written and directed by Jason Reitman.
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Huw the Poo

How does that respect the source material?  It doesn't seem to have any of the spirit (lol) of the original at all, and no comedy that I could discern.  And it's full of irritations like "didn't your dad tell you about this?" despite the fact that if the events of the original film were true, then you literally have proof of the existence of the soul.  Oh and KIDS SAVE THE DAY aaaarrrrggghhhh NOOOO!

No.

JasonPratt

Agreed on no discernable comedy; the spirit is completely different in that sense. It's more of a meta-context on the current generation discovering how cool the original Ghostbusters were.

I'm a bit torn on the apparent lack of meaningful societal followup to the events of the original. On one hand, the original absolutely waved that off to the side (and even moreso in GB2, which appears to be non-canon now?) On the other hand, they could do that because it was a comedy (with some sporadic flashy action, arguably the first of its kind); whereas this is taking everything relatively seriously (in the obvious Spielbergian fashion), so then there's no excuse for the lack of cultural impact.

However, having said that: there is obviously a deep respect for the source material per se. You can plausibly argue they aren't sufficiently respecting the spirit of the source material, but they do clearly respect the material. You could even plausibly argue that they're overcompensating for 2016's lack of any respect for the source material, and so they have too much respect for the source material (which should have dry jocular irreverence.)

But they do have respect, and I'm willing to give them that much of a chance.

My guess at the moment is that this is an alternate canon sequel to the original, taking the idea of the GBs being discredited after their victory over the Gozerian (as in GB2), and playing it seriously from there.

(Edited to add: the fact that I can even type that with a straight face, so to speak, means I'm probably going to love the film. The comedy was fine, if over-the-top sometimes; but I loved the concept and the gear, and that's what they're clearly marketing for.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse

Huw the Poo

Well it's just my opinion but I think you're being far too generous Jason.  What you call respect for the material, I call ripping it off to sell what would otherwise have been a totally different film.  Setting aside the fact that it's set in the same universe, going by everything in that trailer, it seems to be a film for someone totally different to those who enjoyed the original comedies (and let's be honest, they were comedies first and foremost).

You're right that it's very Spielbergian, which is another reason I think it will suck.  Yes that's right I said it - Spielberg is a hack!  How's that for iconoclasm?! :D

Jarhead0331

Only thing that trailer accomplished was getting me in the mood for munchkins.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

SirAndrewD

"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

Anguille

JasonPratt

Quote from: Huw the Poo on December 09, 2019, 04:53:46 PM
What you call respect for the material, I call ripping it off to sell what would otherwise have been a totally different film.

Well, I mean, this IS Sony Pictures after all, so I can't discount that theory.  :hide:

Gusington

Not sure what Jason Reitman's relationship was with his father Ivan, but I would think this new movie is more of a tribute to the original than ripping it off. That sounds really harsh, Huw.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

JasonPratt

The film is clearly set up to be a Father's Day gift about how much Jason Reitman loves his Dad.

That won't make it automatically a good film, but I'm willing to give it plenty of opportunity on that alone.

I will of course write a scathing tome and post it here if I end up disappointed in the story structure etc.   You all know this  >:D

The crew seem to be on board with the film, so that may count for something, too, after the 2016 debacle: they wouldn't want to go through something like that again.

Quote from: Anguille on December 10, 2019, 06:38:02 AM
Comedy will start when the heroes come back imho

That seems plausible.

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

Huw the Poo

Quote from: Gusington on December 10, 2019, 10:13:42 AM
Not sure what Jason Reitman's relationship was with his father Ivan, but I would think this new movie is more of a tribute to the original than ripping it off. That sounds really harsh, Huw.

I call it as I see it.

JasonPratt

Quote from: Gusington on December 10, 2019, 01:32:59 PM
Will Aykroyd, Hudson or Murray be making cameos?

Everyone is listed on imdb, but that isn't necessarily official of course.

Gusington

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd