Main Menu

Witcher

Started by LoganismyHERO, December 04, 2019, 02:44:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LoganismyHERO

Starts the 20th

Anyone going to watch it?

Ubercat

I'm probably going to hold off and see how much "social justice" is in it first. If it's just a platform to push ideology I'll pass.
"If you have always believed that everyone should play by the same rules and be judged by the same standards, that would have gotten you labelled a radical 50 years ago, a liberal 25 years ago, and a racist today."

- Thomas Sowell

Gusington

I'm definitely watching it.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Huw the Poo

Quote from: Ubercat on December 04, 2019, 03:00:32 PM
I'm probably going to hold off and see how much "social justice" is in it first. If it's just a platform to push ideology I'll pass.

I always go into a new franchise with wide-eyed innocence, hoping to find something worthwhile.  I wouldn't be surprised if your fears are realised though, and I would bow out if it came to that as well.

I'm not the biggest fan of the material but it will scratch more or less the same itch that Game of Thrones scratched, so I will watch at least the first couple of episodes with my family.

Con

Quote from: Ubercat on December 04, 2019, 03:00:32 PM
Dude have you played the game?  Its all about social ideology with no one side being virtuous.  Every decision is between crap and crappier you have a narrow path to weave if you want to end up with any level of personal happiness.  Plus the threesome path ends badly for you  >:D

Sir Slash

I just got my E-Mail from Netflix... December 20th. So, Star Wars or Witcher? Or both? Been a long time since I had a three-way.  ^-^
"Take a look at that". Sgt. Wilkerson-- CMBN. His last words after spotting a German tank on the other side of a hedgerow.

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Huw the Poo

Have any of you watched any of this yet?  We watched the first episode last night.  It was alright, nothing spectacular but it didn't suck either.  The battles were very well done, I have to say.  Definitely some of the best sword play I've seen on screen.  Also I thought Henry Cavill pretty much nailed the role.  Geralt could've had a better introduction though, showcasing more of what he can do.  I'll never forget the intro to the game The Witcher 2, for example.

Is it just me or was some of the dialogue hard to make out?  Some people's speech was kind of breathy, and I feel like I missed a couple of important lines.

As I said earlier I'm not keen on the books, so I missed any fangasms there might have been.  I have never cared about the political situation in this world; I think the individual stories about Geralt and whatever contract he's taken are far more interesting.  Can any hardcore fans comment on how faithful the show is or isn't?

Huw the Poo

Hmm, no one cares?

We watched episode 2 tonight.  It was better than the first.  Geralt still not being Geralty enough yet, but the writers are clearly taking their time building up the story.  I'm still interested, so far.

By the way, apparently Henry Cavill actively sought the role because he's a huge fan of the games!

airboy

My wife and I plan to watch it - sometime.  No hurry and lots of other things on the agenda including watching the last season and a half of Father Brown.

Gusington

I watched the first episode yesterday too. I enjoyed it and also enjoyed the battle scenes. I will watch more of it too. I don't get some of the harsh reviews it is getting, like from Entertainment Weekly, for example.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

jamus34

Watching it now while also reading one of the books.

I read somewhere that they are taking the storylines only from the books and ignoring the video games entirely. I wonder if that had to do with the rift between CDPR and Sapkowski that had been going on for years until very recently.

Overall I'm liking it so far.
Insert witty comment here.

Gusington

Also read online yesterday that CDProjekt renegotiated their contract with Sapowski and that a new Witcher game, not necessarily a 'Witcher 4,' may be in the works.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd

LoganismyHERO

I've dabbled with Witcher 3 on my PS4 but jeesub....does he grunt this much in the game/books?

Huw the Poo

Well we just watched episode 3 and wow!  Now we're cooking with gas!  Much, much better and an absolutely thrilling episode, with excellent direction too.  I was almost literally on the edge of my seat the whole time.

It's absolutely bizarre that a well-marketed TV show like this would assume a certain amount of world knowledge from its audience, which is what The Witcher appears to do.  Even being kind of familiar with the lore, I was definitely confused through episodes 1 and 2.  But hell, give me more like episode 3 and I'll be hooked to the end!