Gold Beach and On to Bayeux

Started by MengJiao, January 24, 2018, 10:11:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MengJiao

I thought I'd try landing at Gold Beach, something I haven't looked at very often.

bbmike

Landings with rounded corners go much, much smoother!  :hide:
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Barthheart

Don't listen to the heathen, the natural state of your counters is heart warming.  O0

That's always been a tough beach for me in various games.

MengJiao

Quote from: bbmike on January 25, 2018, 08:45:08 AM
Landings with rounded corners go much, much smoother!  :hide:

I like to think that each corner has a clipped counter-part somewhere in the world.  In the case of many games, Vassal is said to provide the clipped representation.

MengJiao

Quote from: Barthheart on January 25, 2018, 08:48:41 AM
Don't listen to the heathen, the natural state of your counters is heart warming.  O0

Of the five Normandy beaches, it seems to rank with Utah in terms of not being extra-ordinarily bloody (like Omaha or Juno) and not being absolutely jammed against an urbanized shoreline like Sword.  On the other hand, it has big waves and no battleships backing the landing.  I'm taking the option of bringing the DD tanks in on landing craft since the sea-state is likely to swamp them (as happened at Omaha).

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on January 25, 2018, 05:42:26 PM
Quote from: Barthheart on January 25, 2018, 08:48:41 AM

Of the five Normandy beaches, it seems to rank with Utah in terms of not being extra-ordinarily bloody (like Omaha or Juno) and not being absolutely jammed against an urbanized shoreline like Sword.  On the other hand, it has big waves and no battleships backing the landing.  I'm taking the option of bringing the DD tanks in on landing craft since the sea-state is likely to swamp them (as happened at Omaha).

End of 7am turn.  The beach is almost clear (two more Gaps to open).  The next wave (featuring commandos and bulldozers but no bicycles) is on the way in.

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on January 25, 2018, 07:45:08 PM

End of 7am turn.  The beach is almost clear (two more Gaps to open).  The next wave (featuring commandos and bulldozers but no bicycles) is on the way in.

Start of 11am turn.  As the Germans, I've learned to get back fast and set up some coordinated defenses.  Some kind of reinforcements will begin arriving in two hours so there's no point in getting wiped out in little bits (though some of that is inevitable) so as to make things easier for 50 Div, 8 armored and the Commandos.
   Meanwhile, its a pretty typical mid-morning for a Normandy beach (other than Omaha): there is still enemy fire hitting the beach, traffic jams on the exits and some columns pushing inland up to 2 kilometers or so.

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on January 26, 2018, 07:48:09 AM
Quote from: MengJiao on January 25, 2018, 07:45:08 PM

Start of 11am turn.  As the Germans, I've learned to get back fast and set up some coordinated defenses.  Some kind of reinforcements will begin arriving in two hours so there's no point in getting wiped out in little bits (though some of that is inevitable) so as to make things easier for 50 Div, 8 armored and the Commandos.
   Meanwhile, its a pretty typical mid-morning for a Normandy beach (other than Omaha): there is still enemy fire hitting the beach, traffic jams on the exits and some columns pushing inland up to 2 kilometers or so.

Start of 1pm Turn.  50 Div, the 8th Armored and the commandos are pouring ashore and are more delayed by their own columns than anything else.  A "random" event (bombing) has rubbled part of Bayeux (near the red KG Meyer lettering) and cruiser gunfire has obliterated a strongpoint and a shore defense battery.  The red squares are where historically KG Meyer was wiped out around 3pm after arriving south of Bayeux in the area marked KG Meyer at 1pm.  Naturally, I will try to guide KG Meyer on a less abruptly terminated journey.

MengJiao

So about 2pm.  The Germans have had more chances to move their formations and have gotten some kind of fields of fire or positions covering most of the roads heading south from the beach.  50 Div has yet to get its divisional move, but it looks like KG Meyer won't be wiped out any time soon.

bayonetbrant

Sounds like a tough afternoon for the allies
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

MengJiao

Quote from: bayonetbrant on February 08, 2018, 08:10:49 PM

Historically, the Germans fell apart almost completely on this part of the front for a day or two.  Once the Americans got moving beyond Omaha beach, they moved quickly, especially just to the west of Bayeux and on to Caumont.  But if KG Meyer doesn't get wiped out, it may indeed be a tough afternoon for 50 Div.

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on February 08, 2018, 10:14:57 PM
Quote from: bayonetbrant on February 08, 2018, 08:10:49 PM

Historically, the Germans fell apart almost completely on this part of the front for a day or two.  Once the Americans got moving beyond Omaha beach, they moved quickly, especially just to the west of Bayeux and on to Caumont.  But if KG Meyer doesn't get wiped out, it may indeed be a tough afternoon for 50 Div.

5pm -- Three brigades and the commandos are off the beach.  Another Brigade is coming in.  The British Army appears to have enveloped the Arthurian stone (La Pierre Artus) in a lump of bocage.  Success! The Germans have nothing but a lot of bicycle troops to hold most of the area.

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on March 01, 2018, 09:52:49 PM

5pm -- Three brigades and the commandos are off the beach.  Another Brigade is coming in.  The British Army appears to have enveloped the Arthurian stone (La Pierre Artus) in a lump of bocage.  Success! The Germans have nothing but a lot of bicycle troops to hold most of the area.

7pm 231 Bde is having a hard time clearing the strongpoints west of the beach.  151 Bde has just gotten ashore and started marching inland.  69 Bde made a bloody crossing against the 716 div rearguards and the commandos have apprehended the osttruppen while the armored Bde is pushing inland.

MengJiao

Quote from: MengJiao on March 07, 2018, 07:01:43 PM
Quote from: MengJiao on March 01, 2018, 09:52:49 PM

7pm 231 Bde is having a hard time clearing the strongpoints west of the beach.  151 Bde has just gotten ashore and started marching inland.  69 Bde made a bloody crossing against the 716 div rearguards and the commandos have apprehended the osttruppen while the armored Bde is pushing inland.

A little after 7pm.  KG K didn't got pulled last so it is first in this time period rather than last in the other.  KG K takes the opportunity to reposition its horse-drawn guns and attached artillery while putting up a screen of rearguards and troops in bocage.  This will force the 50th Division to spend the command points to put together a brigade-sized attack rather than trying to overrun KG K with one mechanized battalion.