Dominions 5- Warriors of the Faith

Started by Moreb, September 12, 2017, 12:46:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moreb

http://www.illwinter.com/dom5/

QuoteDominions 5 development has been going on for quite a while now and the game is getting close to finished. If everything goes according to plan, the game will be released on Steam at the beginning of November

Some very interesting additions. Looks like I picked a good time to get into the game. If the price is right I may just switch right over
Real time combat

QuoteDominion overlay on map to clearly show its boundaries
When dongles fly? - mirth

bbmike

Wow! I should have played 4. Or 3.  :-[
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Jarhead0331

Would be nice to see a total graphics overhaul, but I guess that won't come until Dominions 12: The Afterbirth.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Rayfer

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on September 12, 2017, 05:57:51 AM
Would be nice to see a total graphics overhaul, but I guess that won't come until Dominions 12: The Afterbirth.

:DD

JasonPratt

ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Gusington

Have always been curious about this series but I could never decide if its complexity and primitive graphics were worth the time to learn it.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Barthheart

Quote from: Gusington on September 12, 2017, 08:03:10 AM
Have always been curious about this series but I could never decide if its complexity and primitive graphics were worth the time to learn it.

+1.....  ???

jamus34

Graphics are functional. Not playing the game because "it doesn't look prettty enough" is only doing yourself a disservice. The Dominions games (and their little brother Conquest of Elysium) are great games with more layers than an onion.

Or to put it another way imagine if master of magic grew up and decided to put on the big boy pants.
Insert witty comment here.

Jarhead0331

Quote from: jamus34 on September 12, 2017, 08:58:30 AM
Graphics are functional. Not playing the game because "it doesn't look prettty enough" is only doing yourself a disservice. The Dominions games (and their little brother Conquest of Elysium) are great games with more layers than an onion.

Or to put it another way imagine if master of magic grew up and decided to put on the big boy pants.

I agree. Just saying, "it would be nice..."
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

airboy

Quote from: Gusington on September 12, 2017, 08:03:10 AM

There is a significant time commitment to learn the system, even playing against the AI.  The time commitment to learn the game well enough to survive in multiplayer - ask Jason Pratt about that!

Barthheart

Quote from: jamus34 on September 12, 2017, 08:58:30 AM

I hear you... but so many other great games to play something must be the decider on what to start learning and for me it's the graphics that keep me out of this one.
I can't even go back to other well loved games because of the graphics and I hate new games the "8 bit" look.  :P

Nefaro

Yay!  The random map generator is getting visual improvements, among other things.   :clap:

I actually like the pixel art creatures & such.  But the random map generator's campaign map graphics have been pretty fugly. 

Will have to grok some of the changes in the nuts & bolts sometime ~~>

Gusington

I hear what you guys are saying about the graphics but what Bart said above really resonates too. If I want my fantasy/strategery mix why would I play Dominions over Warhammer TW or Age of Wonders?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

ghostryder

Dominions IV was basically a map upgrade while at the same time leaving out a great deal that was in Dominions 3---I bought 4 but content wise--including map downloads- IV never did catch up. It really got no CBM either.

This just seems once again a repeat. What the game really needs is a graphic upgrade. And not just map wise. it doesn't have the friendliest GUI either.

People call the game complex---I don't think it's complex at all as far as play goes--it's rather simple. you choices as far as setting up your God etc have tons of options-and this is really where the complexity lies---which again I'll note quite more dominions and races in III. DomIV brought eras (3) with fewer races/Gods and a new victory condition. All eras do really is adjust magic power-- so it isn't really races x 3 as it looks on paper---it's more like certain races do better in low magic games and others worse and vice versa. That's not really adding depth but rather setup options.

DonIII then-especially with CBM (community based mod) gives you far more complex starting options and much larger strategic game. IV was a simplification more than anything---with a couple nice features and GUI tweaks---for instance you can Que Gods to build units automatically every turn--- that kind of thing. Adding a new ascencion victory much like adding a new victory condition to a Civ game - I found not particularly well balanced. Much like HOMIII follow ups try to shake things up a bit but none have topped III in either series.

The next two changes--tweaking the random map generator doesn't excite me much as the best maps are hand made. this has always been the case in the series and i seriously doubt regardless of tweaks the generator just will never output a map approaching hand made custom maps.

the RTS addition to me will be the game killer. The game at it's core is designed for turn based play and turned base combat. All those stats and spells with their corresponding numbers need to be learned and tracked. It is the heart of the game. It is the area a player must learn and build upon. That is far easier when a turn of an attack goes against units with set numbers one can easily see and read and it's counter attack and each turn the same is true. You need this to determine when to fire spells or arrows. etc. It is the minimal strategic choices offered,  RTS is going to make all that a murky mishmash. I really do not think that is worth the so called "quicker" battles. on the contrary i think it works against the title. Battles here are not hour affairs of a total war game. They play out time wise very reasonably. More than HOMMIII as a comparison. I'm quite dumbfounded the devs even thought it up and even moreso went with the idea. They're throwing out what tactical decisions the player ever had.

Instead of trying to fix what ain't broke I wish the devs would put their efforts in visual resources. That is the area the game suffers the most. This doesn't need to be total war stuff-- but I think the sprites can be made far better so you can tell a pikeman from a swordsman or a bowman---because right now you really can't- that's how poor they are. So in contrast to what everyone says about 'functional graphics' I say they are not nor ever have been. Clicking units to find out what they are should not be a routine the player falls into but that is exactly what you end up doing. And that's more of a time waster that a battle or queing units on a turn.

I also think such an investment would increase sales 10 fold---Dom has been around ages and the number one reason I always read why players don't give the series a try is the eye soar. It's not 1990 anymore---hasn't been for 25 years---and the excuses given to avoid this just get weaker as the years go by.

FarAway Sooner