Dominions 5- Warriors of the Faith

Started by Moreb, September 12, 2017, 12:46:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sum1won

Quote from: Moreb on September 15, 2017, 01:31:50 PM
Maybe Simultaneous Turn Resolution is more appropriate?  I am continuing to get my feet wet with dominions 4. People talk about it's dated Graphics a lot and while I cannot disagree, I have a ton of current new releases with bleeding edge graphics. What I'm looking for, and I think dominions provides, is a deep and rich fantasy strategy game.

Just for my consumption, what other games offer as deep of play but with better graphics? Are there any examples I may look at?
Eador: Masters of a Broken World is reputedly "deep," though somewhat broken.  Supposedly Eador: Imperium fixes some of the issues.

Simultaneous resolution was what I suggested it be changed to.  Of course, it does clarify later in the website that "The battles are still fully automatic and player input comes from army setup and initial orders as usual" but I imagine that this could still cause confusion, especially if people don't read that far.

ghostryder

That change would probably work. Anything would be better than Real time-- that suggests there's no turns at all.

Mentioning Masters of a Broken Sword---one might want to go back to the title it is based on--Eador:Genesis. It doesn't have all the additional units, etc but the simpler layout allows the pace of the game to be better- probably the one area Broken sword suffers the most. It's a genius design but it takes forever to get into the heart of the game. There were bugs also never quite squashed--many crash related. I haven't tinkered at all with Imperium at all.

bbmike

Quote from: ghostryder on September 15, 2017, 05:42:46 PM
That change would probably work. Anything would be better than Real time-- that suggests there's no turns at all.

+1
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

ghostryder

Speaking of Eador The Broken sword looks like the problems mounted to the point the funding was pulled and the team is no more:

http://snowbirdgames.com/blog/?p=2650

Gusington

How does everyone like the latest Master of Magic?

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

ghostryder

If that's Worlds of Magic your asking about-- no don't bother. If it doesn't crash on you first your likely quite anyway by the frustrating burden of managing your empire because the GUI is pretty much FUBAR. By all accounts the title is abandoned as well and basically are now on Planar Conquest -- basically the same game...new title to skirt the bad press- but the same issues persist.

Moreb

Was this the game that was made by the guy that did Storm Over the Pacific  and others that used to release his titles at Matrix?

For the life of me I can't remember his name.
When dongles fly? - mirth

bbmike

Quote from: ghostryder on September 16, 2017, 01:56:02 PM
If that's Worlds of Magic your asking about-- no don't bother. If it doesn't crash on you first your likely quite anyway by the frustrating burden of managing your empire because the GUI is pretty much FUBAR. By all accounts the title is abandoned as well and basically are now on Planar Conquest -- basically the same game...new title to skirt the bad press- but the same issues persist.

What are the problems with Planar Conquest? I played it a little and haven't encountered any problems yet. Are there late game issues?
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

Gusington

GR you mentioned that Worlds of Magic is a Master of Magic clone above so I wanted to know what people thought of whatever the latest Master of Magic game is, since I never played any game in the series.

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Moreb

Elemental: Fallen Enchantress actually looks like it could have potential but falls short. The other two arent my cup of tea whiskey. Never been a fan of the TW series and CK is like The Dating Game to me. I tried. I really did.

My problem, and it's a doozy, is sometimes I think I like the idea of playing games more than actually doing so. I read manuals. I watch videos. Read forums. Fiddle with the game. Rinse and repeat.

Its a vicious cycle.
When dongles fly? - mirth

ghostryder

Quote from: bbmike on September 16, 2017, 02:33:43 PM

What are the problems with Planar Conquest? I played it a little and haven't encountered any problems yet. Are there late game issues?

Lots of issues. The GUI is still pretty bad but it's the technical issues- and the A.I. that really kill it. The A.I. cannot use the spells available to it--I seriously doubt the A.I. is even coded for them to use them--and it just sends trash mobs and you get into a rut where you must fight countless encounters--because if you don't the autoresolve- being also FUBAR- will likely have you lose. The GUI is still but a list so at best you can only see partial lists of unit enhancements---while the rest of the gaming world uses right clicks for info these devs are totally unaware GUI's can actually display information this way. Quite honestly even the 1996 title was better at presenting information. You just cannot complete a game while wrestling with it. The problems just mount the more you try to expand.

And God are there bugs? Plenty. Not to mention balance issues - the list of headache inducing problems that would make Derek Smart look like Sid Meir.

Wolfe1759

In my experience Wasteland Interactive (the developers) have done this with all of their games (Road to Victory - Time of Wrath - Time of Fury - Strategic War in Europe being an example), release a game, patch it a bit, abandon it, release it again under a new name, patch it a bit, abandon it etc. etc. Avoid at any cost, even if free.
"In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill." - Winston Churchill

ghostryder

What's even more funny is visiting their website:

http://wastelands-interactive.com/

ENTER THE WORLD OF AWESOMENESS!

Then for giggles look under services. These guys do it all!

JasonPratt

Gus, the best spiritual successor to MoM (there are no true sequels, although the Civ series offered a sort of quasi-sequel mode some time back) is arguably still Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic, especially with some mod upgrades. AoW3, with its two DLC, does look better, and does add back the unit squads to combat that the remakes (including earlier AoW games) have been lacking, but something about it still feels off to me. Don't know why yet. AoW3 also removed one of the extra map layers randomly generated.

Dominions has only ever been superficially similar to MoM in basic conception. Its gameplay ends up being very different in practice, and in some ways is less complex than any of MoM and its heirs (specifically in city/province building, and loses some complexity in combat although it adds some depth back in other ways.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Gusington

Ok - AoW3 I enjoyed for about 25 hours. Never played MoM though, any version.

слава Україна!

-JudgeDredd