Main Menu

New PC Build

Started by OJsDad, July 30, 2017, 04:21:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OJsDad

Been thinking about building a new PC.  The current one is 8 years old and starting to struggle with some of the newer games and graphics.  Ok, lets be honest, I just want a new rig.  For what I usually play, what I want to build is probably going to be a bit of over kill.  However, it'll need to last 8-10 years.

The games I mostly play are Paradox/Matrix games, though of late I've been playing quite a bit of 7 Days to Die.  I may actually dip my big toe into Total War. 

I've always been more of a fan of AMD than Intel.  Nothing against Intel, just like to support the underdog.  I do know with the crypto miners having driven up the cost of the upper mid video cards, it's tempting to spend a few more bucks and get an NVIDIA 1070.  However, if I can get an RX580 for under $400, that's the way I want to go.

So, here's what I'm looking at.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700X.  3.4ghz  https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113429      $339
MOBO:  MSI X370 gaming Pro Carbon    https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813144017    $169
RAM:  G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16gb DDR4    https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231888       $119
Video Card:   MSI Radeon RX 580 8gb. (I currently have an XFX card that I like.  If I can get an RX580 fro XFX I will)  https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIAAM161W6004         $449
Case:   Cougar Panzer Full Tower.  (Why, because a grog needs a case called Panzer  >:D)    https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811553024    $139
SDD:   WD Blue M.2 500gb  (My first computer had a tape drive :o.  This thing's a small card)    https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820250083         $174
OS:   Win10 Pro 64bit.  (Not sure if Pro is necessary.  May go back to Home).      $139
CPU Cooling:   Fractal Design Celsius S36 CPU Liguid/Water Cooler.    https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835352030     $119
PSU:   Cougar CMX700V3  700W   https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817553024    $79.
Logitech wireless keyboard and mouse MK520    https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823126192     $34
LG WH14NS40 Blue-Ray   https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA3V634N3750     $79

Total $1,853. 

I'm still playing around with the design, so may change some.  What am I missing. 

'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

jamus34

Case - Your commitment to Grogdom is commendable but don't make the choice based on that. You can do better with a Fractal / Corsair / NZXT case I think. But I also do not care for bling so I like my BBB's (Big Black Boxes).

Vid card - If your diehard AMD then there isn't much to persuade but dollar for dollar Nvidia will get you better specs. Save $50 on the case and grab a GTX 1080. With the upward push on prices do not get the 1070 - It's not worth it over $400 just pony up for the 1080.

CPU - unless you do a lot that requires multiple cores (mostly editing of video / audio / photos) there's not a whole lot of reason to push 8 cores. Most games will top out at 4 I think. Most of the Matrix lineup will probably top out using 2.

SSD - my suggest at that price point is to get a 480 GB Mydigitalssd GPX from Amazon. Don't know much about WD SSD's but typically I trust memory makes on SSD drives more than a plate drive maker.

Anyway, just some thoughts on your build. Think you could step down the CPU / Mobo and step up the GPU and be in better shape.
Insert witty comment here.

OJsDad

Jamus, thanks for the input.  I've been playing with the config since I've posted originally, so any thoughts are welcome. 

For the CPU, are you thinking a quad core or six core.  I'm thinking the six core will save me some money but give me some future proofing.  Of course, if I get a mobo that is AM4, I should be good to go for quite awhile. 
'Here at NASA we all pee the same color.'  Al Harrison from the movie Hidden Figures.

jamus34

Quote from: OJsDad on August 03, 2017, 06:46:08 PM
Jamus, thanks for the input.  I've been playing with the config since I've posted originally, so any thoughts are welcome. 

For the CPU, are you thinking a quad core or six core.  I'm thinking the six core will save me some money but give me some future proofing.  Of course, if I get a mobo that is AM4, I should be good to go for quite awhile.

Really even quad core is probably ok. For games clock speed is usually more important than # of cores.

I will admit I do not know much about the Ryzen line. I've been an Intel guy most of my life. I still think the above holds true though.

Agreed that typically AMD doesn't change their chip socket architecture that frequently so you could always go a little lower here, let them perfect the Ryzan core and upgrade in a year or two.

OJsDad

Well, I pulled the trigger yesterday and got the parts to build a new system (damn you Micro Center and your in store 18 month same as cash card).

Jamus, thanks for your input. 

Here's what I ended up with;

CPU          Ryzen 5 1600X
MOBO       ASUS Crosshair VI Hero
GPU         EVGA GTX 1080 FTW 8GB Hybrid (took you advice Jamus)
RAM         Corsair 16gb 2x8 D4 3200
Cooling     Corsair H110i Liquid Cooler
Case        Corsair 760T
PSU         EVGA Supernova 650
SSD         Samsung 1TB 960EVO NVME M.2
A Blue Ray/DVD Burner
Window 10 Pro.

Now I just have to put it all together. 

OJsDad

So, I'm moving along, putting my PC together, and I run into two problems.  Before I get into them, I'm not blaming any manufacturer. 

First, the motherboard I got has three connections for power.  One is the standard 24 pin connection.  Then it has two connections for the CPU, one an 8 pin and the other a 4 pin.  The CPU cable that came with my PSU has only two 4 pin connections.

Second, the video card I have has two 8 pin power connections.  The two cabled for providing power from the PSU to the VC are only has 8 and 6 pin connections on each cable. 

I've been working EVGA support and they're getting me the correct cables.

One other issue I ran into.  The motherboard only has one USB 2 connection.  The liquid cooler I got for my CPU needs it.  Therefore, there is no where to pug in the USB 2.0 ports on the front of the case.  I had no problem with the USB 3.0 ports being connected to the motherboard. 

Nefaro

The drop in PSU connector universality has become an issue lately.  After both GPUs and CPUs started requiring more than one plug, and mixed with the different 4, 6, and 8-pin requirements.

Some of the nice PSUs come with a modular connector system, with a bunch of different connector sections that plug in to any of the generic lines running out of the PSU.  But the costs are higher, of course, and you'll have numerous cables which you won't end up needing.

OJsDad

I do have a modular PSU, just didn't come with the cables I needed.

Barthheart

Quote from: OJsDad on August 30, 2017, 11:19:13 AM
So, I'm moving along, putting my PC together, and I run into two problems.  Before I get into them, I'm not blaming any manufacturer. 

First, the motherboard I got has three connections for power.  One is the standard 24 pin connection.  Then it has two connections for the CPU, one an 8 pin and the other a 4 pin.  The CPU cable that came with my PSU has only two 4 pin connections.

Second, the video card I have has two 8 pin power connections.  The two cabled for providing power from the PSU to the VC are only has 8 and 6 pin connections on each cable. 

I've been working EVGA support and they're getting me the correct cables.

One other issue I ran into.  The motherboard only has one USB 2 connection.  The liquid cooler I got for my CPU needs it.  Therefore, there is no where to pug in the USB 2.0 ports on the front of the case.  I had no problem with the USB 3.0 ports being connected to the motherboard.

See... that's easily worth $100 to not have to dick around with that crap.

OJsDad

I agree BH.  I just wasn't seeing anything prebuilt that I was in love with. 

I'm not frustrated, just, disappointed that I cannot fire this new PC up yet.  I look at it as a good lesson.  Having not done this in 8 years, I'm learning about the current growing pains in the industry.  Something that I wouldn't have paid any attention to before. 

As long as it's ready for Southern Nights Storm, I'll be happy.

mirth

Quote from: OJsDad on August 30, 2017, 12:23:16 PM
As long as it's ready for Southern Nights Storm, I'll be happy.

It is has become impossible for me to think of Southern Storm without also thinking of this  ;D

"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

jamus34

Wow sorry for your troubles OJ.

The mobo power I could see being an issue, guess you need a "ready for Ryzen" PSU.

The not having enough cables to power the vid card is inexcusable. Any modern psu from a known brand over 600 watts should easily be able to power a 1080.

Well good luck and hope you get to fire it up soon!

OJsDad

Got the power problems sorted out yesterday and got power to the system.  Most of the issues were my fault.

1.  A different support tech engineer picked up my ticket with EVGA.  I had included a link to the online manual for my motherboard.  Her response was that the power supply I had purchased would not support the motherboards need for 2 CPU connections.  I needed to upgrade to a 750 watt unit, since those units have to CPU connections on them.  The cables that come with the PSU would work for what I needed.

2.  Given what she said I needed for the motherboard, I asked if I needed to run power connection from both VGA1 and VGA2 to the video card.  Her response was that yes, that's what I needed to do.  Not sure why the first tech on the case didn't say that from the beginning.  I would have to have gotten the bigger power supply for the motherboard connections.

I'm kind of disappointed the sales guy at Microcenter for not picking up on the power needs for the motherboard.  On the other hand, there's such a wide variety of motherboards, I'm sure it's had from them to know what each one needed. 

So, now, I'm flashing the BIOS and getting ready to install the OS.