Greatest Films According To Grogs: 1980 Championship

Started by BanzaiCat, February 24, 2018, 11:51:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BanzaiCat

Here it is, the 1980 Film Championship.

On the one hand, you have The Empire Strikes Back, which I figured would run away with the title. As Staggerwing noted in his post in the 1980 Final Four thread, it seemed like The Blues Brothers might have stood a chance - and in fact, when he posted that, it was leading by a slim margin! But it wasn't to be; the powerhouse Star Wars film makes it to the championship.

On the other hand, you have Airplane!, which ran away with all 15 votes cast in the 1980 Final Four. Stir Crazy didn't garner one vote, which is very surprising considering how it made it as far as it did. Regardless, both are excellent films. I figured Airplane! would make it here from the last round, but the fact that Stir Crazy didn't get even one vote, well...shows you that Airplane! is truly a comedy for the ages.

So, with that in mind, here's your 1980 Championship!

BRACKET ONE: 1 vs 3

1. The Empire Strikes Back

3. Airplane!

Barthheart

I'm off line for one weekend and you knot heads screw up The Blues Brothers winning this!?!  :idiot2:

bayonetbrant

Quote from: Barthheart on February 26, 2018, 11:16:30 AM
I'm off line for one weekend and you knot heads screw up The Blues Brothers winning this!?!  :idiot2:

so clearly, this is all your fault
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

Barthheart

mirth

It's nice that the outcome of the movie polls are just as redonkulous as the music polls  :crazy2:
"45 minutes of pooping Tribbles being juggled by a drunken Horta would be better than Season 1 of TNG." - SirAndrewD

"you don't look at the mantelpiece when you're poking the fire" - Bawb

"Can't 'un' until you 'pre', son." - Gus

Barthheart

bbmike

Quote from: mirth on February 26, 2018, 02:16:20 PM
It's nice that the outcome of the movie polls are just as redonkulous as the music polls  :crazy2:

I had the same though.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak