Decisions, decisions....

Started by steve58, July 31, 2019, 04:16:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steve58

Just got my Matrixgames 15 Year Anniversary coupon.  50% off!  :bd:  Thanks MG!

30 days to decide.  Looking at these guys so far:

• Field of Glory: Empires
  • Strategic Command WWII: World at War
  • Strategic Command WWII: War in Europe
  • Afghanistan '11
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Tripoli

Quote from: steve58 on July 31, 2019, 04:16:02 PM

• Afghanistan '11

IMHO, the ability to prioritize is over-rated.  Get them all.... :)
"Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?" -Abraham Lincoln

-budd-

^^^
What he said. Why stress yourself with the choice, 50% off total purchase O0
Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must.  ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Be Yourself; Everyone Else is Taken ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

JasonPratt

• Afghanistan '11

Yes. But be aware that while Af'11 has a great tutorial (tracing the history of Afghan War ops) seguing into the campaign, in principle; in practice the tutorials are a little broken in that it's possible to break the tutorial missions and have to restart them.

Keeping that in mind, buy with confidence. (I have no experience with SCWW2:WaW, but other people whose opinion I respect seem to like it. I have trouble with no stackable hexes at that scale; it's a little less onerous at the War In Europe scale, but still gnashy. It does help that there are different sized groups represented by single counters, in some cases.)
ICEBREAKER THESIS CHRONOLOGY! -- Victor Suvorov's Stalin Grand Strategy theory, in lots and lots of chronological order...
Dawn of Armageddon -- narrative AAR for Dawn of War: Soulstorm: Ultimate Apocalypse
Survive Harder! -- Two season narrative AAR, an Amazon Blood Bowl career.
PanzOrc Corpz Generals -- Fantasy Wars narrative AAR, half a combined campaign.
Khazâd du-bekâr! -- narrative dwarf AAR for LotR BfME2 RotWK campaign.
RobO Q Campaign Generator -- archived classic CMBB/CMAK tool!

Geezer

FWIW I didn't care for the naval mechanics in SC:WaW at all.  Ships could attack from long distances and then sail back out of range with no chance to intercept them.
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.  George Bernard Shaw

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

Rayfer

Quote from: Geezer on July 31, 2019, 06:10:14 PM
FWIW I didn't care for the naval mechanics in SC:WaW at all.  Ships could attack from long distances and then sail back out of range with no chance to intercept them.

Couldn't agree more...it was a game killer for me in SC: War in Europe so I never bothered with SC: World at War.  The naval game is just awful.

steve58

Thanks for the feedback guys.  Sounds like the naval game play in the Strategic Command games would kill them for me as well.  Also thanks for the reminder that the the coupon works on multiple games in a cart.  That could be good news for me, but bad news for my wallet :-\
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

W8taminute

"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Gusington

слава Україна!

We can't live under the threat of a c*nt because he's threatening nuclear Armageddon.

-JudgeDredd

W8taminute

"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Huw the Poo

Quote from: W8taminute on August 01, 2019, 02:30:51 PM
Who down with FoGE?

8)

It's a question of when, not if, for me.  But will probably have to wait a couple of weeks.

MC

• Afghanistan '11

I'm in the same predicament. I got my Matrixgames 15 Year Anniversary coupon about the same time as you. Coincidentally, my list is almost the same as yours. Just replace Afghanistan '11 with Armored Brigade and we match up.

What to do, what to do..............

I'm not sure, but the Empires Giveaway thread may still be active. You get a chance for a freebie and that beats 50% off.  :bd:

al_infierno

Of the games listed so far, Field of Glory: Empires and Armored Brigade are my personal favorites.  Both games are relatively easy to jump into if you have experience with other similar games, but also quite deep and unique and take a lot of time to master.

@MC, if you do go with Armored Brigade, keep a couple things in mind:

1. You can place deactivated waypoints to mitigate command delay.  There is no command delay for activating a deactivated waypoint, just for placing the waypoint in the first place.

2. Currently, there is no unit stacking, so on maps with one-tile chokepoints (like narrow bridges) it can be easy to get your units clogged up and bog down whatever plan you had.  Be prepared to work around this by sending 1 unit through a narrow chokepoint at a time.  (As an aside, the dev is apparently working on implementing 3-unit stacking per-tile.)

3. Most importantly, try not to micro-manage your squads too much.  Stick with giving orders at the platoon/company level and you'll mostly be fine.  Occasionally you might want to move a squad to a better building or away from artillery or something, but with command delay it's inefficient to give out on-the-fly orders to individual squads.
A War of a Madman's Making - a text-based war planning and political survival RPG

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge.  War endures.  As well ask men what they think of stone.  War was always here.  Before man was, war waited for him.  The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner.  That is the way it was and will be.  That way and not some other way.
- Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian

If they made nothing but WWII games, I'd be perfectly content.  Hypothetical matchups from alternate history 1980s, asymmetrical US-bashes-some-3rd world guerillas, or minor wars between Upper Bumblescum and outer Kaboomistan hold no appeal for me.
- Silent Disapproval Robot

I guess it's sort of nice that the word "tactical" seems to refer to some kind of seriousness during your moments of mental clarity.
- MengJiao

MC

Only one day left to decide. Strongly leaning towards Armored Brigade.  :-\