No Man's Sky - Too good to be true?

Started by Jarhead0331, June 17, 2015, 09:12:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jomni

How to make big bucks.
http://www.businessinsider.sg/how-to-make-money-in-no-mans-sky-2016-8/?r=US&IR=T#1poecRWbyK8xTD5m.97

Is there a place to see the discoveries of all players?

jomni

Things are getting interesting.  I am now in a very hostile planet.  The bots will engage you at will even if you're not doing anything bad like destroying the environment.
The planet is littered with Gravi balls which earns good money when sold but it calls an elite sentry each time you pick one up.
There are little hostile critters that bite you.
And there are frequent storms which make things very cold.

I found a crashed ship.  It's worth fixing.  I will make this my immediate goal for now.

Pete Dero

Jarhead0331

The game can be fun. It is certainly addictive. Viewing NMS in a vacuum without all the hype, without any expectations and without considering its long five year development cycle, I think the game succeeds. However, when looking at all that seems to have been promised, its hard not to consider the game as a complete fraud.

There is just nothing really ground-breaking about it and not really anything in it that has not been done before, and done better, too.

Yes, the universe has 18 quintillion planets (or at least they claim it does). Yes, the universe is seamless and has procedural generation. But really, who cares? Nobody is EVER going to visit all of those worlds, and quite frankly, I'll be surprised if more than handful of players would actually care to try. There just does not seem to be the level of randomization that I would expect. Sure, native animals are somewhat different, but they all use the same exact body parts, they are just placed in different locations. Furthermore, the plants and geography of the planets vary, but I do feel like once you've been to a few worlds, you're not going to see anything on any other planet that is going to wow you, or truly be unique. Finally, every planet has the same installations, scattered buildings and alien facilities, that are either vacant, or populated by a single being who just stands there providing the player with a single interaction. You will never see these NPCs moving about the world, they are utterly and completely static. In space stations, all the ships that dock within a particular class are exactly the same. Each pilot looks the same, has the same name and every ship carries the same payload and cargo. There is absolutely no randomization here. There is just not the kind of variety I would expect in the universe. 

Also, the UI is woefully inadequate and unimaginative. Most egregiously, the star map SUCKS. It is completely unwieldy and useless. It is impossible to find specific systems, extremely difficult to track your progress and provides little information on where you have been or where you may want to be going. In space, or planetary navigation is non-existent. There is no in-flight map, no way of marking locations, or setting specific destinations. It is pointless having a universe so vast, with so many places to go, if it is impossible to get anywhere through anything other than chance and serendipity. Very frustrating.

I hear there are plans to implement a building system so it will be possible for the player to construct bases on planets. They better add a system of being able to locate these player build facilities or else it will all be completely pointless. Why would anybody spend the time building something useful if once they leave, there will be little chance of ever getting back?

There are some blatant, inexplicable omissions from this game. There are many. That is why I find it hard to commend this game as an accomplishment when looking at what it was claimed to be, and seeing what it actually is. In some respects...epic failure.

I will continue to play for awhile and it is something that I will most likely keep on my HD (afterall, it only takes up 3 gigs). I also hope it will be supported and expanded upon, but really, since release date, not a single patch or hotfix has been released. Not very encouraging.  I guess the team is busy living high off the hog at the moment...can't say I blame them. Might as well spend and get really drunk before having to face the reality of missed opportunity and failed expectation.

So I started this thread with a question.."too good to be true?" I am supremely confident in the answer. Yes...YES! The promise of NMS was definitely too good to be true.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

Grimnirsson

QuoteI also hope it will be supported and expanded upon, but really, since release date, not a single patch or hotfix has been released. Not very encouraging.  I guess the team is busy living high off the hog at the moment...can't say I blame them.

Something is at the horizon:

No Man's Sky Dev Says Upcoming Patch Will Make Players 'Very Happy'

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/tech/gaming/537967/No-Mans-Sky-Updates-DLC-Paid-Xbox-One-release-PC-PS4-Review-Best-Deals

Homefront Wargame Center - supporting our hobby!

www.homefrontcenter.de

Capn Darwin

Some mods are out and some of them are very cool. Go here to check them out: http://nomansskymods.com/

I grabbed Fast Actions (gets rid the delayed key press), Holo Icons (some cool scanner icons), and Internal Resolution Multipliers (fixes for the down sized resolution the game uses - I am using the one from his set resolutions to match my native resolution and the game does look much better and the FPS is the same, on my outdated rig).

There are others on the site that do other things for the UI, graphics, and game play. Check them out if you are enjoying the game.

Rocket Scientist by day, Game Designer by night.

sandman2575

One thing I don't get about NMS's ginormous universe -- I read somewhere that our Sun would literally burn out before a player could visit each planet for 1 second ( :o) -- are reports that it's not uncommon to find planets that other players have already discovered. How is that possible? I thought your starting position was completely randomized (not like E:D where everyone starts in the same system) - ?

I'm no probability expert, but seems to me that in a universe with over a million billion planets, the odds of winding up somewhere that another player has already visited should be infintesimally small, if not essentially impossible?

EDIT -- Sean Murray seemed to confirm this, or something's just unclear to me here --
https://twitter.com/NoMansSky/status/762689080245252096

Ian C

QuoteAlready, Murray has teased fans by suggesting that the games next update would add " the ability to build bases and own giant space freighters"

Now this is more like it. It seems a perfect solid base to build upon to expand the exploration/entrepreneurial themes.

Jarhead0331

Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

sandman2575

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on August 17, 2016, 03:01:39 PM
Good article...

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/08/17/broken-promises-of-no-mans-sky/#more-390347

Wow. Even more damning than the article is the Reddit thread it links to, listing all the things that never made it into / got stripped from the final release.

jomni

Quote from: Jarhead0331 on August 17, 2016, 12:13:13 PM
The game can be fun. It is certainly addictive. Viewing NMS in a vacuum without all the hype, without any expectations and without considering its long five year development cycle, I think the game succeeds. However, when looking at all that seems to have been promised, its hard not to consider the game as a complete fraud.

That's right.  I never bought into the hype.  Never followed the developer's press releases and articles. 
I just bought this out of curiosity and I'm delighted.

There are too many broken promises and they marketed the thing to be more than what it actually is.  They kept things vague and let people imagine things out.

Capn Darwin

The game still has entertainment value, but maybe not as much as it did looking at what has fallen out. Same thing happened with Spore. All the early footage looked great, real physics, had to make good creatures so they would survive, etc.. Then marketing and publishers get in and do their testing and all of a sudden the final products are dumbed down so every player can "win" even with the dumbest designs. I think the same thing happened here. I think the powers that be saw the early testing results. Saw it took some IQ to do right and decided it needed dumbing down so everyone could "win" even if they did the dumbest stuff. All I hope is that over time many of those "lost" elements will find there way back into the game either from the Devs or from the Modders. I'm just glad most wargames don't work this way.  O0
Rocket Scientist by day, Game Designer by night.

panzerde

Quote from: Capn Darwin on August 17, 2016, 06:00:36 PM
I'm just glad most wargames don't work this way.  O0

+1 QFT. Gods save me from a world where everyone gets a participation ribbon!

"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

jomni

Quote from: Capn Darwin on August 17, 2016, 06:00:36 PM
I think the powers that be saw the early testing results. Saw it took some IQ to do right and decided it needed dumbing down so everyone could "win" even if they did the dumbest stuff.

I have died 4 times already.  How can you say everyone can win. :)

There seems to be puzzle solving tests to unlock the comms terminal.

Rayfer

Quote from: sandman2575 on August 17, 2016, 03:18:05 PM
Quote from: Jarhead0331 on August 17, 2016, 03:01:39 PM
Good article...

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/08/17/broken-promises-of-no-mans-sky/#more-390347

Wow. Even more damning than the article is the Reddit thread it links to, listing all the things that never made it into / got stripped from the final release.

And this is why I don't buy new, full priced games when released (also can't afford to).....I rely on grogs like JH and others who post excellent reviews detailing the goods and the positives and negatives of a game.