Children of a Dead Earth

Started by Jarhead0331, September 23, 2016, 12:09:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

panzerde

Quote from: Pinetree on September 29, 2016, 04:43:18 AM
Just finished the 3rd mission, managed to get a silver on my first try. I used nearly half my delta-v to match orbits and then launched 20 drones so they would intercept the enemy about 2 hours from main intercept. They went in fast and took out the coilgun and some radiators, I'd actually forgotten to aim them so it was a good result. Seeing that, I launched my last 5 drones using high delt-v and targeted them on the remaining radiators. They managed to knock them all out and cook the crew. I didn't even have to engage with the carrier. Very quick and brutal combat. It's going to very interesting when I get an enemy with lots of delta-v to play with as well.

Brilliant, brilliant game.

This was pretty much how it went for me, too. I actually launched all of my drones and didn't have to make a second run. Their fire just peeled away anything that was on the outside of the enemy hull in about five seconds.

This game really illustrated the "glass cannon" concept.

"This damned Bonaparte is going to get us all killed" - Jean Lannes, 1809

Castellan -  La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

Hofstadter

My wargaming channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCx_VZ48DOrINe4XA7Bvf99A

"I earned the right to shoot Havoc!"

Nefaro

Nice vid, Hof. 

Why did you keep calling the moon a "planet"?   :P

mikeck

Because his cat kept &$&-ing up his grove...throwing him off. Lol
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

steve58

Liking the looks of this one.  Any chance it'd run on my old rig?

CPU: Intel Core2Quad 9450 2.66GHz
RAM: 8 GB
Video: eVGA GeForce GTX 750 Ti Superclocked w/2GB RAM
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Jarhead0331

Quote from: steve58 on September 30, 2016, 03:27:51 PM
Liking the looks of this one.  Any chance it'd run on my old rig?

CPU: Intel Core2Quad 9450 2.66GHz
RAM: 8 GB
Video: eVGA GeForce GTX 750 Ti Superclocked w/2GB RAM

I don't see why not. Its not What I would describe as a graphically intensive game.
Grogheads Uber Alles
Semper Grog
"No beast is more alpha than JH." Gusington, 10/23/18

mikeck

Graphics wouldn't be an issue BUT, there are ALOT of calculations going on so you could see a slow down if your processor isn't up to it. Minimum is an Intel I5. I don't know much about it but I think you will be fine. Some experience stuttering when there are multiple ships firing multiple weapons at multiple targets from all the processing. Even if that does happen, it's not often and you don't need constantly high FPS to enjoy it
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

steve58

Thx JH, Mike.  Mike you make a good point.  Think I'll wait a bit and do some more research.
Government is not the solution to our problem—government is the problem.   Ronald Reagan
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.   Thomas Jefferson
During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.   George Orwell  The truth is quiet...It's the lies that are loud.   Jesus Revolution
If you ever find yourself in need of a safe space then you're probably going to have to stop calling yourself a social justice warrior. You cannot be a warrior and a pansy at the same time   Mike Adams (RIP Mike)

Nefaro

It's a turn-based game, though. 

So I'd think it would just take a bit longer for the turn to resolve, on a slow processor, unless it freezes or something. 

mikeck

I'm only basing my comments on a few videos where the guy mentions he is getting stuttering. I know there is a lot of processing going on. My guess is that as the game matures, any problems with optimization will be corrected. Anyone with even a below average processor should be able to enjoy it though, even if it does stutter a bit in combat

Nefaro

Quote from: mikeck on October 01, 2016, 12:31:41 PM
I'm only basing my comments on a few videos where the guy mentions he is getting stuttering. I know there is a lot of processing going on. My guess is that as the game matures, any problems with optimization will be corrected. Anyone with even a below average processor should be able to enjoy it though, even if it does stutter a bit in combat

If it stutters for some people, then I'd be a bit concerned about Steve's processor.  It is about 8 or 9 years old.

Edit:  Which isn't as bad an issue as if it were the case a decade ago.  But it also means that his system RAM is also probably quite small compared to newer machines.

steve58

I've done a few upgrades over the years and currently have 8GB RAM (originally 4GB) and a fairly decent GPU (GeForce GTX 750 Ti w/2GB RAM) so my old PC still soldiers on.  But like Mike stated, the game probably does a whole lot of calculations for interplanetary warfare.  A 1-on-1 fight might not be too bad, but a scenario with multiple ships on each side might be an issue.  Just gonna keep on researching the game for now and take a wait-and-see stance...

Grim.Reaper

Quote from: steve58 on October 01, 2016, 02:59:43 PM
I've done a few upgrades over the years and currently have 8GB RAM (originally 4GB) and a fairly decent GPU (GeForce GTX 750 Ti w/2GB RAM) so my old PC still soldiers on.  But like Mike stated, the game probably does a whole lot of calculations for interplanetary warfare.  A 1-on-1 fight might not be too bad, but a scenario with multiple ships on each side might be an issue.  Just gonna keep on researching the game for now and take a wait-and-see stance...

But the specs on the store page seem pretty small and seems like you can handle...worst case is you buy it and then refund it.

Processor: Intel Core i5 @ 1.70 GHz processor
Memory: 2 GB RAM
Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 4000
Storage: 200 MB available space

mikeck

Quote from: steve58 on October 01, 2016, 02:59:43 PM

Keep in mind that those multi ship battles where an old processor might chug aren't common. Vast majority of time is setting up orbits and getting in range and such. If it stutters only during the firing in a few battles (some are 1v1) then your not missing a whole lot. It MAY stutter but that's not a big deal...it's not a "shooter" or something where stuttering affects game performance

Pinetree

I've found out you can get gold on the missions by optimising a playthrough for each score. I'd already had a silver in the first mission for beating the time record so I went back and concentrated on minimising delta-v expenditure. I managed to get under the record so I was awarded gold.
Gen. Montgomery: "Your men don't salute much."
Gen. Freyberg: "Well, if you wave at them they'll usually wave back."