Naval Action coming to Steam EA on the 21st......

Started by AchillesLastStand, January 19, 2016, 02:33:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DennisS

Quote from: SirAndrewD on October 27, 2017, 10:39:45 PM
Been months since I've tried this one out.  Impression I was getting from the most recent info was that the game had pretty much lost its way. 

Still an amazing game visually, and the sail combat is just second to none.   I've just seen very little evidence that it's ever going to progress beyond that thin veneer.

I have about 500 hours in the game, and it seems like a ghostland. Very few players for each server, certainly not enough to make it viable.

Cyrano

Prussians.

Awesome.

Proof where none was needed that technical competence in modelling ships or anything else does not equate to excellence in game design.

Game design is hard.
Sergeant at Arms of La Fraternite des Boutons Carres

One mustachioed, cigar-chomping, bespectacled deity, entirely at your service.

You didn't know? My Corps has already sailed to Berlin. We got there 3 days ago and we've been in the Tiergarten on the piss ever since. -- Marshal Soult, October 1806

Destraex

Quote from: Philippe on October 28, 2017, 12:52:03 PM
The source for the Prussian navy reference:

http://steamcommunity.com/app/311310/discussions/15/1484358860952920058/

My heart sank when I read this.

Interesting.
Poland/Russia and Prussia. "Goes to check books to see if they had any ships in this era"

IIRC the Prussians had some sort of large merchant organisation.
"They only asked the Light Brigade to do it once"

Destraex

The only historic fleet here is Russia?
The Prussians had no interest in a navy but did have armed merchants.
THe Polish\Lithuanian Commonwealth had Courlands navy? Which is probably way out of timeframe?
http://3decks.pbworks.com/w/page/913374/Courland

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prussian_Navy#The_19th_century

SirAndrewD

When are we going to get a large and strong faction for the Grand Duchy of Fenwick?  I won't play again until we do.
"These men do not want a happy ship. They are deeply sick and try to compensate by making me feel miserable. Last week was my birthday. Nobody even said "happy birthday" to me. Someday this tape will be played and then they'll feel sorry."  - Sgt. Pinback

MengJiao

Quote from: SirAndrewD on October 28, 2017, 11:13:50 PM
When are we going to get a large and strong faction for the Grand Duchy of Fenwick?  I won't play again until we do.

You could all join me in fighting for Spain and we could take over the world.

mikeck

They need to figure out what this game is. The Devs keep changing things back and forth. Ships are easy to craft. No...now they are hard to craft. No, now they are easy. They can't figure out if the world is a backdrop for individual naval combat or a fleshed out world with an economy. It's been in development since 2014 and I've been plying since early 2016. I can tell you that with the exception of more ship types, VERY little has changed at all. Still using a placeholder UI for god's sake.

I think they should get rid of the economy and trade. You should be able to sell goods you pirate or receive prize money if your a captain but that's it. Trading and the economy seem to be worse. Ow than before and it's taking away from the rest

I love the battles and it's hard to find any of my 1000's of posts ANY complaints about ANY games..so I'm not picky. But damn...this game is going backwards and they have no idea what it is supposed to be
"A government large enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have."--Thomas Jefferson

RedArgo

Devs posted some information about Naval Action Legends, the arena fighting version of the game.  Currently in closed beta, and I'm not in, so I don't have more information than this.

http://forum.game-labs.net/topic/22264-some-information-on-na-legends-roadmap-and-qa/

Destraex

NEW PATCH"
this sailing model sounds bloody amazeballs! I wonder if it will be what differentiates the open world from legends. The model has lee way and all of the other things we have wanted. Even has wind blocking.

"realism due to implementation of Leeway, Turning acceleration, Effects of speed on sail power and other minor tunings. Ship block coefficients, form of hull, length to width, amount of individual sails on individual masts (including jibs, spankers, square sails and staysails percentages) all affect ships even better now."

PVP servers have also been merged which will help the population.

http://forum.game-labs.net/topic/24200-patch-14-part-3-experimental-patch-increasing-realism-in-ship-behavior/

Destraex

Naval Action just had an update and the port interface looks to be in. A very surprising and innovative interface actually. But one that offers a similar view to what we already have in the open world as a backdrop. The actual interface though, I think has the makings of a star. All the windows are movable just like windows95. Drag them around and create your own little desktop with what you want. Kinda cool really.

However it would be good if the ports buildings did not look so oversized  and out of place compared to the ship from an immersion standpoint. The buildings are ok at a distance in the open world but very strange when you are zoomed right next to it. The wooden jetty is the same. Huge and not in scale with the ship. A wharf would be better. Would love to see some actual human elements to the port as well. Like men running around visualising your ship. Maintaining the paint and fixing the ship in general. You know. Something to indicate that you are not actually at sea anymore. But docked in a port.

In general though I really love the concept for the port UI. In general though I really love the concept for the port UI. The art work is top notch and really immersive on the card based interface parts. Lovely. A really great job in that respect!!

Also I think smaller ships like frigates would be docked along the peer rather than at the end. Larger ships would commonly not come close at all unless they were refitting. They would send boats:

RedArgo

I've been playing a little bit tonight, in addition to the nice UI changes, they've also removed the middle materials (like iron fittings) that you used to have to build from raw materials in order to build final materials.  They've also split the money in Reals (silver) and Doubloons (gold).  Looks like maybe Doubloons only come from fighting right now?  I could be wrong though.  There are more mission types that earn Doubloons too.  Have to spend more time to see if I like the changes.

Also, at least as of tonight, the server population (on pvp) is still low.  Too bad.

Destraex

We just got open world wind gust accelleration mechanics. I am doing 40kts in my Bellona :)
This will save so much game time.

Also the peace server has port battles.

EDIT: Sorry looks like I just necroed :(

Yskonyn

:D Wow, time flies. Has it really been almost a year since we discussed Naval Action last... ouch.
"Pilots do not get paid for what they do daily, but they get paid for what they are capable of doing.
However, if pilots would need to do daily what they are capable of doing, nobody would dare to fly anymore."

Destraex

Not at all. There was another thread. I just missed it in my search.
Today the loki rune is enabled on thr peace server. An oversight I think.

MengJiao

Quote from: Destraex on October 29, 2019, 12:41:47 AM
Not at all. There was another thread. I just missed it in my search.
Today the loki rune is enabled on thr peace server. An oversight I think.

There seems to be an update coming up (or that has already happened)...I might take a peek for a few minutes