Lord of the Rings LCG

Started by Silent Disapproval Robot, December 29, 2015, 08:51:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silent Disapproval Robot

My copy was delivered yesterday and I set it up today to try out the solo version.  I selected the "easy" scenario to start with and promptly got my ass handed to me.  I didn't even come close to getting past the first encounter card (1 progress token out of 8).  I set it up again and went with a different deck.  I did a little better this time but still didn't manage to get past the first card (4/8 progress tokens).  Man, this game is hard!  I'm going to try again tomorrow but I'll use two player decks instead of one to see if that helps.

Bison

Yeah the game is a great challenge and very fun to play solo. 

Silent Disapproval Robot

Playing with two decks definitely seems to make progress easier but I still managed to get both parties killed by spideys in the end.

Fun game!

Nefaro

Quote from: Silent Disapproval Robot on December 30, 2015, 09:52:54 PM
Playing with two decks definitely seems to make progress easier but I still managed to get both parties killed by spideys in the end.

Fun game!

Saw some people recommend playing with more than one to start off with since the core set's premade decks are rather singular in their purpose and, therefore, each have more notable weaknesses.

Of course, you can create your own single deck mix after getting acquainted with the system.  :)

Silent Disapproval Robot

I just have the core set and the two Hobbit expansions. After I finally beat the "easy" scenario from the core set,  I tried out the first scenario in The Hobbit only to discover that it is mathematically impossible to win with the single "recommended" deck that I used in my first attempt.  I thought I'd try a two handed deck only to discover that you need two copies of the expansion to build the two recommended decks as both decks require 3 of the same cards to be considered complete.     

smittyohio

Silent Disapproval Robot

W8taminute

I've always wondered if this game is any good ever since I discovered Star Wars LCG by the same company. 
"You and I are of a kind. In a different reality, I could have called you friend."

Romulan Commander to Kirk

Silent Disapproval Robot

I like it.  I think I like Star Wars better but this one offers up solitaire play which is nice.

airboy

This is a tough game.  It also has a lot of rules quirks.  The nice part is that it is a cooperative game if you play with several people.

Silent Disapproval Robot

I bought the two Hobbit expansions thinking they'd be easier because, well it's the Hobbit.  Jesus Christ is the starting mission with the Trolls hard!  It took me at least 10 tries before I made it. 

I'm now playing the Black Riders expansion.  Also really tough.  I am still on the 2nd mission where you have to get out of Bree and dodge the Ringwraiths.  I've finally figured out the tactic that I need to win (never, ever let the wraiths enter the deck) but I can't quite manage to beat the final fight before the threat dial reaches 50.