Grogs Online D&D group?

Started by acctingman, October 09, 2017, 10:27:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

acctingman

Is there a grogs group that does some D&D online using Roll20 or something similar?

I've been thinking about joining something like this, but my fear is finding groups of nothing but homers, loser and dweebs  L:-)<---not saying that most of us here are a little  :uglystupid2:

jamus34

I've actually been looking for the same thing. My main issue is time commitments as my availabity can vary especially on weekends.
Insert witty comment here.

bayonetbrant

there was one going for a little while, as well as some play-by-forum-post games.  Scroll back thru this subforum and you can find the participants.  I know MetalDog and Bison were the main drivers in at least 1 of them, but it slowed down the with Bison babies were imminent.
The key to surviving this site is to not say something which ends up as someone's tag line - Steelgrave

"their citizens (all of them counted as such) glorified their mythology of 'rights'...and lost track of their duties. No nation, so constituted, can endure." Robert Heinlein, Starship Troopers

acctingman

Bison babies.......sounds like sliders!!!!  :2funny:

BanzaiCat

I'd be interested, too. I joined an IRL D&D group a while ago but I've only had time to meet twice in person. :(

Might be a lot easier to play online than IRL for me.

MetalDog

Bison and me played together through Fantasy Grounds and used Steam voice to communicate.  We had several players, but, his buddies were on the West Coast and in England, so....finding a time that was workable for all of us was pretty difficult.  I roped my cousin in for a session and we had a good time, but, as Brant said, Bison babies on the horizon and time commitments put the kibosh on that, too.  And before you ask, yes it's easy to do on Fantasy Grounds.  And no, I do not have any of the PDF's to be able to do it myself.  Now, if you can find a sucker, er, ummm, a DM to run it, I would be glad to participate if the time is good for my schedule.
And the One Song to Rule Them All is Gimme Shelter - Rolling Stones

"If its a Balrog, I don't think you get an option to not consent......." - bob

Dammit Carl!

Down for pbp once back in the States.

Nefaro

I was thinking of starting up a Play-By-Post here, on the forum, probably later this month.

Although it wouldn't specifically be a D&D game.  I'd want to go with a more narrative/storytelling system that doesn't require a lot of stats, spells, etc. due to the needs of keeping a PbP game flowing well.

Was thinking of trying a FATE game setting, or maybe a 'Powered by the Apocalypse' one, or a derivative of such. 

Being October, figured doing a modern fantasy-horror style would be fun.  Something light like Dresden Files Accelerated (Fate Accelerated) or maybe Monster of the Week (PbtA) if others were up for it.  Monster hunting, in a modern setting, with players being monstrous or gifted in some way too.

:nerd:

bbmike

If it works I might start a Star Trek one. Just don't expect to see any Hortas.
"My life is spent in one long effort to escape from the commonplace of existence."
-Sherlock Holmes

"You know, just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that wasn't immune to bullets."
-Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart

"There's a horror movie called Alien? That's really offensive. No wonder everyone keeps invading you!"
-The Doctor

"Before Man goes to the stars he should learn how to live on Earth."
-Clifford D. Simak

airboy

Quote from: Nefaro on October 10, 2017, 10:41:12 AM
I was thinking of starting up a Play-By-Post here, on the forum, probably later this month.

Although it wouldn't specifically be a D&D game.  I'd want to go with a more narrative/storytelling system that doesn't require a lot of stats, spells, etc. due to the needs of keeping a PbP game flowing well.

Was thinking of trying a FATE game setting, or maybe a 'Powered by the Apocalypse' one, or a derivative of such. 

Being October, figured doing a modern fantasy-horror style would be fun.  Something light like Dresden Files Accelerated (Fate Accelerated) or maybe Monster of the Week (PbtA) if others were up for it.  Monster hunting, in a modern setting, with players being monstrous or gifted in some way too.

I would be up for a horror RPG/Mystery sort of thing. 

Lord knows I have 100+ Call of Cthulhu scenarios.

BanzaiCat

I'm down for just about anything. Maybe I'll start a Paranoia game in that vein depending on how things go. I think this group of people would be PERFECT for that system.

airboy

Quote from: BanzaiCat on October 14, 2017, 09:03:20 PM
I'm down for just about anything. Maybe I'll start a Paranoia game in that vein depending on how things go. I think this group of people would be PERFECT for that system.

Friend computer does not like puns.

BanzaiCat

It depends. If a pun outs a Commie mutant traitor, Our Friend may show leniency.

Nefaro

Quote from: airboy on October 14, 2017, 07:22:57 PM
Quote from: Nefaro on October 10, 2017, 10:41:12 AM

I would be up for a horror RPG/Mystery sort of thing. 

Lord knows I have 100+ Call of Cthulhu scenarios.

:bd:

I also have Call of Cthulhu 7th edition, but I wanted to run a system that isn't too crunchy for a Play By Forum game. 

Will have to find out if more interest lies in people doing an Apocalypse World or Fate engine'd game.  I like the latter more, but the previous is the most ideal to get in and run quickly without much teaching to do.  Which is probably ideal when you have to wait on people posting for each exchange.

Think I'll have to start with Monster of the Week (AWE) just to make it easy on all of us. 

Dammit Carl!

Apocalypse stuff looks interesting for sure.  Sitting on Dungeon World, Spirit of '77, and now the newly released Bedlam Hall. Last 2 are fun reads to boot.