Whats on your painting table/workbench?

Started by TheCommandTent, July 08, 2012, 09:47:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheCommandTent

This is the thread for miniature gamers to post pictures of whats on your painting table, workbench, or any WIP.
"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

TheCommandTent

I'll get this started.  In the picture below you can see I have a few projects going on my painting table.  The mass of figures in the middle are a recent purchase I made on eBay of painted figures that I am giving a wash and basing.

"No wants, no needs, we weren't meant for that, none of us.  Man stagnates if he has no ambition, no desire to be more than he is."

LongBlade

I've got a bunch of stuff in midstream but my most recent purchase is a cheap model of the Lost in Space robot. for some reason I'm really stoked to paint it. Don't know why, but it's what I've been looking forward to for a couple of weeks while I was out of town.

It's an easy build and only about three or so inches high in the photo. I'm not sure I'll even fill in the seams as it's probably more work than is worth. But it's got me really jazzed. At this point the rest of the model is mostly clear parts so I'll prime and start painting what's assembled and then add the rest once it's done.

All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

TheCommandTent

I am assuming that won't be for gaming but it will make a great desk toy. :)

Staggerwing

Quote from: TheCommandTent on July 09, 2012, 07:33:30 PM

It will no doubt serve as an early warning system against zombie attack. Now all LB has to do is change his name to 'Will Robinson' and he's good to go...
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

LongBlade

Quote from: Staggerwing on July 09, 2012, 07:35:51 PM
Quote from: TheCommandTent on July 09, 2012, 07:33:30 PM

It will no doubt serve as an early warning system against zombie attack. Now all LB has to do is change his name to 'Will Robinson' and he's good to go...

That is an excellent point. The constant warnings for someone other than myself are likely to be ignored. I should have thought of that before I paid for it.

Yes, I'm thinking it will make excellent office decor. Until the zombies come. Then I don't have to be faster than the zombies - just faster than my robot (who will be shouting, "Danger, Will Robinson!")

Rekim

my table/workbench is dedicated to some type of wargame 99% of the time...naturally  ;)

ASL or VG Carrier taking up most of the time these days.

the table top is plexiglass. I throw a older sheet of plexiglass on top of that to convert it to workbench mode.

LongBlade

Good point, Rekim.

That image I took wasn't from my "workbench." That was from a side table where I sometimes file and assemble models in the family room. When I'm ready to actually start making a mess I'll head to my library which has a big drop cloth on it.

Or sometimes I will bring a lapdesk into the family room, but only for more detailed painting - the fam likes me being in the room with them...sometimes.

TheCommandTent

Several months ago I scored two great deals on eBay using some left over gift cards.  Given how slow I am at painting I lucked out by getting the great deals on some prepainted figures.  I believe they are GW LOTR Moria Goblins but I will be using them in my fantasy campaign.  In the picture below you can see most of them on my workbench how I received them waiting for some touch up.

As you can see I bought them mostly painted and glued to their bases.  The goblin flesh was not a bright enough green for my taste.  The need for a brighter green is because they also all need a dark wash to bring out the details. So after adding a brighter coat of green, basing them and giving them a black wash I have some bad guys for my campaign.

Not a very good picture but my camera has been acting up.  I did a simple brown base with a light highlight.  Grass and other plants don't survive long under the trampling feet of goblins.

LongBlade

Cool.

I've got a bunch of Flames of War minis that are in mid-paint. I'll probably break out my airbrush to do them. Just been putting it off because I don't really feel like I'm ready for the setup (not that it's huge, but I'm nibbling around the edges).

TheCommandTent

Quote from: LongBlade on July 25, 2012, 11:59:34 PM
Cool.

I've got a bunch of Flames of War minis that are in mid-paint. I'll probably break out my airbrush to do them. Just been putting it off because I don't really feel like I'm ready for the setup (not that it's huge, but I'm nibbling around the edges).

You've got an airbrush!  Im jealous.  I am such a slow painter and generally don't paint alot at once so I haven't been able to justify getting one.

LongBlade

Quote from: TheCommandTent on July 26, 2012, 08:06:46 AM
You've got an airbrush!  Im jealous.  I am such a slow painter and generally don't paint alot at once so I haven't been able to justify getting one.

I don't paint as much as I should (or could) but it's nice to have. I bought a good dual-action brush. I still don't really have the hang of it, but when the kids go back to school I'll break it out and start catching up on stuff. I've developed something of a backlog of Stuff To Paint.

TheCommandTent

Quote from: LongBlade on July 26, 2012, 10:47:54 AM
Quote from: TheCommandTent on July 26, 2012, 08:06:46 AM

I don't paint as much as I should (or could) but it's nice to have. I bought a good dual-action brush. I still don't really have the hang of it, but when the kids go back to school I'll break it out and start catching up on stuff. I've developed something of a backlog of Stuff To Paint.

Do you use it just for base coating or can you get some of the detail work done with it?

LongBlade

Quote from: TheCommandTent on July 26, 2012, 11:15:18 AM
Do you use it just for base coating or can you get some of the detail work done with it?

Not really sure.

Mostly I use it for quick a quick base coat. However I have three needle sizes and one is for fine brushing. I've not used it yet, but I suspect that it will work well enough. In the past I did use it once to spray on some camo on a Lehman Russ scale tank. I'm figuring that I'll use it to give some nice camo splotches to my Flames minis.

TheCommandTent

^I'll be interested to see your results.