Microprose Resurrected

Started by steve58, June 24, 2019, 07:23:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toonces

Interesting.  I'd be interested in seeing video of that if you can find something.  I'll look, too.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

bubs

Quote from: Toonces on June 25, 2019, 10:30:22 AM
I got pretty excited about this when I read the thread title, but not the linked article.  (Who know Combatsim.com was still around?)

This is just a resurrection of Warbirds.  Warbirds has been around a really long time, but it got usurped by Aces High like a decade ago.  Only a small hard core of people played Warbirds, if it was even still alive these last few years.

If I'm reading this correctly, Microprose is teaming up to bring back this multi-player flight sim...I'm not seeing a lot to get excited about TBH.  Aces High has had a pretty robust player base and has invested a ton in bringing their graphics up to modern standards and even it is having trouble keeping players.  There are just too many other free options, and I think World of Warplanes is the new king of the block.  It's just what the new generation of players wants.  The monthly subscription model is a tough sell in today's market.

This might surpass all the current online flight games we know and here's why:

- They are using Unreal Engine 4 (which means new graphics and physics)
- They announced free to play  + subscription  (basic planes will be free, subscription will be purchasable for 1 day, 1 week, 1 month)
- The flight modelling code has been opened up to volunteers who are helping in making the most realistic FM's possible, nothing can beat community involvement in game development
- There was also info in the announcement that they are using some kind of technology to render 'world wide' areas, no more info was specified, but it might mean we might see some huge areas, potentialy even whole contintent like Europe or Pacific

GDS_Starfury

Quote from: Toonces on June 25, 2019, 10:30:22 AM
The monthly subscription model is a tough sell in today's market.

no its not.  there are a lot of games that say "free to play".  almost none of them are if you really get into them.
Wot is 9 years old and Im still putting money into it. 
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.

Toonces

^ Buying unlocks isn't the same as paying a monthly fee, every month, whether you play the game or not.

Anyway, I'm just speculating based on the discussions I followed on Aces High's forums a while back.  I guess we'll see how well this business model survives contact with the enemy soon enough.
"If you had a chance, right now, to go back in time and stop Hitler, wouldn't you do it?  I mean, I personally wouldn't stop him because I think he's awesome." - Eric Cartman

"Does a watch list mean you are being watched or is it a come on to Toonces?" - Biggs

bobarossa

A monthly fee was a heck of a lot better than the hourly fees I paid for Airwarrior and Warbirds back in the 90's. 

Staggerwing

Quote from: bobarossa on July 19, 2019, 03:17:40 PM
A monthly fee was a heck of a lot better than the hourly fees I paid for Airwarrior and Warbirds back in the 90's.

Yeah, those were the days... dogfighting against bunches of grey triangles while hoping that you could soon upgrade your connection speed so the triangles would gain new colors and actually look like Spits and FWs.
Vituð ér enn - eða hvat?  -Voluspa

Nothing really rocks and nothing really rolls and nothing's ever worth the cost...

"Don't you look at me that way..." -the Abyss

'When searching for a meaningful embrace, sometimes my self respect took second place' -Iggy Pop, Cry for Love

... this will go down on your permanent record... -the Violent Femmes, 'Kiss Off'-

"I'm not just anyone, I'm not just anyone-
I got my time machine, got my 'electronic dream!"
-Sonic Reducer, -Dead Boys

bubs

Quote from: Toonces on July 19, 2019, 11:34:36 AM
^ Buying unlocks isn't the same as paying a monthly fee, every month, whether you play the game or not.

Anyway, I'm just speculating based on the discussions I followed on Aces High's forums a while back.  I guess we'll see how well this business model survives contact with the enemy soon enough.

The word is that the subscription is still there, but this time you can purchase it for 1 day and 1 week also as opposed to full month.

There won't be any paid unlocks, the 'free to play' will be just what it  says, there will be free planes that you can fly.

bubs

They got some stuff on their twitter....... but it's a different project

https://twitter.com/micro_prose

The_Admiral

Yes, but unlike Warbirds this is actually from their in-house team developing simulations around the TitanIM engine. Following this one, could be a very nice and impressive comeback.  :hug:

GDS_Starfury

Quote from: Toonces on July 19, 2019, 11:34:36 AM

I wasnt even thinking about unlocks or whatever.   theres still a monthly fee
Jarhead - Yeah. You're probably right.

Gus - I use sweatpants with flannel shorts to soak up my crotch sweat.

Banzai Cat - There is no "partial credit" in grammar. Like anal sex. It's either in, or it's not.

Mirth - We learned long ago that they key isn't to outrun Star, it's to outrun Gus.

Martok - I don't know if it's possible to have an "anti-boner"...but I now have one.

Gus - Celery is vile and has no reason to exist. Like underwear on Star.