Car Wars... nothing by Car Wars...

Started by son_of_montfort, May 06, 2012, 07:07:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wodin

I owned  Car Wars and it's two expansions in about '83-'84, came in a DVD like case with paper maps and beautiful counters. I heard the later versions of the game simplified it.

A pc game using the original Car Wars rules with top down map and counters is needed.

Centurion40

Quote from: Wodin on May 13, 2012, 09:37:50 AM
I owned  Car Wars and it's two expansions in about '83-'84, came in a DVD like case with paper maps and beautiful counters.

I remember that!
Any time is a good time for pie.

Wodin

IF and it's a big IF they haven't been thrown away by my parents in one of their moves then they'll  be in the attic.

Arctic Blast

Dammit! Now I'm looking over at Noble Knight to see what Car Wars stuff they have. 107 products found?!

I don't need any more board games...I need to take a break from buying...

Thanks a lot, guys. Thanks a lot.

Wodin

Arctic, I'm not sure I know how the later editions played out. From what I read I didn't like the direction it had gone in. If you ever find the original Car Wars then Sunday Drivers then Truck Stop in good condition with all the contents I'd say buy it, as long as it isn't extortionate.

son_of_montfort

Quote from: Arctic Blast on May 13, 2012, 03:40:13 PM
Dammit! Now I'm looking over at Noble Knight to see what Car Wars stuff they have. 107 products found?!

I would wait. I expect Steve Jackson will put up that Kickstarter project fairly soon and the new edition of Car Wars will be out next year sometime. If it is anything like the deluxe edition of Ogre, it will be a thing of beauty.
"Now it is no accident all these conservatives are using time travel to teach our kids. It is the best way to fight back against the liberal version of history, or as it is sometimes known... history."

- Stephen Colbert

"The purpose of religion is to answer the ultimate question, are we in control or is there some greater force pulling the strings? And if the courts rule that corporations have the same religious rights that we humans do, I think we'll have our answer."

- Stephen Colbert

Wodin

Again if it's Car wars classic then I'd buy it, if it's like the revised editions I wouldn't bother myself. Also it's only available to USA.

Jack Nastyface

Car wars was an excellent example of how a relatively small, niche interest game grew into a multi-layered, multi-interest gaming experience.  The basic game was simple enough, but players wanted more.  Enter expansions for a city/urban fighting, autoduel tournament maps (gladiatorial combat with cars!), weapon, armor and accessory mods, big rigs, boat-wars, aero-wars, a tank supplement, a regular magazine (autoduel quarterly), regional road atlas and survival guides, solo gamebooks, and so much more.  So unlike many other game franchises, it was fairly easy to create whatever flavour of Car Wars gaming experience you wanted.  One group of guys I played with was all about "building your own" vehicle and then testing it out in the arena or city streets.  Another group I played with were more into the RPG campaign experience.
One of my favorite mini-expansions (I believe from an ADQ mag) was a scenario where you drove through (and wreaked havoc!) in a suburban shopping mall.

I still have all my gear in storage.  I suppose I should go dig it out someday.

Yours in gaming,

Jack Nastyface

Now, the problem is, how to divide five Afghans from three mules and have two Englishmen left over.

Wodin

Thing is everything you mentioned was already in the first three games. Sunday Drivers had a huge city map, plus gang warfare on foot! Truck Stop Brought in the big rigs. No planes or boats or tanks though, which to me is a blessing.

The reboot of the basic games was cut back loads, and then you where slowly drip fed all the stuff thats was already in the original three games.

Arctic Blast

Quote from: son_of_montfort on May 13, 2012, 07:08:02 PM
Quote from: Arctic Blast on May 13, 2012, 03:40:13 PM

I would wait. I expect Steve Jackson will put up that Kickstarter project fairly soon and the new edition of Car Wars will be out next year sometime. If it is anything like the deluxe edition of Ogre, it will be a thing of beauty.

Yeah, I've reached the conclusion that waiting makes more sense. Otherwise, I'm wading through masses of modules and rule sets which I know absolutely nothing about. So we'll see what new stuff comes out. Maybe it will even involve my first ever Kickstart funding...

Wodin

Arctic, if or when it hits Kickstarter, buy it. I imagine it will hit massive figures so I'd hope mini's would be included. That would be something. I'd even try and find a way to get one sent to the UK"

Wodin